Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Live-Action)

Post by Ben » July 15th, 2023, 10:11 am

Oops, my bad. Thought those were recent location pics.

Yeah, the Daily Mail is one of the most well-known papes here in the UK; I’d be surprised if they printed something that hadn’t been fact checked due to our publishing laws.

Only backs up how unfortunate this is already looking. If they’re going to change the "magical creatures" this much, why not cut some of them and just have five "magical creatures"? And why make one of them female anyway? "Seven little men" have become "seven whatevers"… :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 15th, 2023, 3:47 pm

Ben wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 3:53 am
Hang on…who is Matt Walsh…?
You don't want to know.

But yeah, this is my bad. The Daily Wire is what I was thinking of, so I'm sorry for reacting the way that I did! (Apologies, James!) But they have invested $100 million in creating "non-woke" programming for children intended to directly compete with Disney, including this soulless knock-off of Bluey (which isn't even a show Disney made!).

But no, that's not The Daily Mail (which I'll admit I'm less familiar with other than them kind of being viewed as a tabloid here in the states?). So I'm sorry again for my confusion. Though I do still take the plot information here with a slight grain of salt until Disney releases a trailer or something.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 15th, 2023, 3:55 pm

Ben wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 10:11 am
Only backs up how unfortunate this is already looking. If they’re going to change the "magical creatures" this much, why not cut some of them and just have five "magical creatures"? And why make one of them female anyway? "Seven little men" have become "seven whatevers"… :(
They use dwarves, and Peter "Is he ever NOT angry?" Dinklage complains about stereotypes--
They use CGI Hobbits, and other little actors complain about representation--
They make all seven male, and we get the goofy jokes about Snow's love-nest octet.

And I remember the 1997 "Snow White: a Tale of Terror" (still the best LA Snow White of them all) trying to play the "realistic" angle by rewriting the Dwarves into seven outcast fugitives, working together to build new lives mining in the mountains--Which actually worked, since it emphasized the story's central idea of Snow entering their lives and getting help in return.

Maybe we should stop letting women, midgets, LGBT, ethnicities, etc., stop driving the narrative about "punishing" old fairytales, stop making "apology" concessions to people who have no intention of being satisfied, and just play the original story for the high-grade feels like Walt knew the original could?

(And wait, didn't we already have the "One of them's too tall!' joke in one of the other flood of tween-fangirl Snow White versions in the mid-10's?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 15th, 2023, 4:22 pm

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with re-imagining some elements of fairy tales/older movies for a modern audience. Disney is going a bit overboard in changing so many details, though.
Maybe we should stop letting women, midgets, LGBT, ethnicities, etc., stop driving the narrative about "punishing" old fairytales, stop making "apology" concessions to people who have no intention of being satisfied, and just play the original story for the high-grade feels like Walt knew the original could?
Updating some aspects of these stories doesn’t automatically make them badly told. As for reaching “the feels” that Walt expertly knew how to tap into: you CAN actually do both, Eric.

And there’s absolutely no reason to state your dislike of these new films the way that you did. :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 15th, 2023, 6:22 pm

They should make one of them Wilf Errol.

(Say it out loud) ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Evergreen » July 17th, 2023, 10:26 pm

EricJ wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 3:55 pm
And I remember the 1997 "Snow White: a Tale of Terror" (still the best LA Snow White of them all) trying to play the "realistic" angle by rewriting the Dwarves into seven outcast fugitives, working together to build new lives mining in the mountains--Which actually worked, since it emphasized the story's central idea of Snow entering their lives and getting help in return.
Tale of Terror is my favorite version of "Snow White" for sure, including animated films.

I expect this film to be not much better than the other two live-action theatrical versions (Mirror, Mirror and SW&tH). I would think it could be about even with the latter (where that film had Hemsworth and Theron this has Gadot and the music), better than the former (outside of being uglier than it)--but they could out-do themselves and manage to make the worst live-action version of the story there is, who knows.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2023, 4:44 am

I think we can see where they’re heading, no…? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 18th, 2023, 3:09 pm

Yes: Making something even actually WORSE and more demographically kissup than that season of ABC's "Once Upon a Time" where Snow ran away to become forest bandit, and became leader of the Dwarves as her merry men. :roll:

That's why we got that flood of tween Snow White movies in the 10s:
Fangirls want the scenes of apples, glass coffins, and running away from mean jealous people, but so much as mention any scenes of cleaning house to try and get goodwill from strangers..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2023, 4:31 pm

Fixed 10s for ya… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 27th, 2023, 5:31 pm

Delayed from March 22, 2024 to March 21, 2025. First look:

So many questions.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 27th, 2023, 7:26 pm

Omigod they look weirdies! It’s like Shrek never happened (or was over twenty years old)!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 27th, 2023, 8:04 pm

Disney got caught flat-footed with a bad interpretation of the dwarfs and pivoted to something worse! Just cut your losses, Mouse House, and cancel this thing during the delay caused by "retrofitting" these new dwarfs the actors strike.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 27th, 2023, 8:42 pm

Is that even official, though? As a first-look image, that’s appallingly bad, and of poor quality. I can’t believe someone would approve Rachel Zegler's face looking like that. It’s all very bizarre.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 27th, 2023, 9:44 pm

Yep, Disney even posted it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 27th, 2023, 10:14 pm

So odd. I thought we weren't getting dwarfs? And that her companions were to be more diverse? But now that we have dwarfs, they don't even look like the ones from the cartoon at all. Just weird, weird, weird. And not particularly good.