Lady and the Tramp (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Lady and the Tramp (Live-Action)

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Hollywood Reporter says it's a dog...
Probably the dullest to date of the live-action (or quasi-live) remakes of beloved Disney animated films, Charlie Bean's Lady and the Tramp further explores the limitations of having real (or digitally realistic) critters stand in for the talking animals of yesteryear. Serving as the marquee offering of the corporation's new Disney+ streaming service, it doesn't bode well for that realm: Though hardly as disposable as the cheapo sequels Disney churned out during the heyday of VHS and DVD, it is nearly personality-free, suggesting that the studio will save any features with real charm or grandeur for the big screen before offering them to viewers at home.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/revie ... ew-1251190

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 4th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Ben wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 1:39 pm
Hollywood Reporter says it's a dog...
Though hardly as disposable as the cheapo sequels Disney churned out during the heyday of VHS and DVD, it is nearly personality-free, suggesting that the studio will save any features with real charm or grandeur for the big screen before offering them to viewers at home.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/revie ... ew-1251190
Still wonder why the DTV’s of yesteryear keep getting dumped on in articles like this that compare the two, and use DTV’s as the “bottom” level of non-theatrical Disney animated films. I mean at least those films had actual original stories and weren’t shot-for-shot remakes like these present-day imposters. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 4th, 2019, 7:20 pm

I'm not surprised on the review, but still kind of sad. Despite my few complaints was really hoping this would surprise. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 4th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Well, just one review. I'm sure it will be enjoyed by many. The way Disney has pushed it, I doubt that it's all that bad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 5th, 2019, 12:33 pm

True. Here's a grouping of more reviews. A little more positive compared to Reporter, ultimately saying it's charming.

Also had in the back of my mind the whole racebending of Darling and wondering if it would even be possible given the time and place.

Tidbit from one of the reviews linked:
IGN wrote:Another big change is to the Siamese cats Si and Am who are now named Devon and Rex and are voiced by musicians Nate Wonder and Roman GianArthur, respectively. The original film’s problematic “Siamese Cat Song” has been replaced by an entirely new tune performed by this duo.
Changing the type of cats wasn't enough it seems. Daft on so many levels... Sets a new record for Disney, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 8th, 2019, 2:40 pm

New clip featuring Jim Dear and Darling:

They kept the song "Peace on Earth" from the original. I love that. Makes me feel so nostalgic. It's a beautiful song and one of my favorites from Disney. Good move! As for the rest, I liked how the two came off. Fleshing them out a bit. A little moderny but charming nonetheless. :)