Peter Rabbit 2 Trailer

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Peter Rabbit 2 Trailer

Post by Daniel » June 5th, 2021, 3:46 pm

Gotta love the marketing on commercials: "The only way to see Peter is in the theater" don't hear that every day!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 5th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Gotta love those Easter movies in the summer. :wink:

But it does look funny.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Now, now. Stop that. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 5th, 2021, 8:49 pm

Daniel wrote:
June 5th, 2021, 3:46 pm
Gotta love the marketing on commercials: "The only way to see Peter is in the theater" don't hear that every day!
Maybe it's Monster Hunter's fault, or maybe Godzilla vs. Kong's, but I've now got a red flag that pops up every time a studio centers its marketing around "Join the revolution!...We're in THEATERS, baybee! 8) "
That's the sort of pandemic-era equivalent of those really bad December comedies that had "Christmas" as the main focus of their ads, and had the characters bumping into each other to the Trepak Dance.

(If it gets any worse, they'll sink down to Cruella's level, and say "Don't reveal the cool secret twist!")

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2021, 8:58 pm

Again, we’ve been here before with the "only on theatres' blurb that used to grace any family film trailer. Time was, as is again, that they *are* only in theatres...until the inevitable home vid and steaming release.

And, no, I hadn’t heard there was a Thing about revealing the Cruella twist, but don’t spoil it, because it’s a good one and, even if you think you know where it’s going, it still plays out pretty well. Also, I think you mean to rise to Cruella's level, not sink. It’s a lot better than an lot of stuff out there!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 5th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Ben wrote:
June 5th, 2021, 8:58 pm
Again, we’ve been here before with the "only on theatres' blurb that used to grace any family film trailer. Time was, as is again, that they *are* only in theatres...until the inevitable home vid and steaming release.
The 90's "Only in theaters" was because the family-film market was so dominated by direct-to-video releases, it was unfortunately a real question parents asked.

Monster Hunter, Et. Al., try to recoup their CGI budgets by taking the marketable-idiot route of "Who cares about disease, I've waited long enough--I wanna see it BIG and LOUD!" Which desperation might play in Florida, but not in the other states.
Here, they're trying to tie the "rebellious" angle to Peter also being obnoxious, which is unfortunately too good of a match.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 6th, 2021, 1:14 am

"Theater" rhymes with "Peter?"

Huh. Am I the only one that says it as three syllables, with the middle one being subtle? "THE-a-ter." Maybe it's a Canadian thing. (In which case, it's "theatre," of course.)

It reminds me of "Arthur Christmas" meaning to rhyme with "Father "Christmas," but the joke is only apparent if you use a certain English accent.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2021, 4:57 am

EricJ wrote:
June 5th, 2021, 9:06 pm
The 90's "Only in theaters" was because the family-film market was so dominated by direct-to-video releases, it was unfortunately a real question parents asked.
This is, as was covered the last time this came up, all wrong and not true.

Theater/theatre...the Peter thing is lost on me. Everyone I’ve ever known or heard in promos says theater or theatre as THE-a-ter / THE-a-tre, as you say...?

(Except for some "old prospector"-accented types and those kinds of over the top people, like Lina Lamont, who make the the-A-ter/the-A-tre — emphasis on the eh — sound more important than it is, though those are character things and not specifically how anyone would normally speak.)

The er/re thing is the usual Americanism to spell as it’s said, like centre and center, although I’ve seen both used in the States over the years and more and more theatre seems to have become the norm, in this instance at least, all over.

But I bet you say the-AT-rical, right? ;)

The Arthur thing doesn’t quite work her either, but I can’t imagine anywhere having an accent where it didn’t work as intended, weak as it is. Even in the States, with the broad As, words like aunt and Arthur still have that ah sound, and if they do have a slightly different twang to it, then that’s how they would say Father anyway, too, so it still works, as best it can, for a pretty bad pun. Nice movie though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 9th, 2021, 3:10 pm

One of the spots I was talking about: