Disney's Rapunzel (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Rapunzel (Live-Action)

Post by Daniel » February 15th, 2020, 12:10 pm

TheDisInsider wrote:With Disney’s live-action reimaginings dominating the box office and Disney+, it comes as no surprise that we are hearing the studio is developing a live-action Rapunzel movie.

No word on if the film has any relation to any of the Tangled franchises such as the 2010 film, the Tangled Ever After Short (2012), The Disney Channel original Tangled Before Ever After (2017), and Tangled The Series (2017-).

Ashleigh Powell (The Nutcracker and the Four Realms) Is writing the script, and the movie will be produced by Michael De Luca (Moneyball, Captain Phillips) of Michael de Luca Productions and Kristin Burr (Christopher Robin) of Burr! Productions, who is also producing Cruella. Studio execs are Zoe Kent who is working on the live-action Lilo and Stitch for Disney+ and Jessica Virtue (Mulan 2020). Lucy Kitada (Eleanor & Park) will oversee the production. A search for the film’s director is currently underway.

The studio is currently searching for a director to tackle the film that we hear is being made for a theatrical release, and not a Disney+ exclusive like Lady and the Tramp. If the project is related to the beloved Disney franchise, hopefully, we also receive a Eugene Fitzherbert aka Flynn Rider, and the villainous Mother Gothel.
If it is indeed related to Tangled, feels a little too soon, especially with the TV series about to end. Lets see if it keeps the name. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Rapunzel (Live-Action)

Post by EricJ » February 15th, 2020, 8:42 pm

It could only be losing the name because
A) it's for foreign release, where "Tangled" was "Rapunzel",
or
B) it's NOT a "live-action Tangled", and just some generic deconstruction-retelling they picked up as an overconfident package deal with the Cruella movie.

I'm going with B. We've been freaking out every time Disney announces a movie, whether it's really "theirs" or not.
Not to mention, it's the loopy Nutcracker writer (yeesh!...Did anyone sit THROUGH that unintentional Linda Woolverton-parody?), so I'm guessing we're getting some unofficial grrl-power "She's not just the Princess in the Tower!" retelling which Tangled already did a perfectly good job of deconstructing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 15th, 2020, 9:41 pm

I'd prefer an Enchanted sequel than a live action Rapunzel at this point of Disney's plan.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 16th, 2020, 5:17 am

Nutcracker was an unexpectedly sweet little surprise of a film, nothing more, nothing less.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 16th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Yes. Yes it was. Visually stunning!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 17th, 2020, 1:10 am

Ben wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 5:17 am
Nutcracker was an unexpectedly sweet little surprise of a film, nothing more, nothing less.
I could go into paragraphs here, but I already did, on another forum. I don't want to relive it:
https://forums.tcm.com/topic/53230-i-ju ... nt-2116429

Let me know if it got any worse. I'm morbidly curious that way. :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 17th, 2020, 6:27 am

Well, I couldn’t be bothered to read all that stream of, uh, consciousness, but looking at that page I saw two things. That you’re wrong, and that you don’t get what the Classic in Turner Classic Movies means.

Okay, so I didn’t see Nutcracker for a long time, and maybe expectations were so low they were under the floor after being bitten by A Wrinkle In Time (now that one truly was awful in every way), but when we finally ran this, ironically over Christmas even though it’s not really a Christmas movie, it was widely appreciated by all as something sweet, nothing more and, like I said, nothing less. It’s certainly no classic, which again has me puzzled why you posted that there, but it had some nice moments, Kiera (whom I’m not always the biggest fan of) let herself go into the role, and it looks gorgeous. For all the behind the scenes shenanigans, this turned out okay and was a pleasant way to spend an hour forty, and not a "whole two hours", leaving time to enjoy a cosy hot chocolate with it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 17th, 2020, 6:52 am

Ben wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 6:27 am
Well, I couldn’t be bothered to read all that stream of, uh, consciousness, but looking at that page I saw two things. That you’re wrong, and that you don’t get what the Classic in Turner Classic Movies means.
It’s certainly no classic, which again has me puzzled why you posted that there,
It's a forum drift-topic buddy-system thing--We write book reports of ANYTHING we watch, to keep ourselves sharp. Doesn't have to be TCM, although it helps when they show some of the obscure 30's ones.

And, er...EVIDENTLY you hadn't seen the Nutcracker in some time to like this. The Weird Maurice Sendak '86 is still one of my favorite movies (and now showing everywhere on streaming as an MGM/Orion orphan), the Macaulay Culkin '94 is surprisingly pleasant and kid-friendly, if a little too earnest, and...no, no, I draw the line at that '90 Canadian animated movie. That one was cheap and goofy, but at least it wasn't narcissistic, tribalistic and insulting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 5th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Hints pointing to a remake of Tangled:
Alan Menken wrote:I’m so grateful to everyone involved with RAPUNZEL’S TANGLED ADVENTURE-- the production team, all the creatives, the amazing voice talents, our wonderful music team and the incredible devoted fans. Glenn and I had a blast, writing so many new songs that continue the journey we started with the animated film and the cruise ship live show. What a blessing TANGLED has been. And there’s more to come...stage? Live-action? Stay tuned!!
Glenn Slater wrote:Hard to believe we’ve been musically galavanting through the Corona countryside for over 10 years! And who knows, maybe we’ll be back there again soon…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Hope they don’t stay in Corona too long and pick up any viruses...