AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Raya And The Last Dragon

Post by Farerb » January 26th, 2021, 9:42 am

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 26th, 2021, 11:33 am

Why does it look like she’s tip-toeing?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 26th, 2021, 12:59 pm

I'm sorry that I'm more on the negative side here, but I didn't care for the trailer. Too much Big Hero 6 vibes (which btw isn't it weird that suddenly we get a lot of "finally an action movie from Disney" comments? Did people forget about Big Hero 6? Or Atlantis or Treasure Planet?). I know I know that Disney shouldn't be obligated to make one kind of film, but IDK I don't like that whole "marvelisation" going on here (same thing with the Mulan remake).

Some things didn't sit right with me like that con baby, I'm sorry but she just takes me out of it, she doesn't fit, maybe they'll handle herbetter in the film itself, but so far it's just yikes from me, especially this part:
I'm not thrilled about the other characters as well except Raya Tuk Tuk and Namari.

I don't actually think the film will be bad, but I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I was for previous films. We'll see...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Seeing that out of context makes me think of Chucky! It's an interesting angle. Liked what I saw for the most part. Not feeling Sisu. The voice and the way she acts. Feels like she's trying to be Genie. Nice to see another female villain! Been a while for Disney, I want to say the last was Zootopia.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 26th, 2021, 2:17 pm

The last was Moana, which was also the last WDAS that had a villain in general.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2021, 2:20 pm

For me it’s a lack of buildup.

It’s not that long ago, it seems, that we learned about this at all, and now suddenly it’s here in little more than a month? Where’s the drip-drip of anticipation, early footage, marketing on other releases, succession of posters and character focuses, etc, that we usually get to make us all excited and spread the word past the core Disney faithful?

This one just seems so factory-conveyor-belt-made that, without much warning, it’ll plop out in March to fill the next gap, and then be forgotten by summer when whatever next cookie-cutter version comes along to take its place.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 26th, 2021, 2:26 pm

I have a friend who told me that this reminds him the way Disney/Pixar handled The Good Dinosaur. Meaning he thinks that Disney probably did a rush job to fix whatever issues were with the previous version of the film, the one that different directors were working on, and that Disney doesn't believe in it and probably decided to not invest money in marketing. It's just his guess though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2021, 2:32 pm

I’d go with that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by danieltruchsess » January 26th, 2021, 5:27 pm

I just watched the trailer, and it doesn't quite work for me. It looks like an epic adventure, but the dialog seems more like a buddy comedy. I didn't like the dragon either. In the same trailer Sisu talks like a teenager (about free riding in a school group project), but then we see her be more dragon like and spit ice (or cold fire?), and then go back to talking about a power she didn't know she had and how digestion would take less time. I will see it, but I am not as excited as I thought I would be when it was first announced. I really hope they do better with Encanto.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 26th, 2021, 10:51 pm

Farerb wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 12:59 pm
isn't it weird that suddenly we get a lot of "finally an action movie from Disney" comments? Did people forget about Big Hero 6? Or Atlantis or Treasure Planet?).
Answer: Yes.
(Except for the fans who are now boosting Treasure Planet on disc, hoping for another "misunderstood" video-era Hercules. And still want that abandoned sequel.)
The last was Moana, which was also the last WDAS that had a villain in general.
It did?...WHO?? :shock:
Aren't you confusing Moana with the "Only Disney movie without a villain?" discussions?

(And to say Zootopia didn't have one is a bit sheepish...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 26th, 2021, 11:58 pm

Moana actually had two - Tamatoa and Te Kā. Yes Te Kā turned out to be good, but I'm willing to bet that's going to be the same case with Namaari.

And I didn't say that Zootopia didn't have one, but Moana came out after Zootopia.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 27th, 2021, 1:22 pm

You are correct on both counts. I'm also thinking Namaari will turn good. Hopefully it feels organic.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2021, 3:47 pm

Moana didn’t really have any "villains" per se, that actually affected or hindered her journey continuously throughout. If there was anyone, it was Maui, who she successfully turned by the end. She gets the title, but he got the arc, starting as villain and ending as hero.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 27th, 2021, 3:51 pm

But you can say that about all the new Disney films and Pixar films. The antagonist is the opposing character which usually is the the other person in the duo the films are about.