Disney’s Jungle Cruise

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney’s Jungle Cruise

Post by Daniel » October 11th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Official trailer:

I've been curios to see how they would adapt the ride. Looks fun! (if a bit frenetic!) Like how they incorporated little nuggets from the ride.

I can take or leave Dywane, since this feels a little same old same old, but yay Emily Blunt.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney’s Jungle Cruise

Post by EricJ » October 11th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Huh, fifteen years, and at least three or four project re-imaginings, since Country Bears/Pirates/Haunted Mansion, and they finally FINISHED it.

Looks like Tom Hanks & Tim Allen outgrew the roles, though.
Last edited by EricJ on October 12th, 2019, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 12th, 2019, 1:48 am

This looks like a lot of fun even if it seems they stole characters from The Mummy for the main characters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 12th, 2019, 2:00 am

There's still some theme park IP left to mine, for movie adaptations. Perhaps ..
  • Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, starring Mena Massoud
  • Disney's Golden Horseshoe Revue, starring Zendaya
  • Disney's Monorail: The Movie, with an all-star cast of dozens
Maybe they'll even make a movie based on Splash Mountain .. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 12th, 2019, 2:47 am

Though a little reminiscent of The Mummy (at least in tone), I enjoyed the footage I saw at D23. Johnson and Blunt were adorable together onstage, and the film looks like it could be harmless fun.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 12th, 2019, 3:22 am

One adaptation I would love is "It's a Small World".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2019, 4:17 am

"There is a tree in the Amazon..."

Good job this is a period adventure; that tree ain’t there now, folks.

It’s a period adventure film with an American lead and a British heroine, so obviously everyone is going to think "Mummy", especially with the Rachel Weisz vibe, but actually what she reminded me more of was Minnie Driver's interpretation of Jane in the animated Tarzan.

Plus, of course, those kind of couplings have been going back as far as 1937's King Solomon's Mines (directed by later-Disney helmer Robert Stevenson) and the biggie of The African Queen, from which this is taking huge chunks of inspiration from, not least for Johnson's character in various ways.

So there’s a lot more to this than just "The Mummy"...! I’m in! :)

And, what about "Hall Of Presidents"? When all the animatronic presidents come to life at night and chat about who was best, then something happens and they have to team up Avenging Presidents style to save the world, which when the world finds out about, Disney puts a spin on as saying it’s a publicity stunt. You could even have globetrotting fun with different Halls and presidents meeting up from the various parks with different accents and such...

Yeah, that’s a good one! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 12th, 2019, 5:53 am

I wasn't thinking The Mummy until she mentioned she had a brother and then I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. I thought this was coming out at Christmas but it seems I have to wait a lot longer dang it. I'd rather this was released before Frozen II to be honest.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 12th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Good day to you, sir...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 12th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Daniel wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 3:22 am
One adaptation I would love is "It's a Small World".
Sounds like it would have been fun, in Walt's day: https://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chie ... 0/153.aspx

(Yes, the article's from 2003. Which gives you some idea how long they've been working on something to go with the "Jungle Cruise" title, too.)
Ben wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 4:17 am
And, what about "Hall Of Presidents"? When all the animatronic presidents come to life at night and chat about who was best, then something happens and they have to team up Avenging Presidents style to save the world, which when the world finds out about, Disney puts a spin on as saying it’s a publicity stunt. You could even have globetrotting fun with different Halls and presidents meeting up from the various parks with different accents and such...
Well, now that's getting into the Kingdom Keepers Magic Kingdom movie that Jon Favreau was all set to direct, until...Jungle Book made a mint, and the studio now wanted him to CGI-remake every single animal picture they'd ever made.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2019, 4:44 am

Somewhere, Bambi: Prince Of The Forest has just been announced...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 13th, 2019, 11:42 am

How close do you think it'll be like this, Ben? :lol:

https://forum.animatedviews.com/viewtop ... f=2&t=5499

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2019, 7:20 pm

That’s still one of the funniest and most well-observed things I’ve ever seen hit the net. It still gets play here every now and then.

Cuz I'm always thuuummpppeeerrrnn... :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 17th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Details from a test screening a few months back. One tidbit is Frank, the brother of Blunt's character, is gay. Don't have an issue with that, honestly. From the description, at least it sounds like more thought was put into it, compared to say Lefou. That whole hoopla was Much Ado about Nothing...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 17th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Actually, this had a hoopla of its own...people actually came out (no pun intended) and complained that the part of a gay man should go to a gay man, which prompted Stephen Fry to say he shouldn’t have been cast in most of the stuff he’s ever done!

That’s died down a bit since the movie was shooting, but I expect it’ll come back when it’s released, in the true dumb way these things are looked at thesedays... :(