Pixar's Luca

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Pixar's Luca

Post by Daniel » June 9th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Yep, you know it.

Two more clips: (extensions of scenes we've already seen)

Tex Avery always comes to mind when I hear "Largo al factotum"! Wonder if Alberto is lying about his dad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 12th, 2021, 6:19 pm

This week started the Happy Meal promotion at McDonald's: (Goes until July 5th)

Cute, but doesn't give me the gotta collect itch, which is good in a way. The cat is my favorite!

Snippet of the Japanese end credit song: (no spoilers, brief bit with the director)

Lovely! Perfect and so soothing. Check out the Luca and Castle of Cagliostro poster behind Enrico! There's also a Totoro plushie. Cute. I have a small gem stone of him.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 12th, 2021, 6:43 pm

Over here they had several books on display at the supermarket: “only in theaters!”

Yeah, about that...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 14th, 2021, 3:16 pm

The National Watermelon Promotion Board has launched a watermelon-based marketing campaign. There's new promo art, sweepstakes and a bunch of watermelon-based recipes. Some look real tasty! Definitely want to try making a few, such as the watermelon pizza and chia parfaits. They make it look easy enough! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 18th, 2021, 11:54 am

Luca is now available on Disney+. Currently 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. Soundtrack also comes out today.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2021, 2:18 pm

No CD again, though. Pooh. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 18th, 2021, 5:23 pm

I watched Luca last night. Probably the first time I have watched a Pixar movie on the first day of its release and therefore was not spoiled on any aspect of the story.

I felt the movie started a little bit slow and I was bracing myself for a male version of The Little Mermaid but thankfully that concern disappeared after about 10 minutes. It was super sweet and cute and I really enjoyed it. There were a couple of moments where I genuinely laughed out loud And unlike Soul, I felt Luca had the classic Pixar emotional moment. My only complaint is that I felt the resolution was a little too quick, but the rest of the movie was so good that I can easily look over it.

I really liked the 'cartoon' approach to the overall design and was happy that the movie was content being seen as being animated. Lately, I feel many of the computer animated films from the big companies have been trying to show us how real they can be. I was also pleased to read, after watching the movie, that the design was inspired partly by the work of Miyazaki as while watching I felt moments of Studio Ghibli design - especially in the end credits. Speaking of which, there is an little scene at the end of the movie.

And from what I can tell John Ratzenberger once again does not appear in a Pixar movie via a voice. So that's now 2 movies in a row h hasn't appeared and Luca is the 2nd Pixar movie to go straight to Disney+ hmm...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2021, 8:15 pm

Maybe he'll pop up in Luck…? ;)

Glad you enjoyed it; we were going to run it tonight but ended up finally catching up on Frozen II and, bizarrely, the shoot 'em up Nobody, which made for an interesting double bill…!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 19th, 2021, 10:45 pm

We just watched Luca, and all enjoyed it. We chomped on pizza and scones as we watched, and it was a great prelude to Father's Day.

Like Bill, I found it a little slow at first, and way too reminiscent of The Little Mermaid, as well as Finding Nemo. But then it found its own groove, and proved to be a lovely picture. It made me smile, I got teary eyed, and yes - laughed out loud a few times. It's goals were modest, and it isn't a challenger for "Pixar's best," but it is very good. Nice colour and character design, too. I will certainly enjoy seeing it again sometime.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » June 19th, 2021, 10:56 pm

It just goes to show that sometimes some of the best stories are the simplest ones. I actually enjoyed and found it refreshing that it didn't have the usual Pixar pretentiousness.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 19th, 2021, 11:20 pm

I love Pixar pretentiousness, but you are right!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 20th, 2021, 4:52 am

Oh, I wouldn’t call it pretentiousness, but perhaps an ambitiousness. I don’t think they set out to preach, but they do push themselves and set out to reach.

Still, it’s nice every now and then just to have some simple fun, like A Bug's Life, The Good Dinosaur or even Brave. We'll probably run Luca tomorrow evening now, after getting Frozen II out of the way on Friday. I’m glad to hear it’s as sweet and lovely as it’s looked from the first peeks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 20th, 2021, 2:48 pm

I absolutely loved Luca. Yes, very slow start but really picks up. I think part of the reason is that there's no real world building in the sea world. We learn essentially nothing about who they are and what they do. Aside from Luca, who is a fish "sheep" herder. We don't get much insight into why they're so anti-land. Later on yes, but seems like nothing especially with the grandma character. (who's pretty cool, I might add) Felt a little on the short side with some plot aspects that were just glossed over.

Loved how low stakes and a slice of childhood life it was. The simplicity is what made it so charming. One of my favorite parts were the dream sequences. Ethereally lovely, really added a sense of innocence and naivety to Luca's character. Perfectly cast voices. Loved Machiavelli! (the cat) Yes, so many genuine hilarious parts, like the parents trying to get kids wet. I also liked the villain. A breath of fresh air that he wasn't a twist or had any redeeming features. He was just a jerk from beginning to end and got his comeuppance. The ending was really touching, especially Alberto's line. Liked the bond he formed with Giulia's father.

Colors really popped off the screen. The score was amazing and the songs were awesome. Always love when they have authentic vintage songs. The end credit one was perfect. The film really evokes the wonder and whimsy of childhood. Felt like a literal moving painting or storybook. A real feel good movie. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 20th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Ben wrote:
June 20th, 2021, 4:52 am
Oh, I wouldn’t call it pretentiousness, but perhaps an ambitiousness. I don’t think they set out to preach, but they do push themselves and set out to reach.

Still, it’s nice every now and then just to have some simple fun, like A Bug's Life, The Good Dinosaur or even Brave.
Well, A Bug's Life, anyway.
Which was my defense of Onward, over the pretentious pushing at something that Soul tried to do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 20th, 2021, 4:57 pm

And lucas only theatre screening in america to have it count for oscars---Did great! Oops. Looks like disney flushed alot of money down the drain putting it on plus and not theatres!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 44535a7da7
In a kind of cruel joke, Walt Disney released Luca in a single theater, their El Capitan auditorium, and nabbed the biggest per-theater average in ages. The Pixar charmer, about two young sea creatures who hang out in a costal Italian fishing village, earned around $80,000 in its first and only weekend of domestic theatrical play.
The top seven per-theater averages are all Disney toons playing early at the El Capitan and/or elsewhere, from The Lion King (a $793k per-theater average in two theaters in 1994) to Frozen ($243k from the El Capitan in 2013). Lucas, from before we expected Pixar to consistently offer game-changing masterpieces that dissected life’s biggest existential questions while making us weep in our theater seats, earned $5 million in 11 overseas territories. Disney claims Seeing Red will go globally to theaters next year, so hopefully this “send Pixar to Disney+” thing is a “desperate measures for desperate times” choice. If true, then the “How does day and date streaming and theatrical affect box office” debates may be a moot point once Disney and Warner Bros. return to business as usual (on a shortened window) next year.

Yup disney messed up.