AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Encanto!

Post by Daniel » December 31st, 2020, 7:37 pm

Possible new details.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 4th, 2021, 12:44 am

Do you sometimes get the feeling that people are less excited about upcoming movies from WDAS and Pixar?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 4th, 2021, 2:12 am

...As opposed to what? ;)

The Sequel 7, and Cars 2 and Brave breaking the Best Picture string, took the new-toy shine off of Pixar, and WDAS needs to start embracing Life After Frozen (which the new studio boss isn't ready to do), but there's always that return to story when things seem to be at their worst.
Me, I'm hoping they'll dust off "Gigantic" and give it another go. With someone else, though, and without the Kirsten Lopez songs.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 4th, 2021, 2:21 am

Yes, because if there’s one thing that people expected to happen with Cars 2, it was a Best Picture nomination.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 4th, 2021, 3:03 am

Didn't Brave win the Oscar for BAF?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 4th, 2021, 4:11 am

It did.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2021, 4:47 am

Hahahaha.

Okay, so what is the sequel seven? Because I can’t think of a pure streak of seven sequel films that came all in a row if that’s the case...? Even the Cars, Toys, Monsters and Finding films had Ups and Outs spread among them...

(Eric hates Brave so much that he fails to see where it did a lot right, and remains one of Pixar's most entertaining features.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 4th, 2021, 4:52 am

I'm guessing the Sequel 7 are all Pixars' sequels except Toy Story 2.
I also think he meant Best Picture rather than Best Animated Feature as if animated films are nominated constantly.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2021, 5:00 am

But a lot of those sequels did get nominations for BAF and other animated feature awards round the world, including the Globes, Bafta, etc. It's truer to say that Pixar never had a Best Picture string: only Up had broken that barrier, followed by Toy 3 the next year, which was, er, a sequel, so that was more of a blip than a "run" for goodness' sake.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 4th, 2021, 5:20 am

The reason Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated was because the academy extended the nominees from 5 to 10 and Up and Toy Story 3 were the animation representatives (thanks to WALL-E). In 2011 there weren't any animated films "worthy" of a nomination, thus "breaking" it I guess, though I have no idea what Brave has to do with it since it was released in 2012.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 4th, 2021, 5:12 pm

Ben wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 4:47 am
Okay, so what is the sequel seven?
The "Circle 7 sequels", which is too harder to say--
And even harder for most folks to figure out "Why the heck would they do a third Toy Story and sequels to Monsters and Nemo, they must be running out of ideas, that's it for the studio, they hate their fans, they've sold out to Hollywood, just like DreamWorks, and they're never going to make another original story again, etc., etc.?...", which started the Angry Betrayed Fanboy boulder rolling.

(Oh, but Incredibles 2, that was the sequel they wanted to make, that was the one we were waiting for... :lol: )
Farerb wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 5:20 am
The reason Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated was because the academy extended the nominees from 5 to 10 and Up and Toy Story 3 were the animation representatives (thanks to WALL-E). In 2011 there weren't any animated films "worthy" of a nomination, thus "breaking" it I guess, though I have no idea what Brave has to do with it since it was released in 2012.
And Cars 2 was '11. That was the first ABF of "Pixar's not ALLOWED to make movies that don't get nominated!", and we all burned Mater in effigy and put our hopes that Brave would pick up our hopes for a Best Picture nom the next year. :(

(And ironically, the one year we did have a decent fighting chance for Picture in '15 with Inside Out, it wasn't "allowed" because the Golden Globes didn't do it. :roll: )
Last edited by EricJ on January 4th, 2021, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 4th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Eric is really obsessed with this subject for some reason. :? To the point where I could never count how many times he’s brought up Circle 7 as though it’s the source of some massive conspiracy.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 4th, 2021, 5:23 pm

No, I'm still fighting Angry Betrayed Fanboys from '10-'11 in my sleep. :shock:

The trauma never goes away--I find my 00's-animation PTSD still fighting imaginary Angry Betrayed '02-'05 Fanboys every time someone mentions Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, or Chris Sanders.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 4th, 2021, 5:41 pm

Sequels/prequels are basically the lifeblood of so many movies nowadays—animated or not. In my opinion fanboys’ attitudes are closer to those Incredibles lovers than fans who stridently object to any sequel as a betrayal. (There was pretty much an EXPECTATION to see a Frozen sequel.). It’s a different time. Plus fans often just learn to adapt.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!