Soul

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Soul

Post by Daniel » November 8th, 2019, 7:35 pm

That too. I expect a Youtube remix of the scene any time now. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 9th, 2019, 1:11 am

The 'funny cowboy dance' gag is okay; it just doesn't really gel with the tone of the rest of this teaser .. there's so much storytelling in those brief snippets we see of the policeman, the doctor, the tailor, the barber .. wow. :o

This is the first Pixar teaser to bring a tear to my eye, because I had a music teacher throughout high school who looked and spoke almost exactly like Joe Gardner. He was one of those rare teachers who was able to connect to even the most jaded & disaffected students .. but then -- tragically -- died in a car crash, just a year after I'd left for college. :cry: :(

Hard to believe this will be playing just three months after Onward hits theaters. :shock: Not that two Pixar films in one year is ever a bad thing; I just would've thought they'd put a bit more space between 'em.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 9th, 2019, 9:25 am

That's pretty eerie that you had such a similar (and wonderful) teacher, droo. Sounds like a great guy.

I rarely look forward to Pixar films, which tend to turn out so much better than they sound at first. But I am jazzed to see both Onward and Soul. They both have great potential. I expect both to leave me in (happy) tears. It certainly helped that I was so impressed with the previews we saw at D23.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » November 10th, 2019, 4:05 am

But so what, people dancing in a funny way is so general it's not about that, it's the way the specific character does it.

Oh wow a teaser that makes someone cry. I must ask, what was the story-telling in those other characters?

That teacher you had sounds amazing droosan. The great ones are taken so soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 10th, 2019, 7:41 am

Storytelling, in terms of how these characters are not just walking/standing/sitting .. but doing so with purpose; that you can surmise what they are thinking/feeling, even in just those brief moments. Also in terms of their environment: little hints of the personality(ies) who inhabit these rooms, streets and offices (there's a lot of wonderful touches visible on the stockbroker's desk, before he clears it).

The resemblance of Joe to my high school music teacher is uncanny; the glasses, moustache, felt hat, slight pot belly .. everything. My teacher was likewise a brilliant piano player .. though, he tended more toward 'boogie woogie' than light jazz. He even spoke constantly about bringing passion to everything you do, being the best you can be, and doing good things for the benefit of others. Indeed, he was taken too soon. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 12th, 2019, 11:49 am

That’s just so beautiful and touching Droo. :cry: He sounds like he was an amazingly wonderful person and I’m glad you had him in your life.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 19th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Had it not been for the pandemic, today would've been the day. Interesting to think about.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 19th, 2020, 11:52 pm

:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 21st, 2020, 4:25 pm

Honestly, I've forgotten that movies opened every week in a cinema. It's so long since I've seen an ad telling me something opens 'This Week' that I've forgotten movies existed. Cannot wait for cinemas to return BUT I am not eager for the advertising campaign where a movie is advertised in evey ad break 3 weeks before release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 21st, 2020, 4:48 pm

Japanese trailer: (Little spoiler-y if you haven't seen the second trailer.)

Still looks beautiful and some very nice visuals.

Disney+ announcement any day now...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 21st, 2020, 8:39 pm

Nah...not until the end of the year, and after the Mulan experiment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 15th, 2020, 1:52 pm

‘Black Widow’ Eyes New Release Date, ‘Soul’ May Move to Disney Plus
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/blac ... 234769426/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 23rd, 2020, 4:34 pm

As of now, the November release date is sticking. I still don't see it happening.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 23rd, 2020, 8:34 pm

Well, whatever else...Soul won’t be going the D+ route.

Kinda bummed about West Side Story waiting a whole year though, to December 2021: while my gut says this is totally unneeded, I am also super-intrigued to see how and what Spielberg has made of it...!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 8th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Welp, that's that.

An absolute shame. Is Disney doing this because they want it to be eligible for Oscars this year? There's no way this is going to turn in a "profit" for them now.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."