Disney's Hercules (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's Hercules (Live-Action)

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2020, 9:30 pm

It's all right. The sea of raging hormones has ebbed. ;)

I’m sure whoever they cast, it’ll be a real slice. ;) ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 9th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Since Danny DeVito has already been in a remake, would be cool if he were asked to be a part of this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » May 13th, 2020, 8:38 am

What are your thoughts about the possibility that the film might not be a musical?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 13th, 2020, 2:45 pm

I would be disappointed. It's understandable with Mulan, it's another with Herc considering its comedic tone. The soundtrack is so iconic and memorable, easily one of Disney's best. Can't picture a remake without them. Wouldn't be as fun.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 13th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Taking the songs out of Herc would really make it feel unlike the original. I agree-- I was okay doing that for Mulan and making it a straighter action/adventure tale; but Disney's Herc really needs those songs to sell it as the Disney version. Otherwise, it's just another Hercules film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 13th, 2020, 9:58 pm

That’s what was said about Mulan until everyone saw the tone and what they were going for. I can see them going the same way here too, if probably infused with a lot more comedy to keep it "a Disney version" and different to other Herc movies. Even if they don’t keep all the songs, I can definitely see Zero To Hero being used in a central montage, though it would be nice to hear some of the new ones from the stage version too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 14th, 2020, 11:56 am

Randall wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 6:10 pm
Taking the songs out of Herc would really make it feel unlike the original. I agree-- I was okay doing that for Mulan and making it a straighter action/adventure tale; but Disney's Herc really needs those songs to sell it as the Disney version. Otherwise, it's just another Hercules film.
And a "wacky" contemporary-spoof Hercules at that, which pretty much went out with Xena: Warrior Princess in the 90's.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 15th, 2020, 7:00 pm

From the point of view of someone who studied Greek Theatre in depth (i.e. one term in Year 11 Drama), it wouldn't bother me if they removed all the non-Muses songs but I feel keeping the Muses songs would help keep the Greek Theatre concept of the Chorus give the movie some framing/narrative device that would work in a comedy movie.

On a slightly different note: I wish they would stop getting people to cover Meg's song as a solo act. Give it to a girl group to perform.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 5th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Reunion with the original stars: (starts around the 10:40 mark)

Little lengthy and some filler, but definitely worth a watch! "No way, Bombay." ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » December 21st, 2020, 12:04 am

Avengers Directors Update Disney’s Hercules Remake From Wonder Woman 1984 Writer
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/aveng ... 84-writer/
"We have an incredible writer on it, Dave Callaham, and he's off on script. We should be seeing something in the next week or two, I think," Joe Russo told Collider. Asked if Hercules will carry over the original film's music, Russo said, "We're keeping that all under wraps for now. We want the audiences to have some discoveries about what's fresh about our take."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 21st, 2020, 6:07 am

Okay, so...yes, however limitedly, and there will be new music.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 27th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Could go either way, but it's sounding like it won't be a musical. Guess we'll see soon enough.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » December 27th, 2020, 3:46 pm

Even if Hercules and other don'ts sing, I hope they keep The Muses as The Greek Chorus. It would at least make the movie stand out from all the other live action Hercules that are out there. As someone who was made to study Ancient Greek theatre for his high school drama course, I really appreciated the use of The Muses in the original Disney film, even though I know of people who didn't like them, mainly because they didn't understand Greek theatre protocols.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 6th, 2021, 3:22 pm

Michael B. Jordan and Taron Egerton are being considered for Herc. I like them both, either one would be perfect. If it remains a musical, Taron has proven he has the chops after Rocketman. Hard picturing Michael singing. Physique? Pretty on par. Same for their amount in upcoming projects, Michael probably a little more with his directorial bump for Rocky 9 (AKA Creed III). Let's see if either of them do get chosen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 6th, 2021, 6:04 pm

Daniel wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 3:22 pm
Michael B. Jordan and Taron Egerton are being considered for Herc.
At least they've found their new marketing "hook" alibi to explain why they're still doing unnecessary LA remakes, rather than publicly admit they're jump-starting their 90's-00's titles.