AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Raya And The Last Dragon

Post by gaastra » July 24th, 2020, 7:36 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Raya and the dragon

Post by Bill1978 » July 24th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Love this first image. Is this a a musical or a non-musical?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Raya and the dragon

Post by Daniel » July 24th, 2020, 8:11 pm

The latter.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Raya And The Last Dragon

Post by Farerb » August 30th, 2020, 1:10 am

It's going to be a mess just like Frozen II:
Q: Why the change of Cassie Steele in Raya?

Skyler Shuler: Heard it was Jennifer Lee who changed up the project. Don't know why.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/WjO9DoQ.jpg

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 30th, 2020, 1:14 am

For anyone who wasn't following, there was an article released about Raya:

Get a first look at Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon starring Kelly Marie Tran
https://ew.com/movies/raya-last-dragon- ... arie-tran/

As you can read from the article the directors and the main actress were replaced.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 30th, 2020, 2:25 am

I'm getting the clear Jennifer Lee vibes that they're going into these new post-Frozen projects with a sense of "who they want the heroine to BE" rather than "what story do they want to TELL".
And...that was the big, big problem with Moana, if that's what they're using as template.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 30th, 2020, 3:02 am

It’s pretty apparent the recasting is being done for the same reason The Simps is: the original actress was considered “too white” for the role in the current climate we are in. That’s my guess at least, and may or may not be “fair” given the amazing work the voice cast of Avatar: The Last Airbender did with a cast that was largely multicultural instead of everyone “officially” matching (assuming I’m making sense here).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 30th, 2020, 3:23 am

So glad you said that Dacey cause I was feeling really bad that when I saw the announcement of the change in voice actor my first thought was - 'I guess Cassie's name wasn't 'Asian' enough for advertistments'. When the project was first announced I looked up Cassie on Wikipedia cause I thought Disney may have shot themselves in the foot by casting a non-Asian actor for the role (based solely on her name) but Wiki says she is of Filipino decent on her mum's side. That search was also why I asked originally if it was a musical cause it states she is a singer.

I know anime does the voicing after the animation (usually) but is it rare for Disney to replace a voice actor this late in production? Or is it easier in computer animation to match lips to new voices etc? Or is this stage of production not considered late?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 30th, 2020, 4:31 am

What cracks me up is when everyone applauds "colorblind" casting, but that it is then frowned upon when that same practice is used in reverse.

In terms of the animation, however far along it is (and I’d imagine it’s either not quite entered animation yet, or has only just begun: whichever way, it won’t be far along in yet), they will initially just get Tran to match what has been done, like in an ADR fashion, and only make minor amendments to lipsync if and where needed. But with over six months until release — and more with the likelihood that it will be pushed back to summer anyway — they will still be animating, so it’s not going to impact anything too much at this point.

The directors, on the other hand, is a strange one, since most of their work is done in the planning and recording stages. I’m betting that, although we’re only learning about that change now, it’s been in the works for a while...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 20th, 2020, 6:28 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 20th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Check out the poster for Raya and the Last Dragon, and tune in to @GMA tomorrow to watch the brand-new trailer. #DisneyRaya https://t.co/sY979OQnCm
https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/sta ... 23488?s=19

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 20th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Many little details, look at the wonderful touches on her sword! Two-headed eel, maybe? Can't wait for the trailer!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2020, 4:39 pm

When it inevitably gets delayed and then goes to Disney+, will they confuse it with Mulan and charge $30...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 20th, 2020, 11:48 pm

Kelly Marie Tran coming to you from Walt Disney Animation Studios getting us ready for the brand-new trailer for "Raya and the Last Dragon," debuting TOMORROW on Good Morning America!
https://www.facebook.com/59306617060/po ... 376462061/
Last edited by Farerb on October 20th, 2020, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 20th, 2020, 11:49 pm