Sonic the Hedgehog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog

Post by Daniel » August 13th, 2021, 2:24 pm

Knuckles will be voiced by Idris Elba. Awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 9th, 2021, 2:30 pm

Colleen O’Shaughnessey will reprise her role as Tails. Makes sense as she voiced him in the post-credits scene of the original. Thank goodness, but shocked they didn't try to go with a big name.

First poster:

The plane! Sonic 2's Buzzer's! That's one sweet poster.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2021, 4:59 pm

I suffered through the first one last weekend, so this is an easy one to wait three years for it to hit regular TV, if I can be bothered about it. Sonic himself was soooo annoying, Marsden was wasted, and Carrey was a pale version of his old Ventura schtick, going through the motions. And some of the effects were pretty bad; you could almost see the seams between where they had to recompose stuff to get over that earlier, awful character design. Even for these kinds of hybrid Alvin-Smurfy-Sonicy typical fare that passes as family movies thesedays, I found it brainless eye candy that didn’t really have much candy and, when it did, was just as full as empty calories as candy candy. Sorry! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 9th, 2021, 8:49 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 10th, 2021, 2:35 am

Ben wrote:
December 9th, 2021, 4:59 pm
Even for these kinds of hybrid Alvin-Smurfy-Sonicy typical fare that passes as family movies thesedays, I found it brainless eye candy that didn’t really have much candy and, when it did, was just as full as empty calories as candy candy. Sorry! :)
So, now you know what I mean by that joke on the Clifford thread, about Paramount Animation (and hybrid-FX) movies looking like they were frozen in a block of ice since the late 90's/early 00's.

(I mean, even if their mind is still trapped in 1997, and trying to put Jim Carrey in the movie, it's nice to see him with the beard off and back to "real" commercial roles again. I'll take his annoying-Ventura over-delivery, it's sort of nostalgic, in a way. :( )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2021, 5:07 am

Yeah, nostalgic is a word. ;)

The trailer for 2 looks like more of the same, which we knew already. Maybe if they’d bothered to get some name names for the characters then it wouldn’t be so annoying, but I guess all the money went into getting Jim to shave his head. Certainly the effects look a *little* better, but the animation itself is still pretty basic. Better than the first, but a lot of the "look" here, and in the first, is down to the rendering.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 18th, 2021, 3:41 pm

Looks awesome! Has the same feel as the video games in those action sequences. I liked the original, but it was more of a buddy adventure flick that just happened to feature Sonic. This one on the other hand looks like an actual Sonic movie, as they're definitely not holding back on the Sonic-y goodness, lore and references. Loved Knuckles brief appearance and his voice. Sonic sounded more like Dewey though, but Tails was perfect. Everything here works.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 23rd, 2021, 3:54 pm

In Japan the film will be called Sonic vs. Knuckles:

Sounds way cooler I think. Sweet logo too, looks like Knuckles fist in his name!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 12th, 2022, 3:52 pm

Big game spot:

Death Egg Robot and the two fighting in the Master Emerald Chamber!? Aah! That snowboard fight is gonna be epic! Looking better and better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 16th, 2022, 3:35 pm

Sonic 3 is officially a go! Heck yes! It will most likely involve Shadow, but I'm hoping for Metal Sonic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 22nd, 2022, 6:37 pm

Poster:

Beautiful. Only real disappointment is that Sonic isn't giving the thumbs up pose, or the 2 fingers. Easiest nostalgia grab! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 28th, 2022, 2:41 pm

Character posters:

ImageImageImage

Interview with the cast:

Those posters are sweet!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 8th, 2022, 3:59 pm

Although clearly spam, that's how I fell in love with Sonic. Got the Game Gear shortly after it was released (1991!) and the first game I got was "Sonic the Hedgehog". Love at first spin! I was so addicted and would play for hours. Still have the system/games and bring it out once in a blue moon. Yeah, it's bulky and the color and resolution are so dated, but it reminds me of a simpler time. Those games still hold up and I find them more fun than today's games.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 8th, 2022, 5:29 pm

It was the days of the great Sega vs. Nintendo war, fought with corporate icons, and Sonic vs. Mario was no contest.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 23rd, 2022, 3:54 pm

New poster:

Knuckles! Love the throwback to the American/European Sonic 2 video game boxart:

Final trailer:

Love the ringtone!