Disney Wanting to make live action Atlantis Movie!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney Wanting to make live action Atlantis Movie!

Post by EricJ » May 15th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Ben wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 4:50 am
Eric...regarding my "quote" a couple of posts up: could you give me a link to that actual post, because I don't believe I wrote that, at least in that format. If I did, then I can only think that it was meant sarcastically and looks weird out of context, but I’d like to see where and how it originally was posted.
I didn't have time to dig all of them up, every time the "It's NOT Hamlet!" discussions arose...Even into the 10's. So I just went for a representative summary.

Suffice to say, Japanese-anime fans were beating their heads against walls so hard, they'd find someone else to take the rap for the Katz-Burglar if they had to, as long as somebody took Disney to the judge.
Ben wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 4:50 am
After they finally got to Atlantis, it then became a different kind of gung-ho action movie where the otherwise pretty down to earth logic (for the kind of film it was!) got completely thrown out the window!"
They spent the first half trying to replace action with Wacky New-Character shtick, they ended up doubling-down on it, and most of the entire trip to Atlantis was about punching Milo two-for-flinching. If these sour bullying nutballs were going to help save the world, it would have helped if we'd had the least bit of sympathy to root for them.
(Something the spinoff cartoon finally managed to achieve in the "Atlantis II" TV-pilot direct-video.)

Leaving aside the sub, if they'd spent more plot focus getting to Atlantis by the one-half mark, instead of the last third, they'd have time left over to explain...why...glowing-blue Tiki-thingies...were going to destroy the world...after the heroine gets possessed...I think? :?
As a result, the "Science-fiction" gets jammed into a fast confusing climax--And no offense against James Garner, but the LEAST charming villain since George C. Scott in "Rescuers Down Under" meeting a fitting end brings only relief instead of action.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 15th, 2020, 4:14 pm

With regards to Hamlet, here's some posts I dug up:
EricJ wrote:
August 2nd, 2009, 1:06 pm
Ben wrote:especially since the Lion King has already seen two spin-offs (BTW, only one of those was inspired by a direct Shakespear play, the other by Tom Stoppard).
(And the main one, which was inspired by a stolen Japanese revival-cartoon, because Jeff K. thought we wouldn't notice the serial numbers filed off.) :P
Ben wrote:
August 3rd, 2009, 11:18 am
Well...and a direct Shakespeare play.
EricJ wrote:
June 12th, 2013, 6:50 am
Randall wrote:Not a video, but funny for Disney fans. Movie posters with "honest" titles..
http://thefw.com/honest-disney-movies/
(Hey, look, Ben, somebody else in the 21st century who still thinks Lion King was Hamlet! You're not alone on the island! :P )
Ben wrote:
June 12th, 2013, 2:05 pm
I don't understand that comment.
EricJ wrote:
December 9th, 2009, 1:59 pm
It's worse than Ben and the Lion King thing!
Ben wrote:
December 9th, 2009, 9:44 pm
But...I am intrigued...what's this "Ben and The Lion King" thing? :?
EricJ wrote:
December 10th, 2009, 12:09 am
(Since you asked: "B&B must be good because it was NOMINATED!" is probably the second most frustrating, brick-wall-bashing, anal-retentively stubborn, unkillable-cockroaches of Urban Legend that the more balanced animation fans are still trying to hammer with the bedroom slipper of History--
If it weren't for the dedication that some fans still have for the myth that unlike about two-thirds of his own generation, that not only had Jeffrey K. had never, ever seen a pop-nostalgic Tezuka series in his life--and wanted to spend his tenure at Disney edifying us with the Immortal Bard, 'cause, there's like an evil brother in it--but that it must logically follow that Timon & Pumbaa sequels were actually based on Tom Stoppard plays...
Sometimes, we wonder if the longtimers knew the truth all the time anyway, and are still doing either of them just to Annoy the Rest of Us.) :P
Ben wrote:
December 10th, 2009, 8:43 am
So, Eric...what's with this "Ben and The Lion King" thing?

Because the answer you gave didn't actually make any sense or tell me anything I didn't already know. There was only one Timon & Pumbaa sequel, by the way, so need for the plurals.
EricJ wrote:
December 10th, 2009, 1:21 pm
(Why are you making me go this far off-topic?--Okay, so it is, but on your head be it, and no complaining later--Let's try to find the trail of bread-crumbs back to the topic:
A) Someone thought Gary & Kirk would be good directors because they made one ambitious but overpraised film that got lucky, and another one that flopped but had good intentions and cult defenders, even though they constantly spoiled their own atmospheres with goofy kiddy-shtick.
B) I tried to counter that they weren't really that good as directors, and the one film they were known for wasn't what it was, through artificial fortune or circumstance, cracked up to be.
C) When I accused the movie of having "a zombie-like cult" based on the Neato historical artifact of getting a symbolic "stunt nomination" from the mania at the time, fans responded "Whaddya mean 'cult', and that 'we only like it because of its Oscar'?--It's only the greatest movie of all time, and it got NOMINATED!"
D) My sense of losing grip on a rational world tried to find an illustrative metaphor, and the closest onsite comparison I could make was to one of the last human beings on the planet who still believes--almost contrarily and petulantly so--that JeffK based his one reputation-maker movie on a Shakespeare play, on no other citation than He Told Us He Had, so why would he lie?
A name now synonymous with plagiarism lawsuits, a criminal record that reaches back nearly twenty years, the recent Astro Boy movie making us aware of how old studio executives only remember 60's Tezuka series, and our webmaster still believes that JK wanted to give Shakespeare because he was so Cultural.
It was not a thread about B&B, Oscars, LK, JK, Kimba or Shakespeare, just about stubbornness...Don't have to take it to e-mail, but why do you still believe that; it really does seem like you're still doing it just to get a rise out of the rest of us? And again, that Tom Stoppard comparison was just scary, and go find us one Toon Studio exec who's even heard of him.)

Whew. Right now in the northeast, we've already got a foot of snowdrift. I hate to have to shovel Thread Drift as well.
Ben wrote:
December 10th, 2009, 3:20 pm
I don't think I've ever suggested anything to do with JK and Shakespeare on these boards. The Hamlet parallels on Lion King were, if anything, actually attributed to Don Hahn, while the analogy was continued in the DTV Lion King II as basically being Romeo And Juliet. The "sidequel" of Lion King 1.5 was very much based on the Rosencratz And Guildenstern concept, whether the DisneyToon people had ever heard of Tom Stoppard or not. My guess: having actually met some of them, is that they're not the imbeciles you obviously imagine, Eric.

As for the rest of your rant...I'm sure I really don't know what the heck you're going on about and honestly think you have lost the plot.
EricJ wrote:
February 2nd, 2016, 11:40 pm
While we're digging up early pre-Shrek Katzenberg, there's another good point I've never been successfully convinced of (or if the explanation ever did turn up here, it must have been years ago and I forgot):
The Lion King=Hamlet thing, we know, was goofy, and yeah, we'll get Ben's traditional defense, but that was years ago. I'm asking, why did JK try so hard to also convince us that El Dorado was "a tribute to Hope & Crosby"--'cause, like, it had "Road to" in the name, and had two funny con men--when, y'know...it wasn't?
Ben wrote:
February 3rd, 2016, 2:33 am
Don't know what the "Ben's defence/Lion King" is about but as for the Road connection, Hollywood has always seemed to come back to this notion that pairing a couple of comedy players will equal Hope & Crosby style laughs, especially if there's a travel element in the script.
There's more but I do have a life! Notice a pattern? From just these snippets I don't see how that poorly written quote sounds anything like Ben! Just a vendetta that will repeat itself...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 15th, 2020, 5:32 pm

I think this might be the biggest burn anyone has ever given on this forum. :shock:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 15th, 2020, 8:55 pm

I just noticed that I couldn’t have written that as it sounds nothing like me. And, indeed, not only didn’t I say that, but as Dan has so well illustrated, I didn’t even have that viewpoint!

Daniel wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 4:14 pm
From just these snippets I don't see how that poorly written quote sounds anything like Ben! Just a vendetta that will repeat itself...
...over and over and over and over and over and over and over again... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 27th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Ryan Reynolds is being considered. Hard to imagine him as Milo...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Wait, what? He’s pretty much the only guy around right now that I can think of that would actually be quite good!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 27th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Daniel wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Ryan Reynolds is being considered. Hard to imagine him as Milo...
Did it say whether they were considering him for Milo, or for a new wisecracking ethnicity-free Vinnie?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 28th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Nah, but being a big name and all I would imagine they would want him as the lead.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 29th, 2020, 12:05 am

If they go with Milo being older, Ryan would work, I can see that.

My friend and I prefer Tom Holland, but I imagine many might think he would be too young perhaps.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2020, 7:30 am

Daniel wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Nah, but being a big name and all I would imagine they would want him as the lead.
By that logic, Will Smith would have played Aladdin.

Nope, I'm guessing wildly imaginative Disney tried to figure out which was the most "wisecracking" character, and Ryan was just all wrong for Moliere. :roll:
(And on that subject, yeah, I'm calling it now: Josh Gad's second dirt-eating character.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 29th, 2020, 11:55 am

No reason to assume Reynolds would be playing anyone but Milo (he’s a leading man right now). If this movie even gets made at all.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 29th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Will Smith as Aladdin? Now that's just idiotic. Never mind that he's too old, (although looks good for his age) this is based on a folktale of Middle Eastern origin. Really now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Hahaha... Eric thinks Aladdin is the main character in Aladdin...! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2020, 11:42 pm

Dacey wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 11:55 am
No reason to assume Reynolds would be playing anyone but Milo (he’s a leading man right now). If this movie even gets made at all.
Except for Disney's habit of getting unknown young teen-hunks and selling them to the fangrrl audience. Of whom Ryan's old enough to be their dad.

I'm guessing our Milo will have a distinctly Disney Channel-slash-Boy-band look to him, and they're already casting their sassy Latina Audrey...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Clearly, this won’t be that. This is aiming toward the older Jungle Cruise demographic, probably with a bit more humor to bolster up the enjoyment factor. This is being seen as Disney's own in-house Avatar series, hoping for a new franchise starter.