Disney's Cruella (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by Ben » February 16th, 2021, 7:35 pm

Totally getting the Madoona vibe, circa Dick Tracy. Hmm, I can’t say I’m dotty about this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 17th, 2021, 8:13 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 17th, 2021, 9:04 am

Yay! My Emma hasn’t let us down! Quite hyped for this now! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 17th, 2021, 11:54 am

Connie Francis "Who's Sorry Now?". Brilliant song choice. Looks surprisingly good. Emma nailed the laugh! Definitely more intrigued now. Hopefully maintains that tone in the actual film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 21st, 2021, 4:05 pm

First day trailer results:
Deadline wrote:In its first 24 hours after dropping on Feb. 17, the trailer for Disney’s edgy live-action feature Cruella about the famed 101 Dalmatians villainess drew a very notable 71M views per sources.

That’s a very exceptional number for a trailer dropping during the pandemic, even beating the 24 hour trailer viewership figures of pre-Covid theatrical releases Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (61.7M) and Will Smith-Guy Ritchie hit Aladdin (60.8M).

True, Cruella‘s traffic is a far cry from Disney’s Lion King trailer which posted an awesome first day record of 224M global views after dropping on Thanksgiving Day 2018. Mulan‘s first teaser trailer was released in early July 2019 and also grabbed 175M first day views, but again, it was a different time for movies before Coronavirus.

That said, in the Covid 24-hour insane social media breaking news world, the volume of social conversation was enormous for Cruella at 265K mentions surpassing both Aladdin (228K) and Beauty and The Beast (154K) which benefitted respectively from the social footprints of Smith and Emma Watson.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2021, 4:24 pm

Plus, they don’t mention/take into account that the title is not a brand name, like Lion King, Aladdin or Mulan. Many people will know One Hundred And One Dalmatians, but probably not the name Cruella off hand, so it's almost essentially a new brand, albeit one with some legacy connections. Pretty respectable, also considering that it just kind of dropped without any build up, a la Aladdin and Lion Kong. They should have a new trailers section on D+!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 15th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Second trailer:

Felt like it had more Disney levity and humor compared to the first trailer. Still looks rather promising. Another good song choice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 18th, 2021, 6:44 pm

Rated PG-13 for some violence and thematic elements.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2021, 5:51 am

Levity!?

This looks almost like a Blumhouse movie! As with Quasimodo and the tomatoes in Hunchback that gives you the blood without giving you the blood, the red paint here is clearly *not* really red paint!

I love it!

Totally deranged, I hope the movie has the guts (haha) to really push that angle, and the PG-13 rating sounds like they may have done it. This could be bonkersly brilliant!

My only caveat is the same old downtrodden girl goes nuts story framing, and I hope they have it that Cruella gets cut off from the family and has to make it on her own, since she comes from aristocracy in the book.

Actually...that could be quite cool, if this springs into follow-ups: she will hopefully end up at Hell Hall at the end of this, and then they could do a more faithful to the book version of The Hundred And One Dalmatians, and the never yet filmed second book The Starlight Barking... Yep, lots of material to mine here, without really treading on the paws of the originals.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 19th, 2021, 3:39 pm

The rating sounds spot on. Hopefully I'm not barking up the wrong tree when I say that. I'm howling with excitement for this now. Emma looks great in the role (if not a little Stoned). I'd say more, but my voice is already feeling a little Horace.

I'll...show myself the door.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2021, 4:03 pm

Jasper minute! You mean I’m not the only one wagging for this?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 21st, 2021, 4:00 pm

Doggone it, I've been mutts about the film since it was announced. Really hoping it will be as pawesome as the trailers indicate. Ok, enough doggy puns! :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2021, 7:08 pm

I might wait to see this on disc, so that I can take a break when I need to. I can always use the paws button...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 21st, 2021, 10:27 pm

Roger that, but I prefer to Pongo to the theater when I can.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2021, 5:35 am

I think Anita take a break from this thread. It’s going to the...no, no I just can’t say it.