Disney's Encanto!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Encanto!

Post by Farerb » July 9th, 2021, 11:48 pm

Bill1978 wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 6:54 pm
Is it terrible that my initial thought for why this movie exists is that Lim-Manuel Miranda is desperate for his own Oscar. I feel some circles thought he would ride the Hamilton coat train to an Oscar with Moana and when that didn't happen it feels like he is everywhere, especially this year. In The Heights, Vivo, Tick, Tick..Boom (although as director) and now this. And also throw in his upcoming work with The Little Mermaid. It's like the guy appears to be obsessed with getting a golden man (not saying he is but it looks like he is).

And even after all that whinging, I am finding Encanto appealing cause it is a musical, although musically it sounds like its retreading the sound of Rio. It also doesn't feel like an actual movie from Disney which is weird.
Non of the songs from In the Heights are eligible for an Oscar and take into consideration that both In the Heights and Vivo were supposed to be released in 2020 while Encanto was always intended for 2021.
I'm sure he wants an Oscar and he should have won in 2017 in my opinion, an Oscar is the only thing that keeps him away from being the first person ever to have MacPEGOT, but I don't think he's obsessed about it, he's just a guy who loves what he does and gets opportunities.
As for Encanto, this is how it started:
Though Miranda's work on Moana was only announced last summer, he secretly spent years on the project: Indeed, Disney chief creative officer John Lasseter and Moana directors John Musker and Ron Clements hired him before Hamilton became a hit. All involved are keen to continue the collaboration, and when Miranda sat down with Vulture yesterday, he divulged that he's now collaborating with Zootopia co-director Byron Howard on a new animated film they are building from the ground up.

"That's the fun thing about working with someone and having it go well — you go, 'Okay, what else can we do?'" Miranda told Vulture. "Lasseter took me aside and said, 'I have an idea: Here's Byron, and you guys should start talking.'" Though he was excited, Miranda couldn't say much else about the project, except to caution that it could take years to bear fruit, given the glacial pace of animated production. "We literally haven't gotten in the room yet," he said, "but we're plotting."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 10th, 2021, 8:03 pm

Just to be clear, I don't really have a problem with LMM getting work etc. I quite enjoy his output, it's just the marketing of the films I guess that pushes the thought of 'I want an Oscar' to the front for me. Again not LMM's fault or decision. And I understand why marketing would be using his name to sell the product. But the marketing just makes it seem like LMM is the only person out there who can write a musical these days - again not his fault. And I think he deserves an Oscar. And I am truly grateful that he is being offered work as it means more musicals for me to enjoy in the cinema etc.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 29th, 2021, 4:55 am

Trailer is today

New posters:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2021, 6:11 am

No-one can say Disney isn’t being diverse enough with this one, but I wonder what the complaint will be…there's always something they won’t have got exactly right… :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 29th, 2021, 6:43 am

A Little bit creepy... Is he going to murder them all?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2021, 7:05 am

It's Tim Burton! So anything is possible… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 29th, 2021, 9:09 am

Trailer:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 29th, 2021, 2:49 pm

Coco II: Day of the Soldado.

Slightly better trailer to sell the movie. Like how colorful it is. I'm warming up to it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 29th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Ben wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 6:11 am
No-one can say Disney isn’t being diverse enough with this one, but I wonder what the complaint will be…there's always something they won’t have got exactly right… :roll:
I am appalled that they are using the cracking of the earth to sell the movie. This is so insensitive to the residents of Victoria, Australia who experienced an earthquake last week. Seeing this trailer will trigger trauma in so many people. Can't believe Disney thinks this is alright. I will be demanding Disney changes this plot device immediately

(Just to be clear that was pure sarcasm - but it's how I feel certain areas on social media behave haha)

Seriously though it looks great, my only gripe is that with this trailer they are hiding the songs - as in this is a musical not just a movie with songs. After one watch I only noticed one moment that is clearly from a musical moment, the stereotypical hands out, head raised and camera swirls moment. I was hoping to hear some moments of the songs - although I imagine the song used is actually from the movie.

And even though I'm excited about the movie and it being a musical, I'm not expecting much from the songs as they are from Miranda. Hamilton left me feeling empty, I haven't managed to finish In The Heights and the songs from Moana were a mixed bag. Fingers crossed this movie has good orchestrations to lift the songs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2021, 4:54 am

Well this did a good job of selling the movie, albeit as Bill says without highlighting that it’s a musical, though that will come later, maybe, with a more musical trailer. This was all about the characters and action — I’m somewhat surprised that they sold it off the back of Moana and Zootopia, rather than Moana and Raya, since this looks more of a mix of those two. I guess they’re going for the action comedy feel in this one, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see another trail that emphasises the epic musical side, referring to Moana and Raya, since this really seems to be more of a mix of those two. I’m liking it so far, even if I’m still getting the heavy My Peoples vibes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 30th, 2021, 11:56 am

Honestly, I'm not really feeling it, too many characters and the stakes seems a little bit low. While I do find Byron's films enjoyable, I think his films tend to be a little bit unremarkable (at least for me). In addition, while I loved the music in Moana, which was more traditional Disney, here it seems that Miranda will take it more to his style (rap, reggaeton, etc..) more In the Heights and Vivo and less "Disney" so IDK... I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt so we'll see...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 3rd, 2021, 10:07 am

Family and the powers they have.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 3rd, 2021, 2:54 pm

I finally watched the trailer, and I think it's looking great. I enjoyed Moana's songs, so I figure I'll like 'em well enough in Encanto when they're introduced.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 4th, 2021, 5:46 am

Ooh, coming to D+ Christmas Eve…! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 5th, 2021, 6:13 am