Disney Making two 2-D Films? Return of 2-D Animation at disney?

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney Making two 2-D Films? Return of 2-D Animation at disney?

Post by gaastra » April 11th, 2019, 7:20 am

Might be.

https://toonado.com/movies/mary-poppins ... nals-a2375

Nature's End is "a fantasy/science fiction adventure with an ecological ticking clock and starring a female hero who transforms her world without using violence or imitating her male counterparts."

R.E.D. is a humorous detective story inspired by the pulp novels of the 1950s. The series revolves around a machine pondering its value as a "living being."
I just want them to make gigantic. That looked so fun and they canned it. Sigh.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Disney Making two 2-D Films? Return of 2-D Animation at disney?

Post by Dacey » April 11th, 2019, 1:57 pm

There's no reason to assume these will be Disney-distributed. Especially since, from what he's said on his Facebook, Duncan didn't apparently have a great experience with the top brass at the studio while working on Poppins (not talking about Rob Marshall, of course, but people at the executive level).

If these even went to theaters--and sadly in the rise of streaming, they may go straight to Netflix--it would be a studio that "needs" animation more, like Paramount or even Lionsgate.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney Making two 2-D Films? Return of 2-D Animation at disney?

Post by Ben » April 11th, 2019, 8:27 pm

I don’t get anywhere that these have anything to do with Disney...?

Although just as with Netflix, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Disney+ lap up a bunch of lower budget hand-drawn and CG features and slap their Disney+Originals banner on them as the service expands and gets hungry for Disney-quality content.