Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Ben » July 2nd, 2023, 4:41 am

What, you didn’t like Sausage Party!? ;)

More seriously, and to be fair, I don’t think he’s been given much of a *chance* since Enchanted to do anything remarkable. Everything has pretty much been remakes and redos, or an odd song here or there. I know you’re not a fan of the film (which still puzzles me!) but Tangled is his last great score: beautiful songs and some really good ones in there. I’ll agree that after *that* he’s kind of been treading water — though again through no fault of his own — but do allow him that one good one after Enchanted.

As for lyricists, no-one comes close to Ashman, particularly for Menken's writing. If you also know their outside Disney stuff, which never gets the due credit, they were truly a fantastic team. Rice can be too literal and laconic, often throwing in a lyric that is not as clever as it thinks it is, while Zippel certainly has the comedy chops and often has that Ashman wordplay, but still falls a bit short of that insanely brilliant spike of "acerbic-ness" that Ashman's best words did. Schwartz comes closest in Enchanted, and it’s clear that having another songwriter in the team ups both their games when working together.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 3rd, 2023, 2:57 pm

Poor Unfortunate Souls:

Losing the middle verse really hurts the song. No fun, no mention of her sisters and father, and no real chance to consider the consequences and deadline. What's worse is it feels like it was there but it was sloppily edited out. Still feels too shouty...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 3rd, 2023, 6:56 pm

In that clip, they've removed the talking parts of the scene that are still in the song, so it does come across as sloppily edited.

However, by switching Ariel's pondering of never seeing her father and sisters again to escaping being under Daddy's control, the movie turns Ariel choice of sacrificing her current life for her desires into a teen tantrum to get back at dad.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2023, 4:27 am

The biggest thing missing here isn’t words or verses.

When the smoky tentacle thingies pull Ariel's voice from her throat, the new one just follows the golden glow back to Ursula and her shouty version of sing-acting. But it’s missing the all important shot of Ariel clasping her throat, which in that one moment you see her realise she’s just made the biggest mistake and is now incredibly vulnerable, and yet she’s just given up her voice and so can’t even say she’s changed her mind.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 5th, 2023, 2:53 pm

It's (ahem) RARE that you ever get a slow-clap from me, but yes, that one nailed it: :D
We're seeing a lot of Classic Iconography being replicated in the live-actions, a lot of Marketable Songs being given to current stars, and a lot of hedge-betting backpedaling of 21st-cty. updating just in case the plot was "too old", but either Walt or John Lasseter would be coming back from the grave (yes, John's alive, I was kidding, fact-nerds! :P ) to throttle the new producers that we're supposed to be emotionally involved with the characters and their struggles!

And that's just the 90's movies. Just wait till we get the new "empowered" apology for Snow White, and compare it to Walt convincing his Nine Old Men that 30's audiences would actually care about a cartoon character running through a forest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2023, 8:18 pm

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 7th, 2023, 2:05 pm

Swims to digital on July 25. Home video September 19. A look at some of the exclusives:

Regular:

Best Buy:

Walmart:

Disney Movie Club:

Bonus features:
Sing Along Version

“Hotter Under The Water” – Discover how director Rob Marshall and his team brought the story of The Little Mermaid to life with this documentary in five chapters:

“A Tale Of The Bottomless Blue” – Join Rob Marshall on the set of one of the most ambitious and challenging films he’s ever directed.
“I Know Something’s Starting Right Now” – Join cast members Bailey, McCarthy, and more and learn how they were cast in the film and what it was like to bring director Marshall’s vision to life.
“Down Where It’s Wetter” – Learn about how the underwater world was created with visual effects, imagination and a lot of talented artists.
“Explore That Shore Up Above” – From Prince Eric’s castle to the beach, explore the above-the-sea locations and the elaborate production design behind them.
“Do What The Music Say” – Discover how composer Alan Menken teamed up with Lin- Manuel Miranda to write new songs to accompany the original classics

Song Breakdowns:

“Wild Unchartered Waters” – Prince Eric, played by Jonah Hauer-King, gets his own song, written by Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda. Go behind the song, from the writing to the recording, to the filming on a practical ship.
“Under the Sea” – Get a first-hand look at how professional dancers helped bring director Marshall’s vision to life as they stood in for the various animated sea creatures that sing and dance in this showstopping number.
“Kiss The Girl” – Float along and get a frog’s-eye view of the beautiful set built to film the live-action version of this classic song.
“Poor Unfortunate Souls” – Ursula takes viewers on a journey of making her character’s signature song.

Featurettes:

“The Scuttlebutt On Sidekicks” – Dive in and meet Sebastian, Flounder and Scuttle, who not only have their own song, “The Scuttlebutt,” but also fresh looks as they work hard to make sure Ariel and Eric kiss before Ursula’s deadline.
“Passing The Dinglehopper” – Ariel met Ariel when Bailey worked with Jodi Benson — the voice of Ariel in the original animated movie — who appears in a cameo in the live-action film.
Bloopers
Best Buy's looks the nicest, but all of them are pretty blah.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » July 7th, 2023, 3:32 pm

I never bought any of the remakes and I have no intention of getting this one. I only own Beauty and the Beast on digital and that's because someone gave me a code.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 7th, 2023, 4:53 pm

I never understood how "sing Along version' remained a selling point when DVDs came along with closed captioning options. I know it means there is a bouncing ball or the words get highlighted as they are sang but still if you want to sing along to a musical just turn on the captions.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 7th, 2023, 9:19 pm

I've gotten Steelbooks for the other remakes, and I'm happy to do so here. I quite like the front and back.

No, I haven't seen the film yet, but I can't stop being a completist now!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 7th, 2023, 9:30 pm

A recurring thing with steelbooks lately that I’m not a fan of is no title treatments on the front or backs themselves, so that they can make a bunch and sell them all over (the spine titles are paper inserts, easily changed for foreign editions).

That Walmart cover is truly hideous, innit. ;)

None of them really do the designs any kind of justice, and even the steel has those random horns (yeah, I know they’re, er, *supposed* to be tentacles, I guess) poking out from the sea.

Pretty awful. I’ll wait and see if Insiders eventually offer up a version. No hurry here. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 8th, 2023, 2:21 am

Okay, Crabbypants. ;) Well, I quite like the "virgin cover" look, without title. And I think the tentacles poking up out of the water is a neat visual. The front cover is quite nice, too!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 8th, 2023, 3:32 am

Okay, Easily-Pleased ;) ;) The steelbook front ("quite nice" ;) ) *is* clearly the best image all around. But it’d be nice if they actually used the obviously left clear for a title space…for the title!

I can’t believe how unbelievably bad the others are. I mean, what’s with Elvis-Ursula on the regular Blu sleeve? And she’s looking off into a random middle distance when, if they flipped it, she would at least be looking towards the object of her intentions…

I dunno…it feels like Disney, after the big fanfare, suddenly gave up on this after its opening.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 8th, 2023, 1:28 pm

Bill1978 wrote:
July 7th, 2023, 4:53 pm
I never understood how "sing Along version' remained a selling point when DVDs came along with closed captioning options. I know it means there is a bouncing ball or the words get highlighted as they are sang but still if you want to sing along to a musical just turn on the captions.
It dates back to when they needed a separate VHS for that, and could sell THAT at Target-Mart.

Normally, most of the classic movies already have a "Sing-along" subtitle option, but again, it comes down to parents and little girls who fixate on the songs, and want merchandise completion.
It's not like Frozen, where they first used it as a last-minute dodge not to release the Blu3D version in the US.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » July 8th, 2023, 4:00 pm

The Sing Along version of Frozen also came with a bonus feature not available on the Blu-ray.