Disney's Encanto!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's Encanto!

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2021, 5:47 pm

I did actually think there was a mixup with Circle 7 in there, which is so far off the mark as to be, well, inane. C7 was a non-starter before anything even happened.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 4th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Yeah, I think it was just Eisner’s bargaining chip with Steve Jobs. It was never truly intended to be an actual long-term animation studio. (Without long-term, there ARE no animated films! Lol)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2021, 5:59 pm

Well it *was* a chip that could well have been put into play, and almost was, but as soon as Pixar came in to revamp Disney, that got shelved, natch, and it certainly wasn’t anything to do with having an Oscar streak or not.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 4th, 2021, 7:18 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 5:56 pm
Yeah, I think it was just Eisner’s bargaining chip with Steve Jobs. It was never truly intended to be an actual long-term animation studio. (Without long-term, there ARE no animated films! Lol)
It was a "chip" that got as far as actual spec-treatments, which John Lasseter inherited when he got the factory. And due to a dozen legal strings, he had to make them for original-authorship, he just wasn't allowed to use them, and certainly didn't want to in either case. (And good thing, too, judging from rumored looks at Eisner's scripts...)

If we all, ABF's included, finally managed to pick up on this historical point, I wouldn't be so obsessed with it. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 5th, 2021, 1:27 am

Didn't all of this happen more than a decade ago? I think it's time to move on...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2021, 5:14 am

Lasseter was allowed to use whatever he wanted from C7's development. Once Disney had announced sequels to Toys and Monsters then those films did have to be made, but Pixar was already looking to complete a Toys trilogy, as we know, anyway. But I know for a fact that the "Buzz gets recalled" plot was seriously looked at before going with their original daycare scenario.

And you can’t say it’s a "historical point" when you clearly don’t know the facts, or get them right. So...historical point, no. Hysterical point, yes.

Moving on...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 5th, 2021, 8:03 am

Let’s not rush to move on from Circle 7 discussion so fast. Our article here on AV about it is still one of our most linked to to this day! Obviously there’s still a lot of interest, relatively speaking, for a topic this old.

https://animatedviews.com/2012/bob-hilg ... animation/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2021, 10:07 am

Maybe that should carry on in the C7 thread, then? I think I remember we had one of those around here someplace... :)

EDIT...looking back, I found quite a few hijacked topics on C7...most of which we are better off not reopening...! :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 5th, 2021, 11:30 am

I didn’t mean literally here! Just in general, let’s keep people interested so they keep coming to the site! Blatant self promotion!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 5th, 2021, 12:43 pm

I was legit thinking of linking that article yesterday, just to help with all the misinformation. Sad how one innocent question led to all this. If one can't learn and accept anything from what's been said, well... Obsessed was written earlier, I probably would've said fixated. Sad truth is not many fans know about Circle 7 and the ones that do couldn't care less.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by danieltruchsess » January 5th, 2021, 3:58 pm

Farerb wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 12:44 am
Do you sometimes get the feeling that people are less excited about upcoming movies from WDAS and Pixar?
I am really excited about Encanto. I might be biased, though. The music on the teaser was enough to make me look forward to it. I hope they do it right, like Pixar did with Coco. I am not that excited about Raya. I was really excited about Soul. I haven't seen much of Turning Red, but its premise reminds me of other Pixar movies that had a weird or simple premise but ended up blowing me away (wall-e, up, ratatouille). I am not that excited about Lightyear.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 6th, 2021, 3:49 am

That's great to hear. I'm also excited more about Encanto mainly because it's a musical.
We'll see about the others, Raya so far gives me Big Hero 6 vibes and I'm not sure what I feel about that. Luca and Turning Red sounds unique. Lightyear feels pointless tbh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 6th, 2021, 3:24 pm

First look at the main characters from a toy leak:

Gives you an idea of how they will look. Think it shows promise. I like the color of their dresses and the pattern on Mirabel's. (the one wearing glasses)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 6th, 2021, 4:31 pm

Getting an Elena of Avalor vibe here.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Yeah...that looks...underwhelming...? I can see this going the "freebie" D+ route...