Disney's Peter Pan and Wendy (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Peter Pan and Wendy (Live-Action)

Post by Daniel » January 8th, 2020, 2:03 pm

This was announced a few years ago, and has now been retitled:
Discussing Film wrote:We have learned that Disney’s live-action ‘Peter Pan’ remake has been retitled to ‘Peter Pan and Wendy’ and that the film will eyeing to begin production on April 17th in Canada.

The ‘Peter Pan’ film will be directed by David Lowery, he will also co-write the screenplay with Toby Halbrooks.

David Lowery is known for directing ‘Ain’t Them Bodies Saints’, ‘Pete’s Dragon’, ‘A Ghost Story’ and ‘The Old Man & The Gun’. Toby Halbrooks is known for writing ‘Pete’s Dragon’ and for producing ‘A Ghost Story’. Jim Whitaker will produce the live-action remake, he has previously produced Disney films such as ‘A Wrinkle In Time’, ‘The Finest Hours’, ‘The Odd Life of Timothy Green’, the upcoming Disney+ feature film ‘Timmy Failure’ and Lower’s previous Disney film, the live-action ‘Pete’s Dragon’.

It was said last year by our friends at TheDisInsider that the live-action ‘Peter Pan’ film could be going to Disney+. Whilst we cannot confirm if the film is heading to the streaming service or not, it wouldn’t be surprising given how many live-action remakes are already being prepared theatrically for 2021.
Beautiful scene used for the story ~!

Yes, Peter Pan has been done to death but I think this has potential. Given the many takes, few are actually adaptations of the original book. The original book and play have quite a wistful atmosphere which the Disney classic only lightly touches on. Not to mention that various characters and locations aren't explored in much detail. If it borrows from those, this could be real good!

I have faith, trust and pixie dust this will go to theatres! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Peter Pan and Wendy (Live-Action)

Post by EricJ » January 8th, 2020, 7:52 pm

They mention it's "been around for a few years", and I seem to remember some non-Disney deconstruction/update/etc. non-adaptation spin on the book being mentioned around this time. (Something about how Wendy found Neverland by herself and ran into Peter, and...Or was that another Oz spin?)
Darn if I can place it, though, and the new articles don't even link it beyond remembering that there was one.

Hence the "And Wendy", to distinguish from an actual animated-remake, and could be a third-party project Disney just grabbed up and slapped their own brand-name association on, like they did with "Sorcerer's Apprentice" and "Tim Burton's Alice".

Oh, and:
David Lowery is known for directing ‘Pete’s Dragon’
Toby Halbrooks is known for writing ‘Pete’s Dragon’
...Just sayin'. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2020, 12:43 pm

At the very least, it was different from the original. Though I do think it was a missed opportunity not to use "Candle on the Water" in some capacity.

Peter is all Disney. Here's the original announcement.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 19th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Tiger Lily to play a pivotal role:
TheDisinsider wrote:Two weeks ago reports surfaced that Disney’s live-action Peter Pan remake was moving forward and retitled Peter Pan & Wendy. With casting underway, we have learned additional information regarding Tiger Lily.

We have learned that the studio is looking to cast Native American or First Nations actresses ages 18 to 25 to play Tiger Lily (character will be 15/16 in the film). The character will also have a horse sidekick. Additionally the character will play a much larger role than portrayed in Disney’s animated version, which featured Tiger Lily in a more “damsel in distress” type of role.

Here is a quick breakdown of the character we’ve obtained:

Tiger Lily is indigenous to Neverland with a bow at her back, she is both a fierce warrior and a serene and benevolent leader who protects Neverland and the lost boys and girls from the dastardly Captain Hook. This character will speak in both English and a native language.
Interesting. Could be cool. Always thought it was a bit of shame she wasn't brought back for Return To Never-Land.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 19th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Different times, Dan, different times...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2020, 2:31 pm

Casting calls for Peter, Wendy, John and Michael:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 31st, 2020, 1:12 pm

Margot Robbie has reportedly been offered the role of Tinker Bell. Though I'm not a big fan, seems like a good choice. "Mistah P" ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2020, 3:19 pm

That’s really cool about Tiger Lily being in it! :). If I’m not mistaken, she actually had a small role in the 2003 live-action version (which I’ve always liked). I hope more time is spent on her character.

(Also, the early 90s cartoon Peter Pan and the Pirates was actually produced by Fox, right? So funny that Disney owns it now! :) I know there was a huge conflict about it between Fox and Disney at the time.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 6th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Disney is now eyeing Joaquin Phoenix for Captain Hook. Heh, first Harley Quinn and now Joker. ;)

Doesn't seem like something Joaquin would do. Interesting idea.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 13th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Disney has found their Peter Pan and Wendy. And a theatrical release is still expected!
Variety wrote:Newcomer Ever Anderson will play Wendy while Alexander Molony will play Peter Pan in Disney’s live-action Peter Pan pic “Peter Pan & Wendy,” sources tell Variety. “Pete’s Dragon” director David Lowery is on board to direct. Lowery co-wrote the script with Toby Halbrooks. Jim Whitaker is producing. Though there were rumors of the film ending up on Disney Plus, like the “Lady and the Tramp” live-action adaptation, sources say the release is expected to be theatrical.
Pic of Alexander:

Cute kid.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 13th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Daniel wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 7:49 pm
Doesn't seem like something Joaquin would do. Interesting idea.
"We'll leave them a cake, with poison frosting...Wait, there's DAIRY in this!!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Little more info on the leads:
Toonado wrote:Anderson is the daughter of Milla Jovovich and director Paul W. S. Anderson.

Meanwhile, Molony is more or less a newcomer — having mostly acted on stage. He hails from New Zealand and serves as the voice of the titular character in Disney Channel's Claude.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Kind of doesn’t feel "old" enough?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 21st, 2020, 1:28 pm

A tad, perhaps. Unless that's Disney's goal. When compared to the actor from Once Upon a Time he looks like a baby! Robbie Kay was a brilliant "evil" Pan. Didn't much care for the season, but he was great! Gonna be weird to see Pan good again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 21st, 2020, 4:02 pm

Jude Law to play Captain Hook. Good choice!