Li(ve)lo & Stitch

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's Lilo & Stitch (Live-Action)

Post by Randall » February 9th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Not that they'll go that way, but this would likely work better with puppets. (Think Farscape, not ALF.) One could totally see the Henson company handling it if given the chance.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 9th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Brings to mind "Stitch's Great Escape!" Think that was pretty convincing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 9th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Daniel wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 3:32 pm
Brings to mind "Stitch's Great Escape!" Think that was pretty convincing.
I know the point where he "jumps" on your shoulder was done with just clamping down the shoulder-guards, but to this day I still don't know how your hair could suddenly feel a "Cootchy-coo!" ruffle.
What? Oh, you meant the animatronics figure. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 23rd, 2020, 2:27 pm

Chris Sanders shares his thoughts on the remake:
Cinemablend wrote:I definitely thought CG was, not at that point, up to the task of turning [Stitch] into something that would be visually not disturbing. With traditional hand-drawn animation cells you can make it in a particular way you can look at that and not see it as odd. If you think about a reinterpretation of Lilo as a CG character, she would just look very strange because I think she'd feel very Muppet-y because of her big mouth, while in the hand drawn realm she looks pretty normal.

Even though he was very bizarre, I think you could buy that people would accept maybe that he was some sort of dog and not just run screaming from him [in the animated movie]. But in live-action with real people that's going to be different. I don't think you could put a literal Stitch in there and believably think that people wouldn't just run away from him. So I'm very curious what angle they will take on him.
That makes two of us!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Director confirmed:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... -exclusive

(Dan...updated this from the thread I erroneously started up...thanks for the nudge!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Li(ve)lo & Stitch

Post by Daniel » November 13th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Kept your creative header I see. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 13th, 2020, 9:44 pm

I don't know how much Stitch would work as a photorealistic CGI creature, Lilo & Stitch is one of their more cartoony films.
Frankly, the only things to get excited about is that the original might be released in 4K and that Auli'i might play Nani.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 14th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Yeah, Auli'i would be perfect, she's even close in age to Nani!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 18th, 2020, 11:01 pm

Unconfirmed rumors suggest Disney will be doing one of their looney "improvisations" on the original, and reimagining it as a Tween Disney TV-movie, with a teen Lilo:
https://insidethemagic.net/2020/11/lilo ... -cast-tm1/
The actress seemed to be too young to be the possible Nani, and it's easier to see the sisters closer in age.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 19th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Aging up Lilo!? That sounds... terrible. The story is about the loss of family at a young age and a sister trying to keep it all together. Changing for the heck of it doesn't equal good! Changes the dynamic and the consequences. The potential of a 6-year-old spending her entire childhood in the system verses spending a few months before being released. It just feels like they're trying to fix a problem that didn't exist, like so many of these redo's. I'll try to keep an open mind, but yeesh. Next thing they'll get rid of the Elvis angle...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 19th, 2020, 4:20 pm

The problem is that it's hard to find a really good child actor who can deliver the goods. Or, put in the hours required to be a lead, due to filming laws for child actors.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Yeah. ET really fails because the kids were just so bad at making us believe they were interacting with an alien... ;)

Maybe they just need to get a decent director...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 19th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Yes, it's a little harder to generate the central crisis of Nani trying to keep the family together, if Lilo goes to a foster home at 15.
The crisis is more likely going to be centered around Stitch, and whether Cobra's old CIA connections will find out, while we spend more free-spirited fun of Lilo bonding Elvis dance moves and rocket jaunts with her new equally free-spirited weird-pal--
While being Misunderstood by her mean-girl hula-class girls, who are no longer riding tricycles.
Randall wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 4:20 pm
The problem is that it's hard to find a really good child actor who can deliver the goods. Or, put in the hours required to be a lead, due to filming laws for child actors.
...MOSTLY the latter.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 19th, 2020, 9:00 pm

So they are basically remaking Bumblebee but with Lilo & Stitch dressing.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Elvis might get the boot too, now that the Estate knows how popular the franchise is. Disney could afford it before, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Elvis gets swapped out for another artist down the line.