Get Out Star Rebooting Barney in new movie!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Get Out Star Rebooting Barney in new movie!

Post by gaastra » October 18th, 2019, 8:42 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 023897002/
The British actor said in a statement Friday that he is "excited to explore this compelling modern-day hero and see if his message of 'I love you, you love me' can stand the test of time.
"Barney was a ubiquitous figure in many of our childhoods, then he disappeared into the shadows, left misunderstood,” Kaluuya added.
“Working with Daniel Kaluuya will enable us to take a completely new approach to Barney that will surprise audiences and subvert expectations,” added Mattel

Films' Robbie Brenner. “The project will speak to the nostalgia of the brand in a way that will resonate with adults, while entertaining today’s kids.”

I don't know what to say.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Get Out Star Rebooting Barney in new movie!

Post by Randall » October 19th, 2019, 3:27 am

No. No. No.

And no.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 19th, 2019, 3:54 am

Randall wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 3:27 am
No. No. No.
And no.
As in "No, he didn't 'mysteriously disappear into the shadows', he ran for about twelve years on PBS, until the kids who used to watch him grew up and gave up on him", "No, there is no 'nostalgia' for the character", and "No, no one seriously says 'Subvert the audience's expectations' anymore."

We can expect this will probably be another backhanded deconstructionist spoof (like Mattel's Barbie movie?), and not a remake of '98's "Barney's Great Adventure".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 19th, 2019, 2:30 pm

What a dumb idea! As if having Daniel Kaluuya is suppose to be assuring. I wasn't really a fan back then, and I have no real nostalgia for that purple dinosaur.

It's like they saw the trailer for A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and thought to themselves "Gee, let's do that with another PBS icon". No. It's far from the same connection. "will surprise audiences and subvert expectations" Well, it can't possibly be a gritty backstory where he went through something mental and that's why he wants to spread love"... cool as that might be! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 20th, 2019, 12:31 am

EricJ wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 3:54 am
and not a remake of '98's "Barney's Great Adventure".
To which, btw, Roger Ebert wrote one of his most classic reviews:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/barn ... nture-1998

(That review is actually funnier than I expect most of Mattel's license-rescue Subverted Expectations to be. :lol: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 20th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Yeah, I remember that review; I read it from the Ebert movie yearbook. It was really cute and tongue-in-cheek at the same time. :)

Baloney!!!

https://youtu.be/28HHoXS2nO8

:lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 20th, 2019, 1:41 pm

The best thing about Barney were the parodies that followed. Full House, The Simpsons, and probably my favorite: Baloney from Animaniacs. Priceless!

Edit: haha, great minds!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Death To Smoochy. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 22nd, 2019, 3:46 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 1:38 pm
Yeah, I remember that review; I read it from the Ebert movie yearbook. It was really cute and tongue-in-cheek at the same time. :)
Maybe I'm confusing it with another review, but I seemed to remember Ebert, in his easy-reader style, adding "Barney seems to laugh a lot. I don't know what he laughs about."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 22nd, 2019, 4:44 pm

I don’t think it was the Barney one, I actually just re-read that and saved it (it was even funnier than I remember!); it kinda sounds like it came from another review on a cheaply made kid’s film. Ebert’s clever (and never overly-ironic) reviews of not-so-great films always had so many stand-out lines.

There’s actually a whole book out there filled with ONLY his one star ones: “I hated hated hated this movie”. (That line is actually from his review of the 90s Elijah Wood comedy North. ;) lol)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 21st, 2020, 8:25 am

Update on darker barney movie! "i love you" song is now sung by a depressed and sad barney knowing the world hates him!

Really.

https://www.cbr.com/barney-live-action- ... l-kaluuya/

The theatrical adaptation was announced back in 2019. No casting details or release date have been announced, and plot details are scarce. Producer David Carrico hopes it will "get 'I love you, you love me' stuck in heads everywhere, yet again."

Black Panther and Get Out's Daniel Kaluuya said at the time, "Barney was a ubiquitous figure in many of our childhoods, then he disappeared into the shadows, left misunderstood. We're excited to explore this compelling modern-day hero and see if his message of 'I love you, you love me' can stand the test of time."

"Working with Daniel Kaluuya will enable us to take a completely new approach to Barney that will surprise audiences and subvert expectations," Robbie Brenner, head of Mattel films, previously said.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 21st, 2020, 2:48 pm

As someone who grew up with Barney, I'm amused by how every article clarifies this is going to be a live-action movie when Barney has always been in live-action.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2020, 3:09 pm

The best dark Barney movie was Death To Smoochy. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 21st, 2020, 7:25 pm

gaastra wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 8:25 am
Update on darker barney movie! "i love you" song is now sung by a depressed and sad barney knowing the world hates him!

Really.
Looks like someone got a little re-boost of confidence after watching the Banana Splits Movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2020, 8:53 pm

Looks like someone came in just to make the super-obvious but probably million-miles-away point! ;)