Disney's Cruella (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by Daniel » September 12th, 2019, 2:26 pm

First look at Emma Thompson's character: (you may remember her from another live action remake as the voice of Mrs. Potts!)

ImageImage

Not what I was picturing at all. Not bad in a "over the top" kind of way. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 20th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Emily Beecham joins the cast. Doesn't say what role, but I'm going to guess Anita Dahling. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 25th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Kirby Howell-Baptiste has also joined. Since there's no real male character to gender bend, I'm guessing she will be a newly created gal pal for Anita. (or vice versa if she's Anita) She looks a little young to be Nanny and well, I don't see Disney going down that road...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 25th, 2019, 9:35 pm

No offense to Thompson, but as Cruella, that’s just terrible. She doesn’t look the least bit scary in either picture:

First one: not “villainous” at all, just desperate and unbalanced.

Second one: Like an over-the-hill Norma Desmond type who’s had way too many facelifts and is about to shout: “I’m ready for my close-up, Mr. Deville!”

Ugh. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 26th, 2019, 12:37 am

Good points but... Thompson is not Cruella, that would be Emma Stone. Got your Emma's mixed up. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2019, 4:57 am

Cru's Mom...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 26th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Good guess, but pretty sure she's not. From my opening post:
One day, a posh woman known as the Baroness enters the store, wearing Cruella’s special locket that was given to her by her mother — one that Cruella lost on the same night her mother passed away at the Baroness’ estate. She promptly decides she’ll do whatever it takes to get her locket back from the Baroness, including crashing her glitzy ball.
And before Thompson was confirmed, there was this description:
We have learned that the house of mouse is interested in Nicole Kidman for the role of the “Baroness,” who is described as an antagonist to Cruella and is pivotal to her rise as the classic Disney villain. We can also share that Emma Thompson, Charlize Theron, Juliane Moore, and Demi Moore, are also on Disney’s radar for the role.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Ah, yes. Didn’t see that, or remember it. Tied to her Mom, though, who obviously has something to do with her passing...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 26th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Oh, ok, gotcha. Lol. ;) :oops:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 17th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Emma Stone interview. No inspiration from Once? Aww...

New pic on set:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 6th, 2019, 12:55 pm

New on set photos of Stone:

ImageImage

Now blonde! Guess Cruella will be donning different hairstyles throughout. Cute Chihuahua! Looks like it's wearing a mask of some sort, Sherlock Bark? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 3rd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Mark Strong possibly joining the cast. If that is indeed his role, that would be a change!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 23rd, 2020, 2:20 pm

Little info from Emily Beecham:
Bustle wrote:Beecham’s role in the film is currently unknown - she’s pretty much sworn to secrecy on the whole thing - but says filming was a dream come true.

“It looks very beautiful,” she says. “The costumes are amazing, very Vivienne Westwood inspired, that London look. And the whole screen quality is quite dark and down. Craig Gillespie directed it who directed I, Tonya and Lars and the Real Girl, so I think he's brought quite an edginess to it.

“There's a real naturalness to the acting and he wanted us to improvise and make up new stuff. There's lots of kids, lots of animals and he's brilliant with the children. I think it will be very humorous.”

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 22nd, 2020, 4:16 pm

Latest description:
Inside the Magic wrote: Before she becomes Cruella de Vil?

Teenaged Estella has a dream. She wishes to become a fashion designer, having been gifted with talent, innovation, and ambition all in equal measures. But life seems intent on making sure her dreams never come true. Having wound up penniless and orphaned in London at twelve, four years later Estella runs wild through the city streets with her best friends and partners-in-(petty)-crime, Horace and Jasper, two amateur thieves. When a chance encounter vaults Estella into the world of the young rich and famous, however, she begins to question the existence she’s built for herself in London and wonders whether she might, indeed, be destined for more after all. When an up-and-coming rockstar commissions Estella to design him a signature piece, she begins to feel as though she has truly arrived. But what is the cost of keeping up with the fast crowd– and is it a price Estella is willing to pay?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 22nd, 2020, 9:07 pm

Well that sounds like it needed to be made... :?

I guess the clock is ticking down to when it gets announced for D+...