AV Forum Member

Re: Live action Tom and Jerry Movie

Post by gaastra » November 11th, 2020, 9:35 pm

TV promos.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2020, 4:54 am

Hopefully that lower level of animation is JUST for these spots. Now seeing that in clearer quality, it looks pretty awful and the closeups really look bad. Here's hoping the actual movie's animation and rendering is several notches up above this *horrible* looking stuff!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 12th, 2020, 10:58 am

Has to be, this looks more like a video game cutscene!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Fingers crossed!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 17th, 2020, 2:25 pm

The animation seems to alternate between looking really good and looking rather awkward. Sometimes it's very smooth, but they look too "blocky" occasionally. Hopefully some of this stuff will be finalized before the movie actually opens.

Also, it could just be me, but I feel like this works best if Tom and Jerry are the only "cartoons" in the otherwise live-action universe. Those birds and elephants feel unneeded, at least as far as this trailer goes, and the best gag here isn't even a slapstick one, but Jerry handing Chloe his business card! It might sound weird, but the laughs might land harder if the "violence" were more present (as in stuff in the "real world" getting destroyed amid Tom and Jerry's chaos).

But hey, I'd be going for Chloe regardless anyway.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 17th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Trailer is officially up!

A trailer voice, wow! Animation doesn't look half bad. At times looks a little off. Real nice how they approached the rain on Tom. Lots of great little touches, like Tom turning red, Jerry moving the mice hole feel lifted right out of the classic shorts. So far no potty humor!

Jerry's little mouse cave is sweet! The detail and thought. A cell phone hung up to look like a flat screen, even has a mirror hooked up so he doesn't have to turn his head while in the tub! AirPods as speakers, so creative. "Jerry Mouse - a mouse" nice doodle.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2020, 6:19 pm

So...definitely 2D shaded CG...kind of a shame, but quite well done. I agree that T&J should have been the only animated characters though.

And "no potty humor"!? Apart from Jerry photocopying his arse, which I felt was not needed to make me laugh.

Still, much better than that commercial spot up above, though strangely not as good as the Rocky & Bullwinkle featurette that used the same technique but looked better integrated due to better use of shadows,

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 17th, 2020, 7:17 pm

I'll see it, in hope that this does well enough that WB will see fit to release the remaining classic M-G-M T&J cartoons on Blu-ray.

c'mon, WBHV .. or WA; either one of ya .. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2020, 7:50 pm

WA will get to this...perhaps when the film comes out. Absolutely zero chance they’ll not eventually put out a disc that was basically all ready to go, especially given the other "adult content" toons that have come out under George Feltenstein. It’ll come along soon Droo!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 21st, 2020, 2:53 pm

Hopefully a new release of the '92 movie is in the offing. HBO Max supposedly has an HD transfer and in widescreen to boot! Yes, I know it's not very well liked, but as I've mentioned in the past I love it. At the very least it gave us this brilliant song:

Charlotte Rae killed it! Quite so indeed! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm

It was directed by Phil Roman--who of course had done a fantastic job handling Garfield on television at that time--so it's a bit surprising the movie is as...odd as it was (though I will confess I've never watched it in its entirety, something I need to eventually remedy).

It also had one of the most misleadingly awesome trailers ever:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2020, 6:50 pm

I remember that coming out. Such a. Big. Deal. Such a crushing disappointment!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 22nd, 2020, 12:12 am

And whose animator connections to The Simpsons resulted in many in-jokes in the series:
From Homer becoming hip dog Poochie on the Itchy & Scratchy Show (think we know where that came from...) , to the entire town of Springfield going wild over The Itchy & Scratchy Movie, the most fantastic movie ever made. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 22nd, 2020, 11:38 am

Poochie was not a jab at Puggsy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 22nd, 2020, 12:34 pm

Daniel wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 11:38 am
Poochie was not a jab at Puggsy.