DreamWorks Abominable

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DreamWorks Abominable

Post by Daniel » September 5th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Shame this has been overlooked here! Opens up September 27th.

Trailer if you haven't seen it:

I've been looking forward to it. Looks cute! Some real impressive visuals. The animation looks beautiful and the yeti is adorable!

Smallfoot comes to mind. While that had a good story, I could never warm up to the characters design... and yes, a few similarities with How To Train Your Dragon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: DreamWorks Abominable

Post by Ben » September 5th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Wow...opens soon! That kind of crept up on us, seeing as there was a lot of talk about it when first announced.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 14th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Interview with the stars and writer-director.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Abominable comes out on video next week, the 17th. Thought it was cute.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 11th, 2019, 11:29 pm

My wife saw it at a surprise free screening when a new theatre opened here recently. She was amazed how much she enjoyed it. I might have to pick up the 3D disc.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jpcase » April 11th, 2020, 12:35 am

Haven't been active here in quite awhile, but I still stop in from time to time and enjoy reading what others have posted...I'm kinda shocked that a major DreamWorks release could come and go with barely any discussion about it on the forums here. I streamed Abominable a few weeks ago and was looking forward to seeing what AV's regulars had to say about it...

I guess I don't really have much to add - especially since the film came out so long ago. I'm sure it's not exactly top of mind for most people at the moment. Still, I'm a little sad that Abominable didn't get more attention. It's certainly not one of DreamWorks' best, but it's a pretty fun film.
Last edited by Jpcase on April 11th, 2020, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 11th, 2020, 4:31 am

Hey JP! :). It’s great to see you again!

On Abominable, DreamWorks hasn’t really been “DreamWorks” to me since Universal acquired them. I don’t keep track of them anymore. Everything they make under Universal just looks way too loud, silly and child-like. :? (And yes, I’ll confess that even with a few exceptions like Panda and Dragon, this was a problem for me even when they were still an independent studio. Especially during their last five years before being sold. When Home and Penguins came out that was basically the end for me. :()

Oh but just want to add that I’m not dumping on Abominable or anything, especially since I haven’t even seen it! :) I’m glad you enjoyed it, I’m sure it has positive qualities. Honestly I should probably do some research on it before discussing it further.

EDIT: Well, just watched the trailer above. It looks really sweet! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 11th, 2020, 4:43 am

ShyViolet wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 4:31 am
On Abominable, DreamWorks hasn’t really been “DreamWorks” to me since Universal acquired them. I don’t keep track of them anymore. Everything they make under Universal just looks way too loud, silly and child-like. :? (And yes, I’ll confess that even with a few exceptions like Panda and Dragon, this was a problem for me even when they were still an independent studio. Especially during their last five years before being sold. When Home and Penguins came out that was basically the end for me. :()
They haven't been quite as...nasty without Jeffrey Katzenberg.
With the old DreamWorks, there was a bullied, vindictive bile to the humor; heroes weren't impossible-dreamers like the Pixar characters, they were bullied losers whose big dream was not be bullied anymore. (Any guesses where that might have come from?) Even a relatively lighter movie like "Monsters vs. Aliens", where the protagonist was likable, went out of its way to make the other anonymous non-hero supporting characters into repellent jerks just waiting to have their comic comeuppance delivered for the satisfaction of the protagonists.

Without Jeff's, er, issues, or his Shrek World-Domination dream, the DreamWorks of "Abominable" and "Trolls: WT" is just low-rent Illumination, throwing a few more hats into a ring formerly already occupied by Paramount, Fox and Warner, and all that's left of the "old" DreamWorks is a fetish for "Old stale/overexposed 80's-90's song gags". (Which was practically the entire plot concept of Trolls:WT.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 11th, 2020, 11:20 am

I still haven't seen Abominable, though I did end up picking up the 3D Blu-ray based on my wife's love of the movie. Guess we should look at it with the kids sometime.

I did just watch Boss Baby on Netflix, and liked it more than I expected, though I still found the concept a little too bizarre; but there are truly beautiful "fantasy" sequences in it. It's not, however, a film I feel I need to own on disc.

I used to automatically purchase every DWA Blu-ray, but that stopped a while ago, and that would be the case even if I couldn't check the films out on Netflix. DWA movies have been skewing to a younger audience, and there's nothing wrong with that. They just aren't films for me. The last film of theirs that I really liked was maybe The Croods or Penguins. Geez, that's actually a few years ago already! I didn't even care for the last two Dragon films, sadly. I hear people trying to convince me to give Trolls a try, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it. Captain Underpants is another one that holds no interest for me. But as I said, that's okay. Not every film needs to appeal to a middle-aged guy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 13th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Trolls really surprised me. I was pretty apprehensive, as the designs didn't much for me and was never "into" trolls, but it really is a sweet little film. I'm hoping the same for the sequel.

Nice to see you around, Jpcase.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jpcase » April 15th, 2020, 11:38 pm

Of all the DreamWorks releases from the past decade or so, only the first Dragon film and Rise of the Guardians stand out to me as exceptional - although Captain Underpants is far better than I ever would have predicted, and there are a handful of films by the studio that I still need to catch up on (including Trolls). At the end of the day, a movie doesn't have to be great, or even especially good, for me to have fun with it. So anything that DreamWorks releases, I'm still interested in seeing - eventually.

I went into Abominable without much in the way of expectations, which is probably the best way to approach anything by modern DreamWorks. Abominable's narrative is pretty slight, and - as lots of reviews have noted - some elements feel inspired by superior animated films (most people seem to be drawing comparisons with the Dragon trilogy, but if you ask me, Abominable most clearly borrows from
Up, particularly in the case of Burnish, who comes across like a knock-off Charles Muntz. Or at least...at first he does. I'll give Abominable some credit for taking the character in a different direction than I was expecting. And yeah, the whole "villain isn't who you thought it would be" trope has been heavily played out by animated films in recent years, so Abominable still doesn't get that many points for originality. But I was glad to see Abominable differentiate Burnish from Muntz (actually, when it comes to copying from Up, I'd say that the first Paddington movie is a worse offender).
As for the surface-level similarities to Smallfoot and Missing Link, well, they really are just surface-level. It's fun seeing three films take such different approaches to a shared topic; it's just a shame that the release dates for these films were all in such close proximity to each other, as I imagine that Smallfoot, first out the gate (and easily the weakest of the bunch), may have distracted from the other two.

Abominable is fairly middle of the road, but it's charming enough that I was willing to turn off my critical eye and just along with the film's sense of adventure. It'll be interesting to see what Pearl Studio does going forward. I haven't followed the in-and-outs of the studio's history very closely, but I guess it's no longer affiliated with DreamWorks, is that right? Looks like Glen Keane is directing their next feature (Over the Moon), so that seems promising.

@ShyViolet, @Daniel - Thanks, and hi to the both of you! I wasn't sure if anyone would even remember who I was, haha; it's been so long, and I was never very involved here. But it's fun to stop in again.
Last edited by Jpcase on April 16th, 2020, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2020, 4:46 am

Oh, we remember you JP. :)

I’ve yet to see any of these films yeti, but I really need to get around to Missing Link, and despite the slight story I think Abominable *looks* beautiful.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by kislein » June 28th, 2020, 10:54 am

Ben wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 4:46 am
Oh, we remember you JP. :)

I’ve yet to see any of these films yeti, but I really need to get around to Missing Link, and despite the slight story I think Abominable *looks* beautiful.
I agree with you.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wendy143 » November 7th, 2020, 7:59 am

Daniel wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Trolls really surprised me. I was pretty apprehensive, as the designs didn't much for me and was never "into" trolls, but it really is a sweet little film. I'm hoping the same for the sequel.

Nice to see you around, Jpcase.
hahaha. i am agree with this statement.