Disney's Pinocchio (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Pinocchio (Live-Action)

Post by Daniel » March 9th, 2022, 2:14 pm

First look:

Wow, look how faithful! I was expecting a more realistic approach. A bit on the cartoony side perhaps, but I like! Hanks looks good too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 9th, 2022, 3:34 pm

Wow, that's so faithful it makes this film feel even less warranted. I'll still have to watch it, of course.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » May 31st, 2022, 1:02 am

Kill it now before it's too late!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 31st, 2022, 4:38 am

It's…too late.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 31st, 2022, 9:42 am

Trailer. Why is the blue fairy bold?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 31st, 2022, 10:53 am

You mean bald, but that’s not the first thing that springs to mind…! Looks like the colors on this thin are going to pop, HDR or not! At least I know what my birthday viewing movie will be this year…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 31st, 2022, 2:07 pm

Disney+? Was that always the plan?

Edit: https://www.showbiz411.com/2022/05/31/d ... rs-trailer
Pinocchio” is coming, directed by Robert Zemeckis and starring Tom Hanks.

Remember, these two powerhouses had a huge hit with another family movie, “The Polar Express.”

So why is the Maus Haus releasing “Pinocchio” just to Disney Plus on September 8th and not to theaters? Isn’t this the perfect film for theaters? And also, if they want to qualify for the Oscars, “Pinocchio” has to be released in theaters. Hello?

There’s a great cast too, including Cynthia Erivo, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Keegan Michael Key, and Luke Evans.

Something is very odd about all this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 31st, 2022, 3:41 pm

gaastra wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 9:42 am
Why is the blue fairy bald?
Because she's BLACK, of course, this is a Disney remake! :roll:
Can't have a 30's platinum-blonde Blue Fairy, that's not inclusively magical...
So why is the Maus Haus releasing “Pinocchio” just to Disney Plus on September 8th and not to theaters? Isn’t this the perfect film for theaters?

Something is very odd about all this.
I think we're going to FIND OUT why:
I'm sure Disney wanted one of their CGI-heavy directors to replicate the Disney iconography, and Jon Favreau was busy on the Star Wars series, but watching the "new" embellished replications of the old scenes in the trailer, um....guys, remember why you fired Robert Zemeckis in the first place?
"A Christmas Carol" ring any memory bells?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 31st, 2022, 4:25 pm

The biggest shock with that trailer wasn't that my first thought was 'This looks alright, I might watch this', (after saying 'I'm out' after they told me from the studio that brought us those two live action abominations, it was the revelation that its going to Disney+. I too honestly thought this was a cinema release. Great to see they are still including Cleo in the adaptation, not sure why I care but it was nice she is still in it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 31st, 2022, 5:00 pm

Because she's BLACK, of course, this is a Disney remake! :roll:
Can't have a 30's platinum-blonde Blue Fairy, that's not inclusively magical...
This is such an insulting comment, Eric! :( What’s wrong with including characters of diverse makeup in in these movies? There have been tons of White blond females in Disney films, past and present. (What about Bo Peep in all four Toy Story films??).

Traditional Disney characters can look all sorts of ways…White, Asian, Black, etc…why do you feel this is SO wrong? Ask yourself, how would you feel if you were Black and reading a post like this??? :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 31st, 2022, 5:11 pm

gaastra wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 9:42 am
Why is the blue fairy bald?
Either the Blue Fairy, for her service, won a post in the Wakandan Dora Milaje, or else they wanted to go for a more GI Jane Blue Fai--

(*slap!!*)

Will Smith: "..KEEP the Blue Fairy's name outta your @#$%in' mouth!"
ShyViolet wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 5:00 pm
This is such an insulting comment, Eric! What’s wrong with including characters of diverse makeup in in these movies? There have been tons of White blond females in Disney films, past and present.
Because they literally don't know why they PC race-lift classic Disney characters anymore, they just do. That's insulting and racist. At least in re your other question, about how it feels to be pandered to.
Especially when it seems to come from a basic insecurity that they don't seem to know why they're remaking these movies anymore either, and think that going Little Mermaid/Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, and "diversifying" the cast, they now have a new reason for the movie to exist in the first place, despite audience's grumbles that it probably shouldn't.
(Qv. the fact that it's going direct-to-streaming anyway.)

You can either slavishly copy classic Pinocchio/Figaro/Jiminy iconography for almost literally no reason whatsoever--which means you're still stuck with an "embarrassingly" 30's-dated Carole Lombard Blue Fairy--or you can try to "re-interpret for modern sensibilities", and have Morgan Freeman play Gepetto.
But you...CAN'T...DO...BOTH.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 31st, 2022, 5:27 pm

Because they literally don't know why they PC race-lift classic Disney characters anymore, they just do.
By “they”, do you mean the directors/artists, or just executives? I think it’s safe to assume that EVERYONE at Disney is aware of the increased public call for more diverse characters by this point.

And honestly, who cares what one executive or director there supposedly “thinks” about having diverse characters; the fact that they’re now being incorporated into Disney films is what we’re discussing here.

I guess I just don’t understand why this is such a big deal to you.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 31st, 2022, 5:32 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 5:27 pm
And honestly, who cares what one executive or director there supposedly “thinks” about having diverse characters; the fact that they’re now being incorporated into Disney films is what we’re discussing here.
Exactly: When they start making movies for no reason at all, and start using after-the-fact changes to say "We, er, meant to make one like that!"...I care.

(Hey...I didn't even MENTION the fact that we're getting Keenan Key as a hip-black Foulfellow Fox.)
ShyViolet wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 5:27 pm
I guess I just don’t understand why this is such a big deal to you.
It's the remakes in general--And the increasingly desperate alibis with which they think they (ie. the execs, Bob Z pretty danged well doesn't care) can sneak a "new" one by, and still make the audiences care when it isn't a Lion King remake.

Isolate the cause, and you're halfway to finding the cure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 31st, 2022, 5:43 pm

These are all assumptions. We DON’T really know what the execs are thinking.

And again, what difference does it make what one exec or the other thinks? The important thing is that animated films are more diverse now. Both originals as well as re-makes. I think that’s a beautiful thing, and if you don’t, that’s your right. But constantly having to hear about that again and again can be grating.
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 31st, 2022, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 31st, 2022, 5:45 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 5:43 pm
I think that’s a beautiful thing, and if you don’t, that’s your right.
True: I'm male, and I don't really personally invest myself enough to CARE about the ethnicity or preference of cartoon characters, or think that it's "changing the world" when one animator shows off.

Our people just get upset when somebody ruins a story.