Robots

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 28th, 2005, 8:40 pm

I think Robin Williams will be good but he also needs a good plot to add something to his performance. I don't know if anyone here has seen Ferngully: The Last Rainforest, but it's a pretty dismal film. And Robin was in it, (the bat) but it didn't make it any better.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2005, 1:50 am

Bill Kroyer's film, right?

Keep meaning to get that, but think it's only pan-and-scan on DVD. It's a film that I keep wanting to like more than I do, but as you say...pretty dismal.

Never bothered with the "sequel"... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 1st, 2005, 1:31 pm

Will be seeing Robots next week at a preview screening. Hopefully they will still play the Star Wars trailer.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 1st, 2005, 3:50 pm

Ben wrote:Never bothered with the "sequel"... :(
I saw it at K-Mart the other day for less than five bucks. It may have been around $3, but I can't remember for sure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

SNL

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2005, 7:17 pm

In SNL they had this HILARIOUS thing when they made fun of Inside the Actors Studio's James Lipton, (Will Ferrell) who was supposadly interviewing some very obscure actor and of course sucking up to him (I forgot which one). The actor apparently did a voice in A Troll in Central Park, and Lipton says to the audience: "I don't know if you have seen A Troll in Central Park, but it is like looking into the face of G-d!" :lol:
Keep meaning to get that, but think it's only pan-and-scan on DVD. It's a film that I keep wanting to like more than I do, but as you say...pretty dismal.
I think it's from 20th Century Fox, and Joe Roth (one of the people who produced) has said on record that "We didn't know what we were doing" and that the film is a mess. They were trying to go the Disney route and didn't realize how complicated making an animated feature is.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

OMG! "Ice Age 2" Trailer will play at "Robots

Post by Dacey » March 5th, 2005, 12:57 pm

OMG! "Ice Age 2" Trailer will play at "Robots

I'm soooooooooo excited!!!! :D

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 5th, 2005, 1:01 pm

Oh, boy! Oh, boy! Oh, boy! The movie's just one week away!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2005, 3:57 pm

Hey Wendy!

We can see you're excited, but please try to hold back from starting up new threads!

Please post your Robots/Ice Age 2 trailer comments here - thanks :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 6th, 2005, 1:16 pm

Heh, heh. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I read an article in "The Baltimore Sun" this morning that said that Fox required Chris Wedge to cut some 20 mintutes of the picture. It went on to say that Wedge may release an extended cut of the film when it comes to DVD.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 6th, 2005, 4:44 pm

What Mickey A's entry today said seemed to confirm just what I thought it would be like. I'll still be seeing it on Thursday.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » March 6th, 2005, 4:44 pm

There are 3 reviews up at Rotten Tomatoes and all 3 are positive.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 6th, 2005, 8:40 pm

But look at those reviews! Scores of "4/4" and "5/5"? No offense, but doesn't that seem a little funny to you? Those are greatly contrasting to the two reviews posted at Ain't It Cool News- both of which seemed to agree on the positives and negatives of the film.

Still, Robots is going to be huge. It doesn't have any competition, just like Shark Tale and Ice Age didn't have. Disney desperately needs to take a lesson from Blue Sky and DreamWorks, by realizing that not every major animated film has to open in the midst of a crowded season.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 7th, 2005, 1:51 am

One part I saw in the trailer looked like it was stolen from Treasure Planet. Robots doesn't look so bad as to be unwatchable but it doesn't seem to be too memorable either. I am open to being pleasantly surprised though.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 7th, 2005, 11:54 am

I am looking forward to it as well. I mean, I don't think it will be terrible, but I am highly skeptical of these critics who are hailing it as good as The Incredibles. I guess I am just a little upset at how easy it is to get an audience, employing some tricks but little true magic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 7th, 2005, 3:21 pm

That's why you don't go by critics.
It's a little hard to go by the word of critics and reviewers when they hail every effing movie that comes out "THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR"