Lupin The 3rd CG Film Coming to American Theatres!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Lupin The 3rd CG Film Coming to American Theatres!

Post by gaastra » September 28th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Wow so one new movie is coming to the movies next month. Neat thing is they brought back some of the classic american voice artists for the english dub!

A lupin film getting a big screen release in america that's not the studio ghibili film! Crazy!

Coming October 18 to theatres.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Lupin The 3rd CG Film Coming to American Theatres!

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2020, 4:20 am

This still looks awesome. I’m in for the Blu-ray!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Coming to Blu-ray from Shout! on Jan 12, after a December digital release. Steelbook and regular flavors with booklet and original Japanese and English dubs!

Along with the infinitely entertaining Gambit (check it out!) from Kino, this is my first buy for 2021!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 13th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Awesome! Here's a look at the Blu and SteelBook covers:

If you pre-order from Shout Factory you'll receive an exclusive lithograph. Pretty sweet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Here’s one where I might have gone for the steel, but it’s pretty underwhelming, for me at least. Too cluttered, and with characters of all sizes and perspectives all over the place (yeah, I know it’s based off a poster). And what the heck is going on with Lupin from his tie-clip down? Still, loving the Marlon Brando lookielike at the top! ;)

Hopefully the standard Blu will get a slipcover. That’ll be my bag, baby! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 13th, 2020, 7:02 pm

gaastra wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 9:23 pm
A lupin film getting a big screen release in america that's not the studio ghibili film! Crazy!
A current anime film that's not a DBZ Funimation/Fathom release? Crazy, but not unexpected!
(Usually we get the core-series, or the current artsies like "Your Name".)

The quick rush to Blu makes the theatrical release more "billboard" to promote it and hope for a Best Animated slot, but I'd rather have a shot at seeing them on the bigscreen anyway.
That's how I first saw Castle of Cagliostro, back in the Streamline Pictures days...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 13th, 2020, 11:06 pm

I love the Steelbook image at first glance, but it is really busy, and the foreshortening on Lupin's leg is just weird. Not wrong, necessarily, but weird. The standard disc will defintitely have a slip, as all GKIDs titles do initialy. Shout Factory guarantees slips for three months after release, then while supplies last.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 15th, 2020, 3:34 pm

TV spot. Shows more of the comedy parts.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 15th, 2020, 4:29 pm

"You are the renowned Lupin the 3rd after all" Wowie does that sound like Veronica Taylor! Checked and unfortunately she's not listed. Ah well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 15th, 2020, 10:55 pm

Fathom events releasing it also for two days.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/lupin-iii

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 17th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Been almost a year since my last Fathom Events viewing. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 23rd, 2020, 6:20 pm

Box office numbers are out for lupin in america and they are slow over our hero and others. Virus and closed movies i'm sure didn't help.

Still with all that it did make $126,703 in america. Didn't make the top 5 at all i'm sorry to say.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/r ... a_table_26

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 3rd, 2021, 10:30 am

Meant to pop in and say I saw a digital version of this last week, in the original Japanese, and liked it a LOT. I can’t quite make that a "loved it", but I very nearly did. For anyone that liked Spielberg/Jackson's Adventures Of Tintin, this is right up that same alley, from the style of the animation to the tone and story.

In truth, the animation itself is more wow and sparkly due to the terrific rendering, light and textures, that show off various cloth and hair simulations wonderfully, though the character work is no slouch, being as good as Blue Sky or Illumination picture if not *quite* up there with top tier Disney or Pixar. But it’s totally above DTV fare and gives most of the big studios a run for their money.

If I had a gripe, it’s a small one in that the very jazzy theme, very much in the Giacchino-Incredibles style, is repeated over a couple of action sequences, where tailored music would have been better in telling the story, though that the theme is so fun can’t really be held against it.

But I’ve now ordered the Blu-ray and will watch the English dub when that arrives, which may well enhance my enjoyment even more, as I can just enjoy things without having to "read the movie", and have a perhaps more, er, "nuanced" performance instead of the rather harsh sounding Japanese track, where often with these things, they can sound pretty forceful even reciting delicate lines, so I’ve a feeling the dub will be more fun, and I like that they use returning voices for those characters.

So, all in all, it’s a recommendation from me, especially if you liked the Tintin movie. Though it’s not motion captured, as far as I know, there’s more than a few similarities, and it largely plays out the same kind of way. Indeed, one or two characters might very well fit in each other’s movies in terms of some of the designs and 3D renderings.

Oh, yeah...and I went for the steelbook in the end, after seeing one a bit more "up close" and finding it more representative of the movie overall than the just Lupin's face version, plus having a steel is perhaps more in keeping with the diary featured in the film itself.

Big fun, and a welcome difference from the likes of the turgid Tenet that we also watched in the last few days, and was awful...latot tihs, in fact! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 25th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Lupin III Part VI confirmed for this fall:

Oooh!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 25th, 2021, 10:58 pm

And I already have hundreds of episodes and movies to watch!