Shrek reboot

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Shrek reboot

Post by Dacey » April 12th, 2021, 11:39 am

For cat owners, that’s called a Tuesday. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 12th, 2021, 1:11 pm

Lol!! :D

🐱
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 12th, 2021, 2:46 pm

Mee-owch!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 18th, 2021, 6:18 pm

Wow can’t believe it’s been 20 years since Shrek came out! :shock: Feels like yesterday. (So weird to think it was pre-9/11, in a way part of a whole different world if you think about it. Strange how with the sequels it very much became a 21st century staple.)

Also believe it or not I really didn’t like the film the first time I saw it (in theaters with friends). I thought it was silly, vulgar, and the beauty-is-skin-deep message to be overly obvious. Later on, of course, I came to appreciate it much more. A lot of that was because of the sweetness and uniqueness of the main characters. (Still feel this way.). Unfortunately a lot of the humor, including the fairy tale lampooning, (or at least the style in which it was written) is quite dated now. But something about it still endures.

I also no longer believe it deserved Best Animated Film. It was a really fun movie with heartwarming moments, but I wouldn’t say Oscar-worthy, especially compared to the polished and masterfully done Monsters Inc.

(OK, there I said it. :oops: :wink:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 18th, 2021, 6:58 pm

People still argue over which film should’ve won that year?

For me I think I agree with the stand that this site took way back when it was Animated Movies: both films were equally deserving, but Shrek has the edge because it was the “bolder” of the two, making it the rightful winner. The animation also looked absolutely phenomenal at the time (and by the time Shrek 2 came along, they found a way to make it much smoother).

As for Monsters director Pete Docter—he has three Oscars now! I dare say he’s doing okay. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 19th, 2021, 12:47 am

People still take a snarky disgruntled-employee anti-Michael Eisner movie seriously sixteen years after Eisner left in disgrace and it became okay for us to all start liking princesses again?

(As I recall, the third nominee that year was the Jimmy Neutron movie--Look, I know it was '01-'02, but SHEESH!!! :shock: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 19th, 2021, 4:41 am

Who is Michael Eisner?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 19th, 2021, 11:17 am

More like who has an obsession over Michael Eisner...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 19th, 2021, 12:23 pm

How the Shrek soundtrack (All Star, Hallelujah, etc…) made a cultural impact:

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2021/5 ... hallelujah

(The Shrek soundtrack was amazing. Especially “Bad Reputation” and “Stay Home.”)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 19th, 2021, 12:42 pm

What sucks about the physical copy of the Shrek soundtrack is it doesn't have the version of Hallelujah featured in the movie (the one by John Cale, which is actually my favorite), but instead the far inferior Rufus Wainwright cover. Huge letdown for me when I bought it back in the day.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 19th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Ben wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 4:41 am
Who is Michael Eisner?
I forgot, he's somebody who's supposed to look like that Lord Farquaad guy, or whatever.

This was back in the 00's, when Disney princesses were "evil", and we all wanted that Hawaiian-movie guy to run the studio, whatever his name was.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 19th, 2021, 6:43 pm

Point exactly. None of that matters. Does Shrek work twenty years on without knowing about the acrimonious background, as if most casual moviegoers even cared in the first place...?

Yes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 19th, 2021, 10:33 pm

Do people still laugh at a big oversold gag of Shrek using fairytale-book pages as toilet paper? Apparently.

Do they believe the "revolution has begun", and the call has gone forth to tear down Disney Burbank HQ, Jan. 6 style? Nnnnot so much, nowadays.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 20th, 2021, 5:07 am

I refer you to my previous post, above.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 20th, 2021, 4:27 pm

If Mr. kook is done, I also echo what Dacey said above about the soundtrack. Still one of my favorites.