Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Live-Action)

Post by Daniel » May 20th, 2022, 4:28 pm

Well, if it's an Apple phone... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 20th, 2022, 7:28 pm

I set ‘em up, and you bat ‘em away! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 10th, 2022, 1:24 pm

A look at logo:

Yep, they shortened the title. Guess that's fine, doesn't really make much of a difference. Definitely needs more space between the words, otherwise they might as well share a W! I like the marble texture.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2022, 8:12 pm

Well we can’t have any mention of, uh, "little people" in the title, can we? Or the suggestion that Seven Little Men Help A Girl. ;) Snowy here is empowered and doesn’t need that help, so she doesn’t need to share a title either… :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 13th, 2022, 5:45 pm

I know both the media and the makers of the film have said that Walt’s Snowy is too “passive” to make a real impression as a character, but I really don’t think that’s so. She has her OWN dreams and yeah, maybe one of those involves meeting a prince, but so what? She’s even brave enough to face the terrifying dark forest in the storm. Later on, she truly cares for the dwarves, not simply helping them with chores, but showing them genuine kindness (bringing Dopey out of his shell, for one). And then the dwarves repay her sensitivity by guarding her from the evil witch during her living death from the poison apple.

If you think about it, the prince is BARELY in the film. True, he’s on Snowy’s mind a lot, but lots of other things happen to her that don’t even directly have to do with her final rescue by him. Also, she DOESN’T just fall into the prince’s arms, she actually first meets him at the start of the film, but can’t handle, at that moment, being face to face with her “dream.” Even if the song does go: “I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream.” She’s far more three-dimensional than so many have given her credit for. :?

Also, I think it’s very disrespectful to Walt Disney’s memory to say that the film he and his animators basically killed themselves to make is inherently flawed and needs “fixing.” :roll: When Walt made SW, NOTHING like it had EVER come before. Stretching the cartoon short into an actual two-hour narrative was seen as a surefire failure by so many in Hollywood. Walt risked everything to bring us the first feature-length animated movie; that’s WHY it’s called “the one that started it all.”
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 13th, 2022, 5:58 pm

The song you're referencing, "Once Upon a Dream", is actually from Sleeping Beauty. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 13th, 2022, 6:04 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
September 13th, 2022, 5:45 pm
I know both the media and the makers of the film have said that Walt’s Snowy is too “passive” to make a real impression as a character, but I really don’t think that’s so. She has her OWN dreams and yeah, maybe one of those involves meeting a prince, but so what? She’s even brave enough to face the terrifying dark forest in the storm. Later on, she truly cares for the dwarves, not simply helping them with chores, but showing them genuine kindness (bringing Dopey out of his shell, for one). And then the dwarves repay her sensitivity by guarding her from the evil witch during her living death from the poison apple.
"But she's DOMESTIC!...She CLEANS HOUSE for her male oppressors!"
Yes, the ones she takes one look at the messy state and small furniture, and thinks are "poor orphan children" she's doing a good deed for, as repayment for staying one night on the run.

And yes, she can "Sit around and sing about waiting for a prince" if, as has been pointed out, it's the one she met at the beginning of the story...
That leaves only the terrible problem of Snow being a thoroughly unsuitable role model for young girls, poisoning their minds to be...NICE, and optimistic, and see the good in people, just leading them into future victimhood and toxic relationships! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 13th, 2022, 6:11 pm

Daniel wrote:
September 13th, 2022, 5:58 pm
The song you're referencing, "Once Upon a Dream", is actually from Sleeping Beauty. :)
Whoops!! :oops: It’s been a while since I’ve seen both SB and SW. Ugh, can’t believe I did that. ;)

Snowy has “I’m Wishing” and “Someday my prince will come.” :oops:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 13th, 2022, 7:51 pm

She’s not "just" a domestic! She takes charge, cleans up the Dwarfs' cottage and gets them to grow up a bit. She’s left all hopes and dreams of being with any prince by that point and takes on these funny little fellas that she’s soon ordering about and engaging with n a totally reciprocal relationship with. She’s not "frail" at all!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 14th, 2022, 1:41 pm

Not knowing that is more embarrassing than mixing up a song.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 14th, 2022, 11:14 pm

Thanks Dan. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 15th, 2022, 1:33 am

I don't know if this interview was posted:

Interviewer: You've told me before that your version of Snow White is different and it's more of a 2022 version of Snow White. What did you mean by that?

Rachel: I mean, you know, the original cartoon came out in 1937 and very evidently so, there is a big focus on her love story with a guy who literally stalks her... weird... weird. So we didn't do this this time.

Interviewer: So no prince or a different kind of prince?

Rachel: We have a different approach to what I'm sure a lot of people assume is a love story just because we cast a guy in the movie, Andrew Burnap, great dude. It's one of those things I think everyone's gonna have their assumptions about what it's actually going to be, but it's really not about the love story at all, which is really really wonderful, and whether or not she finds love along the way is anybody's guess until 2024, all of Andrew's scenes could get, who knows? It's Hollywood, baby. But it's an inner journey that she goes on to find her true self and she meets a lot of people along the way that make the journey really incredible.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 15th, 2022, 1:35 am

He doesn’t stalk her.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 15th, 2022, 1:41 am

The Evil Queen is more of a stalker

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 15th, 2022, 2:06 am

In fairness to her, she’s young and sounds unprepared for the question.

But we also had two “feminist friendly” Snow White movies in 2012 alone, so I doubt this will break any new ground.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."