Disney's Peter Pan and Wendy (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Peter Pan and Wendy (Live-Action)

Post by Daniel » April 12th, 2021, 2:55 pm

First look at Jude Law as Captain Hook:

ImageImage

Not very flattering! Outfit looks kinda cheap. Will probably look better with an overcoat and hat.
Last edited by Daniel on April 12th, 2021, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 12th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Yeah. I’m sure he’ll do a good job with the part, but in my opinion, right now he doesn’t look remotely scary.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 13th, 2021, 12:08 pm

I don't know, that receding hairline kinda gives me the creeps. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 29th, 2021, 2:26 pm

New set photos:

Make it blue! ;)

Interesting design with the ship. Possibly Hangman's Tree? Looks like Peter in the middle with the mermaids. Doesn't really make sense right now but pretty unique.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 12th, 2021, 2:45 pm

The children actors for The Lost Boys have been revealed. I really shouldn't be surprised, but a major change: Several of the children are girls!

I don't mind diversity, but I loathe gender swapping as it rarely adds anything.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 12th, 2021, 4:45 pm

Harrumph!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 12th, 2021, 5:00 pm

It’s a cute idea, but the characters are SUPPOSED TO BE BOYS—what if they were originally “The Lost Girls” and Disney executives said: “Hey, let’s make them boys!” Probably wouldn’t work out so well. :?
I don't mind diversity, but I loathe gender swapping as it rarely adds anything.
Yeah, same.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 12th, 2021, 5:09 pm

The Lost, er, Guys? No, that still doesn’t work!

Blame JM Barrie! He was a weirdo anyway! And apparently sexist! Ban him! Cancel Peter Pan! Wait, why are we making this again? Stop shooting, we can’t release this now!

World’s gone mad. :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 12th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Well, Barrie did generously took the time to point out WHY there are no "Lost Girls" in Neverland:
"Girls, of course, are too smart to fall out of their carriages."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 12th, 2021, 5:59 pm

Everyone knows that Jane was the first Lost Girl anyway. :wink:

(I do non-ironically love how images from RTNL are constantly used by mistake on entertainment sites as “stills from the original”)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 12th, 2021, 7:33 pm

It’s a common mistake with franchise films to have sequels mixed up. When Dave Prowse died they showed Vader's entrance at the start of Star Wars, but captioned it as The Empire Strikes Back!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 13th, 2021, 2:25 am

Having girls play Lost Boys is wrong... but then, Peter was usually played by lady actors on stage!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 13th, 2021, 6:40 am

But he was still a boy!

This kind of again goes back to the original text: maybe Barrie should have called them the Lost Children, which would now be the Lost Kids. Although making that change back then would have meant that the story didn’t fit into the Boy's Own adventure mold that it was designed as, albeit one with actually quite well developed female characters: Wendy is, after all, the protagonist on whom the story revolves (if she didn’t rebel against having to grow up then there’s no reason for Pan to come along), and Tink arguably does more to propel plot forward than Pan, who is basically a bland hero, does.

So the females are already quite well established and drawn (Wendy is also the most "real" character in the play and subsequent adaptations), leaving Pan and the Lost Boys to provide the adventure, but one-dimensional, characteristics. There’s no need to make any changes here!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 13th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Wouldn't say "bland":
In Barrie's play, Peter is...well, "jerk" might be too strong a term, but, being a 10-11-yo. boy, he's not particularly mindful of other people's needs and feelings, especially Wendy's, Tink's or Tiger Lily's. That's supposed to be intentional, since Barrie was sentimentally suggesting "boyhood", and emphasizing how mature Wendy was for her age, as the Den Mother.

Disney's Pan was older, about Bobby Driscoll's 13-14, but they still managed to capture the boyish Egotistic-Jerk angle of Barrie's character, and make him a rollicking boys'-hero pirate-fighter. That's not easy to do, especially after just aceing the equally hard-to-correctly-interpret Alice in Wonderland.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 12th, 2021, 4:18 pm

Jim Gaffigan on the remake: (6:20 mark)