Re: Soul

Post by Daniel » April 22nd, 2021, 2:55 pm

A prequel short is coming to Disney+.

Yay! Sounds great.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 26th, 2021, 2:43 am

Soul won Best Score and Best Animated Feature! Very well deserved.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2024, 3:08 pm

Take two! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 13th, 2024, 12:25 pm

And the box office is, predictably, absolutely dismal. Soul is performing like Playmobil. Disney didn’t even add a new short or any other incentives to lure audiences in (not even like free collectible posters), yet ridiculously, it’s playing at my local theater while the brand new Migration isn’t. I’m sure family moviegoers are thrilled about that here.

https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-office ... 235726596/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 13th, 2024, 12:46 pm

Ouch! But (on the three films getting releases):
Ben wrote:
December 5th, 2023, 8:21 pm
Kind of cool, but also kind of too little too late? Or maybe all too soon? One a month when you can already see them on D+? I mean *great* that they finally get legit cinema releases, but I can’t see any of these adding much more than $20m — if that — to their takes.
So not really a surprise, and out of them all I think Soul was the one that was going to do least well given its reception. Luca might still have more luck, though I perhaps think Turning Red will do the best of the three, though how good "best" is remains to be seen…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 16th, 2024, 6:17 pm

It feels more like contractual obligation, to say that these films played theaters--
They're playing regular release and not Fathom screenings, right?

Unfortunately, streaming aside, this is the reality of re-releases in the physical-disc era, when studios kept claiming "Audiences want shorter home-theater windows!" because studios wanted shorter budget-recap windows, and anyone who wants to see it again can preorder it almost immediately.
Which is the usual bit of cold water thrown on red-staters who naively want Passion of the Christ or Sound of Freedom to get theatrical re-releases every year.

Basically, if you're not a surprise Oscar Best Picture nominee everyone missed, consider cineplex re-releases extinct.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » January 16th, 2024, 11:39 pm

How about all that money Titanic and The Lion King made from rereleases?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 17th, 2024, 3:55 am

Soul, Luca and Turning Red are not Titanic or The Lion King, and we are not in those times anymore.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 19th, 2024, 2:58 pm

Shame about the box office. Haven't really seen much promotion, though. Online yes, but no TV ads that I've seen. And it's not going to help that it is premiering this Sunday on the Wonderful World of Disney. They've waited this long, could've at least waited a few more weeks.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 19th, 2024, 6:00 pm

What!? Seriously!?

Soul is seriously premiering on free-to-air network TV in the same timeframe as the cinema release window? And they’re wondering why it’s not doing any business? It’s not just me, is it, but that's just nuts. Yeah, at least wait until Easter or something and make it special. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 20th, 2024, 2:37 pm

Yep and like I said elsewhere, Disney could've temporarily removed them from streaming like they did for Avatar. Little things that would've made this more special.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 21st, 2024, 2:25 pm

Made a hilariously low $97 per screen this weekend. Just terrible.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2 ... _=bo_hm_rw
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 21st, 2024, 2:40 pm

It would not surprise me if it gets pulled before its end date.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2024, 4:08 pm

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if not all three films make their complete runs. They might at least make them more "limited" and "exclusive" to try and eek out some special engagement type feel, it it has to be said that this experiment is likely to have been a bust, for all the obvious reasons.