Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Daniel » September 10th, 2022, 12:37 pm

Felt more like a cover version of the song.

The lack of any real bubbles still bugs me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 10th, 2022, 6:24 pm

I really like it! :). I didn’t think I would, but the backgrounds/effects do somewhat evoke in me that “magical” feeling. Also like Ariel’s exotic look.

But yeah, like you said Dan, it’s just not Mermaid without the bubbles. Also, she sounds a little old to be 16.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 11th, 2022, 3:31 pm

Comparison:

Bubbles! Wow, the logo is plain and uneven. The ending is so unimaginative, she's just sitting on a rock singing with no real movement.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Evergreen » September 21st, 2022, 11:29 pm

I think it looks "okay"... Not as good as Aladdin or B&tB for me, but I may end up enjoying it, overall--for what it is.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 22nd, 2022, 12:27 am

This already looks miles better than the live action BATB. And this girl can sing!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 22nd, 2022, 1:54 am

If you mean visually then I don't know, I hated the live action BatB, but I thought its sets and production design looked good, that's not something I can say for Aladdin on the other hand, and the costumes in both looked dreadful. We haven't seen much from The Little Mermaid so far.

Halle definitely has talent, and yet I still don't like her rendition of Part of Your World, it feels like another pop version of the song rather than the song being performed as something that is connected to a larger story. Hope that makes sense.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 22nd, 2022, 6:22 am

Yes, yes it does. But then we live in a pop-musical world where "showtunes" are really now not much more than slick pop-produced musical tracks (see the Frozens, Greatest Showman, etc). That’s why Poppins Returns was such a lovely throwback to a bygone era.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 22nd, 2022, 9:43 am

BATB looked pretty dreary to me, which was somewhat intentional, as the director wanted everything looking cheerier at the end once the spell was broken. And there were many questionable choices with character designs among the castle characters that led to them being inexpressive.

Hard the judge TLM yet in terms of visuals, but I like the sea stuff so far. And while the song does sound overly produced and pop-y, at least she can sing. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Evergreen » September 22nd, 2022, 1:26 pm

The sets for most of B&tB were gorgeous. The outfits were more of a mixed bag, but they did have some good ones though. I loved a lot of Aladdin's costumes though, particularly the Prince Ali look and Jasmine's wardrobe.

I agree, Halle can sing, but a lot of the others in the cast can't. I see it as balanced pretty much the same way as the other remakes. Donald Glover and Beyonce's fab vocals in The Lion King versus how terrible Scar's song sounded. Watson and Thompson were autotuned to death, but then Luke Evans, Gad, and Audra McDonald were all very good. Naomi Scott is incredible in Aladdin, Will Smith was good, but Massoud is even worse than Watson. That's how all live-action musicals are these days, they don't focus on casting singers most of the time, only animated musicals actually cast a full cast of singers... Well, they used to anyway. Mirabel's voice actress wasn't too great of a singer to me and I've never thought Mandy Moore was a strong singer. Frozen is the only recent animated musical where all the voices were pretty great across the board--Menzel, Bell, Gad, Fontana, Groff.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 22nd, 2022, 2:00 pm

I loved the B&TB remake and for all of the flack she got actually thought Emma Watson was perfectly cast.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 9th, 2022, 2:14 pm

SNL skit from yesterdays episode: (warning for language)

"I used to ride around on little seahorses for fun.
Oh, what's wrong with that?
Down there those are just poor people" :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 13th, 2022, 1:27 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 13th, 2022, 2:35 pm

Nice. Pays homage to the original. Actually looks like she's underwater.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 13th, 2022, 3:46 pm

Are those...bubbles?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2022, 4:00 pm

Nice, but quite "cheeky". That lighting is slightly "deceptive", right?