Disney's Encanto!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Encanto!

Post by gaastra » July 9th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Family with magic powers but teen girl in the family has none and has to live with no powers in a magic family.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Encanto!

Post by Farerb » July 12th, 2020, 11:43 am

I'm looking forward to it since it's directed by Byron Howard and the music will be by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 12th, 2020, 6:01 pm

May I put in a request that the songs be performed by a full lush sounding orchestra? As good as the recent Disney songs are, they really do lack a lot of oomph in the music part. I recently heard an orchestral version of Let It Go and it sounded glorious while the original (when heard as an instrumental) is really lacking in that department. But my complaint isn't just at Disney, many of the new Broadway musicals suffer the same issue.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 9th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Logo:

Pretty plain.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 29th, 2020, 2:38 pm

I wish we could get more news about it. I'm actually more excited for this than for Raya and the Last Dragon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 12th, 2020, 6:46 am

Skyler Shuler wrote:Disney just recently trademarked MIRABEL MADRIGAL, the lead character in Disney’s ENCANTO. Image created by @DSNYNewscast https://t.co/YiuyCA6YkG

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2020, 10:19 am

Isn’t that a Potter spell to create a disco glitterball...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 12th, 2020, 10:40 am

Kind of a girly name for a boy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2020, 12:17 pm

"But this is a girl's name. This is for a little girl"... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 12th, 2020, 3:07 pm

According to Wikipedia:
Mirabel is a female name stemming from the Latin word mirabilis, meaning "wondrous" or "of wondrous beauty". It was used as both a male and female name in the Middle Ages, but is now almost exclusively female.
A madrigal is a secular vocal music composition of the Renaissance (15th–16th c.) and early Baroque (1600–1750) eras.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Aw, no prizes for getting my quote...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Synopsis and teaser:
Encanto tells the tale of an extraordinary family, the Madrigals, who live hidden in the mountains of Colombia, in a magical house, in a vibrant town, in a wondrous, charmed place called an Encanto. The magic of the Encanto has blessed every child in the family with a unique gift from super strength to the power to heal—every child except one, Mirabel. But when she discovers that the magic surrounding the Encanto is in danger, Mirabel decides that she, the only ordinary Madrigal, might just be her exceptional family’s last hope.

The film features all-new songs by Emmy®, GRAMMY® and Tony Award® winner Lin-Manuel Miranda (“Hamilton,” “Moana”) and is directed by Byron Howard (“Zootopia,” “Tangled”) and Jared Bush (co-director “Zootopia”), co-directed by Charise Castro Smith (writer “The Death of Eva Sofia Valdez”) and produced by Clark Spencer and Yvett Merino. Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Encanto opens in theaters November 24, 2021.

So colorful! Love the music. Not sure about the summery yet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2020, 5:45 am

From when this was announced I was getting a kind of My Peoples vibe from this, and the result doesn’t seem to be a million miles away. It’s funny, though, that Disney and Pixar seem to be crossing the streams again (in more ways than one, given the modern meaning!), in that a lot of what’s coming from each studio feels like it would have traditionally come from the other. I mean, Turning Red is totally a modern Disney movie, and Encanto feels more like what Pixar might have done around five years ago. Know what I mean?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » December 12th, 2020, 10:56 am

Pixar doesn't do musicals and Encanto is one so I don't really think that's the case. Maybe Raya, but it still has a female protagonist and Pixar was afraid of them for a long time, which is why I agree with you about Turning Red

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 13th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Now that one thread is back on the rails, (the stupidity has been removed) yes, this does feel like a spiritual sequel to Coco. Think they even said the singing would be a combo of English and Spanish.