AV Founder

Re: Disney's Encanto!

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2021, 8:57 pm

Well, somebody seems to be a little excited to share their new film...! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 12th, 2021, 12:06 pm

Yeah, it's nice to see so much passion. Gives hope after that not so flattering toy leak! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 20th, 2021, 3:04 pm

New promo image:

Looks kinda cute.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 30th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Another leak showing Mirabel:

Looks nice from what can be seen. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 8th, 2021, 9:29 am

Poster.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 8th, 2021, 10:36 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 8th, 2021, 10:42 am

Is it me, or is the Disney logo larger than usual. It's kind of swamping the actual title on that poster.

Still getting a very My Peoples vibe from this.

I like the Madrigal = Magical thing, but "Disney Presents A New Movie" is the lamest trailer card in a long while. "Oh, look, we made another film. Here!" ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 8th, 2021, 4:42 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by danieltruchsess » July 8th, 2021, 6:15 pm

I'm really looking forward to this movie!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » July 9th, 2021, 3:18 pm

So my reaction to the teaser trailer:
I actually thought that the characters designs were boring and unimaginative, but maybe that's because of Luca and its designs which were different and unique to anything we've seen before from both studios. Not that they are bad, they're just ordinary I guess.

As for the content - while I thought it was entertaining and charming and fun, I'm hoping there will be more weight and depth to it, more stakes, otherwise it feels too flimsy, like something I'd expect from a kids TV show and not from a Disney animated feature. We'll see when more information comes out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2021, 4:32 pm

I must admit the designs did feel very akin to those in Ferdinand.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 9th, 2021, 6:54 pm

Is it terrible that my initial thought for why this movie exists is that Lim-Manuel Miranda is desperate for his own Oscar. I feel some circles thought he would ride the Hamilton coat train to an Oscar with Moana and when that didn't happen it feels like he is everywhere, especially this year. In The Heights, Vivo, Tick, Tick..Boom (although as director) and now this. And also throw in his upcoming work with The Little Mermaid. It's like the guy appears to be obsessed with getting a golden man (not saying he is but it looks like he is).

And even after all that whinging, I am finding Encanto appealing cause it is a musical, although musically it sounds like its retreading the sound of Rio. It also doesn't feel like an actual movie from Disney which is weird.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2021, 8:20 pm

He’s just a guy riding the wave of success. And, being successful, he’s going to be in demand by everyone, hence it feels like he’s popping up everywhere. If he gets offered the work, he’s going to take it and, if he delivers the goods, he’ll get offered more, until his popularity wanes and the next Miranda comes along.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 9th, 2021, 8:47 pm

I don't think that Miranda single-handedly got the film greenlit. That's really silly, no?

I would hope that every creative person is always trying to do his best work, regardless of the job. And you can't blame someone for taking advantage when he's in demand. Would you expect him to pass on every great opportunity, just to appear that he's not interested in awards? No.

As for Encanto.... With so many animated films having come out in the past 20 years, practically every film now is going to seem derivative of something. Even Luca, which I loved, started its story by being Little Mermaid meets Finding Nemo. There are no new stories. Having said that, the teaser shows some promise in terms of story, though nothing we haven't seen before, and not visually distinct. Ho-hum. At this point, we've gotten pretty spoiled.