Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Live-Action)

Post by Dacey » May 19th, 2021, 3:38 pm

Wow. That animation actually looks really great! Shame about the lack of sound, but it appears that was for a rejected teaser trailer?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 19th, 2021, 7:02 pm

While it looks *pretty* good, and for 2005 it’s very impressive, it’s the lighting and coloring that is making this look much better than it is. The actual animation is an awkward combination of being too simplistic *and* over-hyper — sound and performance would have naturally helped but neither character actually *acts* with their recognisable personalities — although the models themselves have actually been translated over quite nicely. Very interesting peek, though, and on par with the Tink movies in what kind of level this might have been.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 19th, 2021, 10:29 pm

And looks like they were going with "Prequel" to get around John Lasseter's new rule against Toon Studios sequelizing any existing classic story.
There was reportedly a lot of friction, even to the point of Toon Studios keeping two sets of books from Lasseter about the first Tink movie's plot, since they'd already gone ahead with a Pan-canon story.

And with apologies to diehard Return to Neverland fans, Toon Studios has ALWAYS been too contemporary-hyper in its animation gags, no matter how classy the material they appropriate.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 20th, 2021, 5:19 am

Well, ironically, except for in Return To Never-Land...

For a film made in 2002, especially coming after the shakeup being described in another thread on Shrek, it is *remarkably* restrained as far as contemporary references go (even the end credit song is a cover!). Of course it's of its time — any film is — but I don’t remember anything that was as out of place or more dating as the 90s street kids of Hook, and all of the DisneyToon films handled their original sources with reverence, including Scamp and Patch's adventures, especially.

Maybe you need to see some of these films again, away from the perceived context that "dates" them as early 2000 films, and more towards a timeless view that plays them in their intended *period* settings. No, they’re not "great" films, but even the originals were "dated" when they came out (Lady And The Tramp is as 1950s kitchen sink/Douglas Sirk drama as you can get), and as home video product lines intended to wring a few more bucks where reissues of the originals had dried up thanks to home video releases, most of them work much better than they should or are remembered as.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 20th, 2021, 3:13 pm

And the Dwarfs "Prequel" was in development long before Pixar and John Lasseter were even in the picture. They couldn't loophole a rule that didn't even exist!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 22nd, 2021, 1:42 pm

Rachel Zegler cast as Snow White.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 22nd, 2021, 1:47 pm

Cool that Disney seems confident in West Side Story, which I remain excited about primarily because the original is one of my favorite movies of all time, and Spielberg seems extremely passionate about it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 22nd, 2021, 4:07 pm

Which is why I’m worried! It’s either going to be a totally redundant copycat, albeit "done modern", or too scared to really do it’s own thing or have a reason for being (Burton's Wonka), or it’s going to be insanely brilliant and eclipse all memories of the original. Hmm…which way do we think this might go… :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 22nd, 2021, 4:35 pm

From what I see, it's going to be the lovingly redundant copycat, except that Old Rita Moreno--who's been stumping for this one on high rotation in the publicity tours for her own memoirs--will be "the Harrison Ford" for the movie.
Ie., the official holy Old Survivor from the classic original movie who was symbolically brought back to mentor and legitimize the new kids one last time, and thus has a larger role that wasn't in the musical.
Last edited by EricJ on June 22nd, 2021, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 22nd, 2021, 4:37 pm

It's true…all of it… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 22nd, 2021, 4:40 pm

(Er, you were talking about the sudden inexplicable thread-bump/swerve to West Side Story, right, and not Snow White?
I can't imagine anyone thinking a live-action Disney would "lovingly redundant-copycat the original"--Cynically, maybe, for Lion King and Aladdin, but not "lovingly".)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 22nd, 2021, 4:43 pm

Rachel Zegler has been discovered for her first film, West Side Story, which is where Disney has seen her to pick her for Snow White. Do try to keep up! ;)

My quote was being Han Ford in Force Awakens, following on from your not incorrect Rita theory.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 22nd, 2021, 10:14 pm

Ziegler is a real beauty, so I'd be happy to see her in anything; but I look forward to Snow White a little more than West Side Story, which seems likely to be good, but ultimately redundant. However, the fact that Spielberg wanted to do it at all, and is so enthusiastic, does have me intrigued. Does he actually have a great take on it, or will it only make people remember how much they admire the original?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » June 22nd, 2021, 10:57 pm

I don't like Rachel Zegler but I don't care about this film so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 23rd, 2021, 5:57 am

Randall wrote:
June 22nd, 2021, 10:14 pm
Zegler is a real beauty, so I'd be happy to see her in anything…
I love how your criteria is her looks. *Can't sing, can't dance, can't act*, but you’ll see her in "anything" because she's "a real beauty"…?

Yeah, I know what you’d like to see her in…nothing at all! :lol:

Sorry…don’t want to pick you up on it, but dude, she’s like 20, and you recently picked me up for liking another actress 20+ years ago when she was the same age and I would only have been 25! ;)

(Fixed Zegler for you too. Guess you weren’t looking at her name, ya dawg, you) ;)

;) ;) ;) All meant in good fun!

(* not technically true or proven to be accurate!)