Shrek reboot

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Shrek reboot

Post by ShyViolet » March 15th, 2021, 11:30 pm

The real heart of that movie is the relationship between Fiona and Shrek, plus Donkey and Shrek. (Even the Fiona/Donkey bond was sweet.). But boy, I do have to admit, 95% of the references (not jokes) are SO dated! :shock: I mean the Macarena, SmashMouth, the Matrix: how late 90s/early 21st century can you get?? (I do still love SmashMouth though! Lol :))

*Also, how come we never saw Fiona use her Matrix skills again? Ha.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 16th, 2021, 12:13 am

Matrix still gets referenced today, for better or for worst.

Heck Disney Junior’s Mickey and the Cars That Go Vroom even spoofed it—and it was kind of funny!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2021, 5:45 am

The Matrix is such a cultural touchstone that it will still be being referenced for years to come.

I bet you Matrix 4 references it next year. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 16th, 2021, 11:21 am

ShyViolet wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:30 pm
*Also, how come we never saw Fiona use her Matrix skills again? Ha.
Because John Lasseter came back to Disney, so all of a sudden Disney princesses were "okay" again, and Katzenberg's feminist-kissup anti-princess jokes to throw at Michael Eisner turned stale overnight?
That's probably why we never saw any of the other "Princess-Fu" scenes after #2.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 16th, 2021, 11:31 am

Except for, you know, that entire subplot involving Fiona getting the other princesses to fight in Shrek the Third.

And Fiona being a warrior princess in Forever After.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 16th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Oh, thank you. I KNEW Jeff wouldn't give up on his chick-kissups so easily, since he knew they were singlehandedly supporting the studio after women were the only ones to laugh at Fiona's jokes in the first movie.
That's how we got most of Monsters vs. Aliens, after all. :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 16th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Well that's all nonsense...

Also we do have a lot of women who read our forum, Eric. Just throwin' that out there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » April 10th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Like that means anything to a hater...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 10th, 2021, 4:33 pm

Considering it has never been quote-fingers "denied" (cringe) I'm inclined to believe there's truth to it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 11th, 2021, 1:22 pm

FWIW, I actually always felt the “kick-a** princesses” thing in the Shrek films was really tired, even, to some degree, in the original Shrek. And ESPECIALLY in 3. (Also having Julie Andrews/the Queen be one of them just didn’t feel right for some reason! :?)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 11th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Weirdly enough, in Shrek 2, Fiona's headbutt of Prince Charming which gets a big laugh was changed to a karate chop in the UK. I guess the headbutt was deemed too "violent", but it's definitely funnier.

Also weirdly enough, regarding Shrek the Third, Snow White unleashing Hell on a bunch of fairy tale villains via woodland creatures is a highlight of that movie for me, along with the "Gingey's life flashing before his eyes" gag.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 11th, 2021, 3:33 pm

Hands down the funniest moment. Go Gingy!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 11th, 2021, 10:39 pm

Gingy the champion! :) 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 12th, 2021, 12:11 am

Dacey wrote:
April 11th, 2021, 3:18 pm
Weirdly enough, in Shrek 2, Fiona's headbutt of Prince Charming which gets a big laugh was changed to a karate chop in the UK. I guess the headbutt was deemed too "violent", but it's definitely funnier.
The UK censors seem to have an issue with headbutts in family films. There have been a lot of movies that have had a headbutt removed to guarantee a family friendly rating. Not sure why they find a headbutt more violent than other actions.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 12th, 2021, 4:11 am

Yeah, in my opinion that initial fight between Shrek and Puss (and Donkey) is way more violent/disturbing, even if Shrek and Puss do end up becoming friends.