Space Jam 2

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Space Jam 2

Post by EricJ » April 8th, 2021, 1:05 pm

Dacey wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:58 pm
but the singing violent rapists from A Clockwork Orange are.
Okay, THIS is Warner's official cry for help. :shock:

Any chance we can get a class-action lawsuit from the Anthony Burgess/Stanley Kubrick estates, along with Tolkien's, Stephen King, Bob Kane/Bill Finger's, and whoever else's cultural property Warner appropriated without copyright for the movie, to remind us it was "theirs" and available on video?
(We know we won't get one from JK Rowling.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 8th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Dacey wrote:
...but the singing violent rapists from A Clockwork Orange are. :?
"Eh, we like rape!" ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 8th, 2021, 4:54 pm

Heck, at this point, let's have Alex dancing "Singin' in the Rain" WITH a CGI Gene Kelly, Warner's pushing that brandname in our faces, too...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 8th, 2021, 8:08 pm

We don’t need no CG Kelly... Already got one!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 10th, 2021, 3:48 am

Dacey wrote:
Or by having him do something like hit on Lola, get beat up by her, and Lebron is like "Dude, where the heck you think you're from?" and he mutters, through pain, "a different era."
Perfect line, perfect solution.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 10th, 2021, 4:17 am

Dacey wrote:
Or by having him do something like hit on Lola, get beat up by her, and Lebron is like "Dude, where the heck you think you're from?" and he mutters, through pain, "a different era."
Assuming the...kind of people who want to symbolically beat up on the "social implications" of movie and cartoon characters never actually watch the movies and cartoons closely enough to remember any lines from them, they often forget that Pepe usually got beaten up for his romantic pursuits he never actually achieved, and the humor was in how happily determined he was not to get a clue.

Like when Penelope grabbed a baseball bat and clubbed Pepe senseless until he was seeing three of her: "The one in the middle...marry me--The rest of you...another day."
Or when Pepe mistook a white-stripe-painted wildcat for a skunk and got a tornado of claws every time he turned on the charm: "If you have not tried it...do not knock it. :mrgreen: "

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 10th, 2021, 5:08 am

What are you doing here?

— A very brief cameo.

Me too...

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 10th, 2021, 10:03 am

Also good. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 10th, 2021, 10:07 am

EricJ wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 4:17 am
Assuming the...kind of people who want to symbolically beat up on the "social implications" of movie and cartoon characters never actually watch the movies and cartoons closely enough to remember any lines from them, they often forget that Pepe usually got beaten up for his romantic pursuits he never actually achieved, and the humor was in how happily determined he was not to get a clue.
Exactly. Pepe was never held up as an example of how to treat women. He was the butt of the joke! However, like the trope of the benign town drunk, it seems that there are some things we're no longer allowed to find funny in modern entertainment. Thank goodness that I still have Pepe's DVD set.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 10th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Randall wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 10:07 am
Exactly. Pepe was never held up as an example of how to treat women. He was the butt of the joke!
Not just that he didn't know when to quit, but that his "pickup lines" were increasingly ridiculous:
Like when the two each go sailing off a ski jump and flying through the air, Pepe catches up with Penelope and pretends to be a pilot--"'(machine gun sounds)'...I pierce you with the Ack-Ack of Love, flowerpot!"--and immediately wipes out into a tree.
"...Poems are made by fools like me. :oops: "

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 14th, 2021, 9:28 am

Ester eggs and plot info.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 14th, 2021, 1:10 pm

"My favorite addition to this team is just the character of Gossamer"

I feel the same way. I'm a huge fan. Still have a bunch of merch from the Warner Bros. Studio Store. Oh, how I miss that shop dearly! From what we see he looks great in CG!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2021, 2:41 am

Wow...that guy is exhausting!

I’m actually loving the "real" versions of these characters well over the "hand-drawn" versions, which looks like cheaper DTV animation; they could have made the traditional scenes have a bit more pop, like the first Jam.

All these characters beg the question, though: if everything looks so dire for the good guys and you have the likes of Superman, Iron Giant, The Mask, etc, on hand, they better come up with a decent reason why they don’t all just barge in and help the Tunes, maybe like being "de-rezzed" if they step foot on the court (but then still wouldn’t explain why they couldn’t taken them out while in their changing rooms...)...

Or am I already thinking too much into this? Yes, probably, but if you’re going to do this kind of thing, you still need "rules". Yes, rules are there to be broken, but if you don’t have an explanation for why they are there but can’t interact, then they are just there as fan bait spectators, and may as well be *anyone* rather than known characters.

Then again, since you have the likes of the different Jokers, Catwomans, the Droogies, etc, this does seem to imply that they know they are fictional characters in a WB-owned universe, and that they have to behave. Although that stil doesn’t explain how they all seem to have their traditional character traits and abilities...

Yeah, way too much thinking popping inna my head on this one. Ouch! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 15th, 2021, 8:03 pm

Daniel wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 1:10 pm
"My favorite addition to this team is just the character of Gossamer"
[Obligatory reminder that Rudolph from "Water, Water, Every Hare" didn't get his "name" until a lame, forced, over-milked post-retirement-Chuck gag in 1980's "Duck Dodgers and the Return of the 24th-1/2th Century"--
Which of the two do you feel to be a PROPER toon-canon source?] :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2021, 4:52 am

I never really got the name change, since Monster wasn’t even given the Rudolph name until his second appearance in Water, Water, and then didn’t exactly keep appearing in the cartoons until after the Dodgers sequel. I think I’ve probably always known it, or more appropriately It ;), as Gossamer as I probably saw The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie first, where the cartoon first featured.

Since Chuck named them both, it’s odd why he didn’t stick with Rudolph, but if they just went back to the first cartoon, Hare-Raising Hare, then it wouldn’t have had a name, and maybe he just came up with one for what they were working on. Either way, he named them both, and the way Bugs teases "Goss...amer" is funnier than Rudolph anyway.

That is, IF it is they are all the same Monster...