AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Hercules (Live-Action)

Post by EricJ » January 7th, 2021, 8:45 am

Ben wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 8:54 pm
The Lion King and Mulan say hi. ;)
(waves) Hi, Lion King and Mulan! :D
If you run into him, say hello to Will Smith's Genie!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 7th, 2021, 2:14 pm

Not to mention Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. "Jump-starting" more like finishing off.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2021, 2:47 pm

Xactly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 7th, 2021, 9:15 pm

Daniel wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 2:14 pm
Not to mention Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. "Jump-starting" more like finishing off.
No, that's the Big 90's Four, and they get everything--Broadway shows, IMAX, live-actions, one for all and all for one.
And what, I asks ya, do all those poor, unloved, forgotten '95-'05 titles ever get?...Oh, sure, Herc gets all the love now, and Mulan's got a ticket to China, but what about poor Atlantis and Stitch?? When was the last time you heard a kid say "Boom, baby!"?

(That's "Jump-starting", it's what you do to a dead battery, and it's why they're only doing the 00's movies, except for those off-book Pinocchio and Pan ones.
Like, did you think there was overwhelming direct-video audience demand fifteen years ago for "Fox & the Hound II"? Go ahead, you're going to pretend to say it anyway, so let's hear it, make it creative... :lol: )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 7th, 2021, 10:58 pm

I love how Eric keeps trying to baselessly argue that Lilo and Stitch wasn’t a success for Disney.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 8th, 2021, 6:49 am

Dacey wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 10:58 pm
I love how Eric keeps trying to baselessly argue that Lilo and Stitch wasn’t a success for Disney.
There's "Wasn't", and then there's "Isn't". Present tense.
Like, fourteen years after they folded the cartoon series with the franchise finale, and pretty much ended its marketable exposure, apart from some rapidly disappearing representation at the Parks.

Which is why it's now getting the same reboot-boost as Atlantis, which never even had first-generation success twenty years ago.
(Plus, the fact that THEY still think anything that came out between Pocahontas and Tangled was a "flop", even if it made Mulan or Tarzan numbers.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 8th, 2021, 8:31 am

I don't think Disney would made a Mulan/Hunchback/Hercules/Lilo & Stitch remakes if they didn't think there was a market for them. They don't really take chances now, they want billion dollars, not "jump-starting" anything.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 8th, 2021, 9:48 am

They make new Stitch merch every year. Of course there’s still a market for it. And Tarzan was behind only TLK and Aladdin as their third highest grossing film to date at the time.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2021, 11:14 am

Wow, whoever thought this thread would go the distance...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 8th, 2021, 3:40 pm

As usual, once a rant starts all logic and reasoning go out the window. A lot of what's been said is wrong.

"that's the Big 90's Four" The Little Mermaid was 1989. Even before then a few other films got the ball rolling...

We've been through all this with Lilo and Stitch. It was a success, plain and simple. It is soooo far from forgotten and unloved. It is still very much a hot commodity. Tons of merch get released on a regular basis.

They're not only doing remakes to 00s movies. (no-one specifies like this) There's still Snow White, Robin Hood, Hunchback and so on.

I haven't the slightest clue what you're trying to get at in the end of your post Eric, aside from sounding condescending. That doesn't sound like something I would do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 8th, 2021, 7:02 pm

Daniel wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 3:40 pm
"that's the Big 90's Four" The Little Mermaid was 1989. Even before then a few other films got the ball rolling...
Yyyep. Only that LA got a bit of a delay when it turned out Sophia Coppola wasn't going to direct it. Don't think they've forgotten their holy Big Four completism, though.
I haven't the slightest clue what you're trying to get at in the end of your post Eric, aside from sounding condescending. That doesn't sound like something I would do.
Go ahead. Just try...just TRY...and tell corporate Disney that Mulan and Tarzan were audience hits, Emperor's New Groove is a cult hit with the fans, that Treasure Planet is getting new appreciation on video, that Bolt and Meet the Robinsons got good critical reviews, or that Lilo is still as popular as Stitch.
They're literally only just now, in the last few years, grasping the concept that people born after 1997 love Hercules on video.

'95-'09...The Troubles. It was a traumatic time for them. Hercules, Atlantis and Treasure Planet publicly embarrassing their big Lion King box-office hubris three times in six years was bad enough, even before Chicken Little or Princess & the Frog came along, the Shrek 2 craze trying to cancel-culture all of their fairytale musicals--and the entire industry trying to grab a shovel and bury the studio after Pixar made them, quote, "obsolete" with Nemo--but then you had the folks in the office who only remember the post-Pocahontas years for Michael Eisner, Roy Disney and SaveDisney.com. No one has happy memories.
That's why any movie from that time is still corporately "apologized" for, if even mentioned at all, and reduced to Robin Hood status at the studio, no matter what audiences think. And you thought their 70's movies had it tough.

("So, why are they so excited about Live-Actions, then?"
Because you can always re-sell something people like. It's harder to get people buy something they "hate", or have "forgotten", unless you can piggyback it on a craze that already looks like a hit just for showing up.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 8th, 2021, 7:58 pm

EricJ wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 7:02 pm
Yyyep. Only that LA got a bit of a delay when it turned out Sophia Coppola wasn't going to direct it.
That was a Universal Pictures project, nothing to do with Disney.

"'95-'09...The Troubles." Before this you said on numerous occasions it was until 2005. Can't even keep track of your own made up dates. Seriously, so much of what you said was utter nonsense.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 8th, 2021, 8:30 pm

Daniel wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 7:58 pm
"'95-'09...The Troubles." Before this you said on numerous occasions it was until 2005. Can't even keep track of your own made up dates.
Well, yeah, but then you've got to figure in Chicken Little basically losing the "Pixar Wars" singlehandedly and sealing the deal on Eisner's exit,
- AND the studio thinking that Bolt and Robinsons would be "disasters" because they were failed Stainton ideas patched together in Lasseter redrafts,
- AND all the "Iger and Lasseter won't know how to run the company, and it'll go under in two years" industry doom-saying,
- AND the fear that "Glen Keane's Rapunzel" was never going to happen and princess-musicals were dead for good,
- AND we're not even up to "There ya go, Princess & the Frog proves audiences hate traditional animation!" yet.

So, okay, you want apologies, my bad: '05 was a nice ten-year round number, but if you skip over '05-'09, that's missing the real meaty stuff.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2021, 8:47 pm

You mean Sofia Coppola?

I love how Eric is, like, the ONLY person that uses the term of The Troubles for some imaginary era.

And I’ll just repeat my surprise of whoever thought this thread would go the distance...?