Robots

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 15th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Special_Ed wrote:Meh is so/so.

If you guys accept sub par crap as good you'll only get more lower standard crap. I hold high standards. Pixar nearly always reaches them.
Ahem.
AGAIN. YOU think it's sub par crap. But "I" don't. You're acting like your opinion about it being sub par is the RIGHT opinion.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 15th, 2005, 3:48 pm

No, what I like is better than what everyone else likes.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 15th, 2005, 5:04 pm

I like Dinosaur as well. In my opinion, one of the worst things in the world for a movie is when it is being overhyped. Dinosaur suffered vastly from this. In addition, Disney was a victim of its own marketing, as the advertising for Dinosaur was excellent. I think that if the film had been released from some smaller studio and had been discovered playing in a few theaters before heading to video, it would be more appreciated today. Instead, people went to see the film expecting gold but got bronze. It's still better than getting no medal at all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2005, 7:18 pm

I want to see this film!

:D

Ewan McGregor, Robin, Halle, how can you go wrong??

I read it originally had songs but they were cut out....
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 22nd, 2005, 7:27 pm

I don't know if the movie is good or bad but it does look like they are trying to sell it solely on the strength of the big name cast.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » February 22nd, 2005, 8:26 pm

that should tell ya something right there....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2005, 10:04 pm

Hmmmm.....you might be right....
:?
But I'm still interested in seeing Ewan McGregor in an animated film!!!

Halle...meh. She wasn't that great in X2 (I"m not even mentioning that OTHER super-hero film). She didn't look OR act like Storm at all.

It remains to be seen whether Robin's character will be an original or just warmed-over Genie but....I'm hoping for the former!

I liked the "zaniness" of the trailer. :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 22nd, 2005, 10:33 pm

The film may well turn out to be entertaining but they shouldn't market it like, "Hey, everyone! We've got Halle Berry in our film! And Robin Williams! And Obi-Ewan McGregor!" DreamWorks seemed to think that everyone would want to see Sinbad because it had Brad Pitt and Michelle Pfeiffer in it and nobody cared to see it. I actually rented it later and thought it was a decent little film but Brad Pitt and Michelle Pfeiffer being in it didn't make it better . . . or worse.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2005, 10:48 pm

Even though I loved Sinbad, I thought Brad kinda sucked.

Not that I don't like Brad but it seemed like he was picked just for his name, not for how he suited the character. Russell Crowe was originally slated to be Sinbad...I think he would have been tons better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 23rd, 2005, 11:06 am

I hope people aren't going to dismiss the film just because the trailers "hype up" the big names involved. It's just typical of big studios to push these silly marketing techniques that play on our short attention spans as modern-day Americans by giving us quick, slickly edited sound bites and heralding the big-name actors/actresses like the second-coming of Christ.
I, for one, think this is going to be a very good movie not because of what I saw in the trailers (which I actually do like) but because when I read the premise of the story and saw the stills for this sometime ago, I was very intrigued. So, like I said, I hope people won't draw forgone conclusions (particularly of the negative kind :wink:) and actually go see it and then critique it.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » February 23rd, 2005, 4:29 pm

It's alright for marketing people to expect big name stars to sell a movie to the public. It's not good for filmmakers to expect big name stars to make the movie successful. So far I've only seen what the marketing people have done. I'll reserve judgement on the film until I see for myself what the filmmakers have done.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 24th, 2005, 11:45 pm

Sound bites and more overacting from Robin Williams.

Typical.

To tell you the truth, as understated as Disney's Chicken Little campaign has been so far, I've actually like what I've seen there BETTER than Robots so far...

The trailers for Robots have me believing this film is going to be very loud and obnoxious. I'm just not part of the audience that goes for films like that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 25th, 2005, 9:27 am

GeorgeC wrote:Sound bites and more overacting from Robin Williams.

Typical.

To tell you the truth, as understated as Disney's Chicken Little campaign has been so far, I've actually like what I've seen there BETTER than Robots so far...

The trailers for Robots have me believing this film is going to be very loud and obnoxious. I'm just not part of the audience that goes for films like that.
agreed, so far Chicken Little looks fun. Robots looks so busy. I mean, the backgrounds and the main characters are so stuffed with detail and they're so distracting, I just don't know where to watch, it's driving me crazy everytime I see the trailer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 25th, 2005, 9:59 am

Maybe it's the little boy in me, but I love that it's full of details and lots of moving things. That just adds to the world that they're trying to create, that of a completely mechanical world. It's fascinating!
I guess I'm not that easily distracted :P
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 25th, 2005, 3:41 pm

I see what PatrickvD and GeorgeC are saying. Although it doesn't bother me too much, Robots seems very "busy". Imagine a movie with ADD.

By the way, does anyone know specifically what this movie is about? I mean, we know that it's about a clever robot named Rodney Copperbottom who enters a new land. But what is the plot after that?

Anyway, I am looking forward to Robots... but I am still anticipating Chicken Little possibly more than any other film this year, just out of curiosity.