Lady and the Tramp (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Lady and the Tramp (Live-Action)

Post by ShyViolet » August 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Lol yeah...why exactly did they do that again? :? Was it because there weren’t enough female characters or something?

Jock was a vital character: you can’t just make him female in this case because being male was part of his identity.
Maybe if his role had been much smaller it would have been different...this just makes no sense at all. (Also him now being female completely changes the tone of his interactions with Trusty. :| Not that their exchanges become better or worse, but very different. You can’t just change someone’s gender in a story and expect that there won’t be any alternations in dialogue/behavior.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 11th, 2019, 7:38 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Lol yeah...why exactly did they do that again? :? Was it because there weren’t enough female characters or something?
Jock was a vital character: you can’t just make him female in this case because being male was part of his identity.
It's the same reason Jasmine had to have a new female character to talk to (and exposition new plot points) in the Aladdin remake--
They know their biggest market for the remakes is the HS/college fangirls that crammed Beauty&Beast's opening weekend, and if you're selling a "girl's" movie about Lady, she's going to need a wisecracking/nutty Beta-girl BFF.
That's what Disney's learned from all their years of producing Disney Channel and Freeform series.

Of course, the other part of Jock's identity was his Bill Thompson comic-stereotype Scottish accent and tropes (burying his bones carefully), but I don't think the remake is going to go through the trouble of giving Jockette a Princess-Merida voice. Not that they might not try.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2019, 5:17 am

She seriously not being called Jockette though, right? If so then that’s rubbing salt in the wound and I’m totally out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 12th, 2019, 6:47 am

Ben wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 5:17 am
She seriously not being called Jockette though, right? If so then that’s rubbing salt in the wound and I’m totally out.
No, Ben, she's not called Jockette. :roll:
(beat pause)
...She's "Jackie".

So, wanna join me for a cup of coffee, on the way out?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 12th, 2019, 10:14 am

Ben was only asking a question. Why do you have to be so mean??

:|
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2019, 1:14 pm

S'ok Vi. I can fight or leave my own battles. ;)

In this day of "hip" appealing to the kidz names and references, Jockette is EXACTLY what they might name her, so the question was valid.

Thanks for the offer, Eric, though I don’t drink coffee, or even covfefe. But maybe a hot chocolate, if I don’t accidentally spill it by the time we make the exit...!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 12th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Makes you wonder why they even have the dog wear a "Jock" name tag. Simply for a publicity shot? That makes no sense. Makes me think those reports are just guessing. Unless it happens to be nickname for Jackie? Now THAT would add insult to injury...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 12th, 2019, 7:58 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 10:14 am
Ben was only asking a question. Why do you have to be so mean??
(I've gotten 23,697 :roll:'s, along with the odd :?: and :? , from three posters over my entire posting career on the board; I use one, and I'm "mean".) :|

Oh, and for those who've been wondering why Disney's "Hercules" has been trending on Twitter in the past few hours, knee-jerk panic mode seems to think that one's automatically getting a LAR, but news I heard was that it was only getting a Broadway musical? (Because "Aladdin" was doing so well and also had a past cruise-ship show.)
Unless anyone knows any news links to the contrary--And if it's not getting a remake, I stand by my "Big Four" theory for why Lady's only going to streaming.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 13th, 2019, 6:30 am

Hercules is getting a potential stage show that will apparently be even broader and "funnier" than the original movie. And a live-action film, depending on how Mulan does, which may not be as close to the original movie. If that makes things any clearer...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 19th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Here they are on the cover of D23:

While I still have reservations, I think this could end up being cute. 'Course my tune could change when we get a trailer...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 19th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Right from the start and all through these image teases, I’m just not feeling Tramp at all. He’s kind of too stocky and has that weird flat head! And both dogs look a little too "old" to be playing four/five year olds...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 20th, 2019, 7:51 am

I don't get Tramp from this dog at all.

Not that I care about this dubious, dodgy remake anyhow.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 20th, 2019, 2:55 pm

He looks more blue here from the initial image tease. Not Tramp enough, but closer. I'm giving Disney the benefit of the doubt since they're supposedly rescue dogs. Maybe these are the only two that came remotely close to the leads?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 23rd, 2019, 7:46 pm

Poster:

They finally added "Disney +"! ;)

Joe looks a little young...? Like a teen. Maybe Tony's a father figure this time around?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 23rd, 2019, 8:55 pm

Daniel wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 7:46 pm
Joe looks a little young...? Like a teen. Maybe Tony's a father figure this time around?
They HAVE to be, they're not bad, icky and wrong Italian stereotypes anymore... :roll: