Banana Splits five nights Movie Trailer!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Banana Splits five nights Movie Trailer!

Post by gaastra » June 13th, 2019, 5:27 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Banana Splits five nights Movie Trailer!

Post by ohmahaaha » June 13th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Maybe next they'll bring back "Dementia 13" as a Sit-Com.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 13th, 2019, 7:03 pm

One banana, two banana, three banana, gore, we'll rack up lots of bodies and they'll be so many more.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 13th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Funny, Daniel. :)

I can't believe this thing is real, but a Web check shows it is indeed. Wow. I have no sentimentality towards this show, but I hope they leave some of my H-B favourites alone.

And to think that H-B allegedly ended DC Comics' use of their characters for not using them in the classic spirit!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 14th, 2019, 12:08 am

Here's the thing about The Banana Split Show: it was terrible. The theme song was a classic. But the show itself was a nightmare.

And stuff like The Banana Split Show has been a target of pop culture for years. Shows like it have been parodied in everything from Patchy the Pirate on SpongeBob to more direct shots like "Frisbee the Dog" in Scrooged.

Will they ever make a horror movie starring a beloved H-B property like The Flintstones? Of course not. But TBS is ripe for the picking.

I mean, the original series was already kind of a horror movie...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 14th, 2019, 12:38 am

Well, you're not wrong. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2019, 9:15 am

The Banana Splits crossed with a Shining reference? What’s not to like? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 14th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Dacey wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 12:08 am
Here's the thing about The Banana Split Show: it was terrible. The theme song was a classic. But the show itself was a nightmare.
It's horrible, but the painfully-unfunny suit characters were only wraparound segments for Jonny Quest-era ADVENTURE! cartoons (Arabian Knights, Three Musketeers) which were fine on their own. The problem was the horrendous filler they were stuck with.
Back when they were selling their H-B sets retail, Warner had a crisis of conscience wondering whether to try and re-market the Splits to an audience that was demanding boxsets of "The New Adventures of Huck Finn". That's one of the things that drove them to the Archive.
Randall wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 8:33 pm
And to think that H-B allegedly ended DC Comics' use of their characters for not using them in the classic spirit!
But they allowed the "Gay Tennessee-Williams Snagglepuss" and the "Flintstones Animal-Slave revolt" ones?

Fortunately, this is a SyFy gamer-pop takeoff, and not one of Cartoon Network's snotty retro-HB takeoffs--
Warner's done with those for the moment, thank you, now that they have to rally the brand name for all the Warner Archive fans keeping it afloat.
Ben wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 9:15 am
The Banana Splits crossed with a Shining reference? What’s not to like? ;)
It's a Five Nights at Freddy's reference (don't ask me, think it's a game, 'r something :? )--

If it had been Warner, THEN it would be a Shining reference, since that's one of the Core Brandname Movies they've been re-marketing steadily ever since "Ready Player One".
(For those who've seen the recent "Doctor Sleep" trailer.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Hehehee...Eric missed the Shining reference, he he hee... ;)

And...both are Warners...? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 17th, 2019, 8:13 pm

While it's a little upsetting seeing the Splits violated like this, I'm... kind of intrigued. I was never a big fan, and they were pretty freaky to begin with! At least the design of the costumes are actually pretty faithful. With the tone of the movie, they could've made them so much more scary or twisted. (if possible!) The theme song sounds the same (they didn't get creative like me!) and they have them driving around in their banana buggys! Plus, they are only trying to defend their show from getting canceled. End justify the means, no? ;)

Dare I say, this actually looks like the best thing to come out of SyFy in years! It looks dumb and cheesy yet brilliant at the same time. I'll definitely be tuning in!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 18th, 2019, 1:32 am

I think Daniel may have the right attitude here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 18th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Thanks! It's certainly a ballsy way to revitalize a property that's been dead for some time. I give them kudos for that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2019, 6:38 pm

My one objection is that nothing says this isn’t a kids movie. Even the box doesn’t say Unrated on it, or whatever the rating is. I’m concerned that some parent, not looking at the GIANT AXE on the front, remembers the show and wants to share it with their kids...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 13th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Interesting article revealing more details. All things considered, wasn't expecting anything that deep... bumps my interest even more.

I noticed when rewatching the trailer, we never actually see Snorky the Elephant try to kill anyone. We only ever see him in the buggy and holding the main kids hand. Makes me think he might end up being a good guy. Or clever editing and he's the leader! Either direction has potential, though him not being "evil" sounds more promising.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 19th, 2019, 3:14 pm

New clip:

Came out on digital last week and comes out on video next. If it wasn't going to be on the telly, I would probably give it a rental. No air date yet, but October would be perfect! An ingenious treat, perchance? ;)