France sets rule?: Movies must be three years old to go on streaming sites!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

France sets rule?: Movies must be three years old to go on streaming sites!

Post by gaastra » September 1st, 2019, 10:47 pm

From whats on Disney plus. Looks like France set up a new law! To protect video stores and movie chains no movie will be on any streaming site for three years! This includes Netflix and Disney plus! TV shows and tv/ dtv movies don't count!

Man if they did that here dvds may not be dying in America and we still may have more video stores!

What do you guys think of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmblSBSPFoU

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: France sets rule?: Movies must be three years old to go on streaming sites!

Post by EricJ » September 1st, 2019, 11:09 pm

To protect video stores and movie chains no movie will be on any streaming site for three years!
Well, that's pretty much what we HAD for years, starting out, except for the Disney hits that would show up on Starz' half of Netflix.
Now we have Disney (and SW and Marvel) hits that show up on Disney's half of Netflix and HuluPlus.
Man if they did that here dvds may not be dying in America and we still may have more video stores!
No, we'd still have kids trying to dig up mangled, twisted bootlegs on YouTube, because they think the Internet MUST have the free answer to everything.
The only reason we have people believing in Streaming is because the audience and studios got confused about what that "Digital" thing was that Warner and Wal-Mart were trying to sell, and didn't even notice when that went out of business.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 2nd, 2019, 12:50 am

:?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 2nd, 2019, 9:39 am

The video says it's to protect movie theaters chains also as sales are down and movies are coming out 2 months after release! Heck you can preorder the dvd BEFORE the films movie release! Yet a study just confirmed that the most people going to the movie right now are---streamers who buy digital copies! Turns out teens and streamers are the ones going to the movies the most! What's killing the movies is a family of four in the big city would have to pay over $100 to go see one movie!
As for streaming vs dvd I do both myself. Most blu-rays come with digital copies and vudu has the $2 disk to digital program. But I do remember as a kid you had to wait 6 months before a movie came out on video to protect movie theaters sales. That lead to Christmas movies coming out in summer!

Netflix is like a digital hbo to me. How long did it take hbo to get a movie back then? Anyone know?

Campea talks about the streaming vs movies here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DItLIRoRCsQ

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 2nd, 2019, 5:20 pm

Haven’t looked at any of this yet, but now Disney's terming Lady And The Tramp as a teleplay instead of a screenplay (as in television instead of a movie) makes much more sense.

Ergo, L&TT will be okay to appear on D+ immediately, since it’s a TV movie. Not great for those involved to further have their "big screen" movies downgraded, and not great for audiences being sold "big screen"-level movies direct to their homes, but if it gets them up quicker and making that return on investment then so be it I guess...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 2nd, 2019, 7:53 pm

gaastra wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 9:39 am
As for streaming vs dvd I do both myself. Most blu-rays come with digital copies and vudu has the $2 disk to digital program.
See, THIS is what I was talking about. (Pay attention, Dacey, and you won't have to wryly twist your mouth slantways like a Studio Ghibli villain):
Streaming is not the title-by-title Ultraviolet "Digital Code" you get with your disk. That was Digital VOD, and after seven long years of wishful studio denial, it became a colossal flopola, big time. Streaming was Netflix/Amazon/Hulu subscription viewing--where you pay once and watch free movies all month long--that the public used as a substitute for cable TV channel-clicking, and that turned out to be what the public did want.
Problem is, nobody knew which one was which. We'd have noticed Digital VOD was tanking a lot earlier, if studios knew which one was which, and stopped trying to promote that "Digital is popular...Just look at Netflix! Pre-order the newest hit movies on Streaming!"

In fact, to this day, studios don't know, still proclaim the "Digital revolution is coming!", and try to start their own streaming networks. Apparently, even they've forgotten about that little neat idea they had earlier.
But I do remember as a kid you had to wait 6 months before a movie came out on video to protect movie theaters sales. That lead to Christmas movies coming out in summer! Netflix is like a digital hbo to me. How long did it take hbo to get a movie back then? Anyone know?
HBO took about three to four months after the movies officially left theaters, just before the disk release. Netflix in its early '10-'13 days almost never got them for a year, unless StarzPlay (which used to provide half their streaming catalog before they left, causing the great "Netflix-pocalypse" of '13 that scared all the new enthusiasts) was airing one of their Disney-exclusive hits right away.

Sometimes Epix would make a big deal of getting an exclusive Paramount action hit like the current Transformers, Ninja Turtles or Mission:Impossible, and that would mean everyone would get a crack at the coding and it would immediately show up on Amazon and Netflix. But apart from exclusive deals, like Netflix later had with DreamWorks and Disney, you basically had to go to VOD or Redbox to get last summer's B-list hit you missed in theaters.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 3rd, 2019, 12:39 am

*discs.

And I'll wryly twist my mouth and my villain mustache as much as I like, thank you. :wink: :?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 3rd, 2019, 4:10 am

:D