AV Founder

Shrek reboot

Post by James » November 7th, 2018, 8:16 am

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Shrek reboot

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Well, to be fair...this does sound like it will be a Shrek 5 in all but name. Look for a series of new titles such as Shrek: Far Far Away, or somesuch, which soft-reboots the franchise for newcomers but continues it for old fans, especially with the news that they want the original voice cast.

More worrying is that DreamWorks' biggest franchise has moved over to Illumination, and what that may mean for the future...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 7th, 2018, 4:15 pm

James wrote:WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????
....OWNERSHIIIIIIIIIIIP!!!!!

Ie., now that DreamWorks isn't DreamWorks anymore (<- there, now Ben won't blow a blood vessel), and is now a paper trademark owned as part of Universal/Illumination, to be exploited for sentimental audience-identification house-marketing franchise to line their own pockets as they see fit--Basically, the same reason Disney did all those Muppets movies. Er, you did notice that Universal made the big press announcement during the promotional weekend-opening hype for Illumination's Grinch?
What, did you think they were going to bring back Kung Fu Panda, like Jeffrey Katzenberg would have if he were still working there? :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2018, 6:56 pm

So...what I said, then.

And..."all" those Muppet movies? What, all two of them?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 7th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Ben wrote:So...what I said, then.
And..."all" those Muppet movies? What, all two of them?
Yep. Not counting that ABC monstrosity.

Basically, think of it like when you get remarried: You might be stepdad to some kids from a previous marriage, but they still won't actually 100% be YOUR kids, unless you actually get together and have some of your own.
That's Disney buys Lucasfilm and has to make another Star Wars, or buys Jim Henson and has to make another Muppets, or every single cheap company that ever bought the Terminator name had to pump out their own cheap sequel.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 7th, 2018, 11:45 pm

For the time being, DreamWorks is still making movies, but I suspect Eric knows this...

Also for the record, there hasn't been a "cheap" Terminator movie since the actually quite low-budget original. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 8th, 2018, 12:15 am

Dacey wrote:Also for the record, there hasn't been a "cheap" Terminator movie since the actually quite low-budget original. :wink:
(I have NO idea what the heck that's supposed to mean, so it's not worth the Genisys joke.) :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Wow...Dace confuses Eric for once... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 9th, 2018, 3:51 pm

My first reaction was basically :shock: , but honestly, even though I guess it still sort of exists within the framework of Universal, I’ve lost interest in DWA since JK left with the acquisition. It’s not DreamWorks anymore and never will be. From what Ben has said, it definitely seems like the powers that be want to maintain some connection to the Shrek of old, but with the very likely lack of a true creative vision and the undeniably tired extension of a 20-year franchise that’s still somehow wheezing along. Regardless of how amazing three out of its four films were, I’m so not tuned into this.

The only thing that concerns me at this point is the welfare of the animators and how they’ll be faring at DWA now that, as Ben has said, DreamWorks’ flagship franchise will no longer be associated with them in any way.
Last edited by ShyViolet on November 9th, 2018, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 9th, 2018, 4:56 pm

ShyViolet wrote:My first reaction was basically :shock: , but honestly, even though I guess it still sort of exists within the framework of Universal, I’ve lost interest in DWA since JK left with the acquisition. It’s not DreamWorks anymore and never will be. From what Ben has said, it definitely seems like the powers that be want to maintain some connection to the Shrek of old, but with the very likely lack of a true creative vision and the undeniably tired extension of a 20-year franchise that’s still somehow wheezing along. Regardless of how amazing three out of its four films were, I’m so not tuned into this.
Assuming Third was the non-"amazing" one? (And yes, that was the one that literally shut down the chemical factory. JK had announced plans to give us "Shrek 6" if not for the supremely unlikable Prince Artie.)

And yes, with Illumination now pulling the strings, this is a reconstituted "What a generation who discovered CGI seventeen years ago sentimentally remembers about the first Shrek", without the various neurotic JK pollutants--
Nostalgia remembers the first movie as a nice, clean, poster-marketable "Ho-ho, lovably misunderstood Mike Myers, wisecracking Eddie Murphy, and sitcom fairytale jokes!", and tends to blur over the misdirected-anger "Toilet-paper" days of '01, when JK wanted to ride the easy 00's wave of Michael Eisner-hate against his old boss by smearing every fairytale (after all, everyone knows, Disney is fairytales and fairytales are Disney), and then tried to kiss up to his built-in female audience in the sequels by pumping up the anti-Princess jokes.

...Proving, like the Dragon movies, that maybe you COULD have made a better Dreamworks movie by tossing the Midget, but it wouldn't really have held up in the sequels.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 9th, 2018, 8:13 pm

EricJ wrote:It's been happening more often, as she's more getting more knee-jerk in trying to find the "Ha!--You're WRONG!" button-point before finishing the sentences, and trying to beat her own personal speed-records.
Oops. Um...who wants to tell her...uh, er...I mean him? :shock:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 9th, 2018, 10:18 pm

*waves magic wand*

There. That was fun.

Eric, please take the chill pill, before you get this "girl" mad. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 15th, 2021, 2:54 pm

In honor of its 20th anniversary, the original is coming out on 4K. Now you can really see how dated the animation is. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 15th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Pretty neat they're including all of the various specials.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 15th, 2021, 3:41 pm

Daniel wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 2:54 pm
Now you can really see how dated the animation is. ;)
Looking at the Robin Hood "Riverdance" moment, I thought the CGI animation was dated even back THEN.
(Not to mention, the gag was outdated back then, too.) :roll: