Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Live-Action)

Post by Daniel » October 3rd, 2019, 2:27 pm

This has been known about for some time.. and now production is set to begin next spring. :!: Casting process has already begun...

Ah, my favorite Walt-era film. The one that started it all. Yep, nothing is sacred! Oh well. These always have my interest anyway for better or worse.

Interesting that production will be in Vancouver Canada. That's where Once Upon a Time filmed! And of course they had their own Snowy cast. Ginnifer Goodwin was perfect as Snow White, and Lana Parrilla as the queen was brilliant. Will be interesting to see who gets considered and ends up landing the roles. Lucy Hale would be perfect for Snow White! Too bad she's currently on that upcoming Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Live-Action)

Post by ShyViolet » October 3rd, 2019, 5:57 pm

O....K.

:shock:

Yes, the film that young Walt Disney risked everything for (including his studio) because he TRULY BELIEVED that animated shorts could be enhanced and have their own majesty and deep human emotion, is now being remade probably shot-for-shot in live action. (And this isn’t like a TRUE re-imagining the way the scary HBO version with Sigourney Weaver was.).

It was called “Disney’s Folly” at the time. But it ended up being more than a tremendous success—the end result was the creation of the Disney animated feature film. The creation of which I can say with no hesitation, changed and continues to change the entire world.

Remember the fake April Fool’s AV story about a new animated Snow White DTV? (“I think we’ll call you...Jumpy.”) I’d watch that in a second over this. (Seriously, I’d always thought the concept sounded really cute! And quite original compared to something like the evil Queen coming back to life, or maybe revealing that she had an even more evil twin or something. :roll:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 3rd, 2019, 6:48 pm

How could I forget? It was literally something I would've come up with! ;) Here's the original story... back when the site was just "News", "Views" had not been made public yet. Snow White And The Eighth Dwarf, just brilliant! Didn't fool me, but it was really convincing.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2019, 8:02 pm

I am, and continue to be, immensely proud of that hoax story. The "poster" almost makes it real!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 3rd, 2019, 8:48 pm

Ben wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 8:02 pm
I am, and continue to be, immensely proud of that hoax story. The "poster" almost makes it real!
Except for those of us who'd already gotten that pin free with the first DVD release, and spotted the "poster" right away. :mrgreen:

And, of course, didn't we already get, what, THREE non-Disney live-action Snow Whites, back when the Six Blind Hollywood Executives were examining the "Tim Burton's Alice" elephant, and said, "It must be a dark fangirl-fairytale with a feminist spin!"?
(Y'know, the ones that wanted to cut right away to the apple and the glass coffin, but, er...not so much about the 'Sweeping and cleaning house" thing?)

But then, Disney's bringing another "Maleficent" movie back again for the same reason, so...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 3rd, 2019, 9:35 pm

You should be, Ben. Just re-read it and I can totally see how so many were fooled: it’s so imaginative and the details/tone of the “inside story/news scoop” template are pitch-perfect! :)

(I also once wrote fake news stories for an April Fool’s edition of a college newspaper, and it’s not anywhere NEAR as “easy” as it might seem. :?)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 4th, 2019, 5:04 am

Actually, Eric, that was never a poster. My image came from at least four separate elements, plus grading and effects.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 4th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Yep, you tried explaining that in the past starting here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 4th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Oh yeah! Déjà vu! But you knew I was gonna say that...! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 5th, 2019, 12:39 am

And here I am still wishing Snow and the Seven came to fruition. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 5th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Order of the Seven, right? Yeah, that did sound pretty interesting.
ShyViolet wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 5:57 pm
And this isn’t like a TRUE re-imagining the way the scary HBO version with Sigourney Weaver was.
Snow White: A Tale of Terror. I've only seen it once years ago... I hated it! What a bore.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 28th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks Lucy Hale would make a great Snowy:

Seriously, she would be my dream pick.

Lady Gaga as the Evil Queen? Not so much. I could see it, but I feel she would be wasted since the Queen doesn't sing. They could always give her a song, but you know what I mean... one things for sure, Gaga is long overdue for a Disney film!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 29th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Couple tidbits:
Skyler Shuler wrote:Any names you can tell us that Disney is looking at for the Evil Queen?

Not confirmed at this point but an actress that Disney likes for the role is Olivia Colman.
Skyler Shuler wrote:Snow White is casting filming in March. Hear they are going for big name actors for a couple of the dwarfs, and some will be CGI.
Olivia Colman? Eh. The CGI bit worries me...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by samlrs » September 17th, 2020, 6:34 am

looking how things are going with he Mulan live adaptation I believe the Big Mouse House will put all movie productions on hold for a while

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 19th, 2021, 3:24 pm

This isn't about the remake, but footage has surfaced of the canceled DisneyToon project The Seven Dwarfs:

Pretty fascinating and surreal. What could've been. Here's a pretty in-depth account from our own site on the history and drama.