my hero academia Heroes Rising 3rd place in american box office

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

my hero academia Heroes Rising 3rd place in american box office

Post by gaastra » February 28th, 2020, 10:39 pm

my hero academia Heroes Rising made 3rd pace in american box office today. Dragonball made 1st and so did weathering with you all in limited release of only 3 to 4 days and a few showings. Why on earth are these films not getting wide releases? They would make so much more in wide release. Does Hollywood hate money?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/date/2020 ... _=bo_hm_rd

https://deadline.com/2020/02/my-hero-ac ... 202869721/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: my hero academia Heroes Rising 3rd place in american box office

Post by gaastra » February 29th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Additionally, Funimation's My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising has exploded on screens. The film had already pulled in a little over $3.3 million after debuting on Wednesday and added an estimated $1.8 million on Friday, pushing the film's cumulative total to $5.2 million after three days of release. Comparatively, Funimation's release of My Hero Academia: Two Heroes back in 2018 brought in $5.75 million over the course of about three weeks and largely an event style release. Heroes Rising received a 5-star rating from PostTack, and a 91% critics score and a 98% positive audience score on RottenTomatoes. The film is expected to deliver around $6+ million for the weekend.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/e ... _=bo_hm_hp

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 29th, 2020, 5:04 pm

This is all just hypothesizing but I wonder if its because of the hit and miss of anime at the the US Box Office. For every success there is a movie that doesn't connect. I understand the success of Dragonball and My Hero Academia as they have a built in audience - BUT sometimes TV and DVD success doesn't translate to Box Office success so maybe that's why they were hesitant.

I was surprised by the success of Weathering With You and I don't think the distributor was expecting it. Your Name didn't exactly light the US Box Office on fire and that would be what the distributor would have planned the release plan of Weathering With You off.

And throw in the fact they aren't CGI animation, I understand the hestitation. I imagine most of the money comes from home release for the distributor. The box office just helps with the sales they really care about.

What I think we should focus on is that perhaps the recent success will encourage wider distribution of future movies.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 29th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Well basically, for better or for worse, these movies are released as "fan events" rather than regular releases. But whatever works, I suppose (Dragonball did get "upgraded" to a regular release after its breakout success).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 29th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Mostly Fathom event-screenings with months of fan-loaded pre-information, but...gosh, nobody wanted to see the new feminist "Invisible Man"??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 1st, 2020, 4:51 pm

Came in 4th place weekend box office in limited release! How much would it have made in wide release?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/e ... _=bo_hm_hp

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 2nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

It's hard to say, but it does seem safe to assume that some money is being left on the table when theaters don't at least have regular showtimes for these things. AT my theater, the movie only played once a day over the weekend at like 9:00. But again, they get the profits they "need" from these fan screenings, but there does appear to be more of an audience for them than they're ultimately getting.

(And The Invisible Man lead the weekend with $29 million)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 2nd, 2020, 4:22 pm

This may just be a regional thing, because where I live it seemed to have just as many showings as some wide releases and had one of the premium format theatres to itself. Four theatres in town have a single showing. The largest theatre has two dubbed showings, two subtitled showings, and five 4DX premium showings.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 4th, 2020, 9:33 pm

If you missed the our hero academia movie fathom events are bringing it back this weekend!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 5th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Will be interesting to see if does just as good.