Disney Pixar's Turning Red

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Disney Pixar's Turning Red

Post by Dacey » July 14th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Yeah I also thought the title was pretty apparent in referring to that. ;)

And they couldn't call it "Turning Orange" as the color orange has for the time being been tainted by a certain political figure over here in the states. ;) Alright. I'll stop.

I do think--and this might be a bold claim--that Disney has actually taken the mantle from Pixar as "king" of computer animation--as far as animation is concerned at least. That's not a shot at Pixar, of course. But I feel like with Big Hero 6, Frozen II and what I've seen of Raya, Disney is doing more consistent "wowing" these days visually.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 14th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Daniel wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 1:32 pm
Turning Red - as in turning into a red panda! ;)
Or an orange one. ;)

Dacey, Raya is awesome. FII, er, not so much.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 14th, 2021, 4:39 pm

And Big Hero 6, not so much.
When saying that F2 is "pleasant enough" and "not as obnoxious as the original" actually makes it one of the better Disney movies since 2015...that's not good.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 14th, 2021, 4:42 pm

FII is a confused total mess of a movie that makes Wonder Woman 1984 look coherent!

And, okay, what’s wrong with Big Hero 6, except that it wasn’t what you wanted it to be?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 15th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Ben wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 4:42 pm
And, okay, what’s wrong with Big Hero 6, except that it wasn’t what you wanted it to be?
I remember seeing Stan Lee at a comic market, just after Roger Corman bought Marvel, bragging about all the film production he wanted New World to get into, fresh off the Dolph Lundgren "Punisher":
He wanted a TV series for X-woman Dazzler, a stage musical for Captain America ("He's been retired since the war, and now they want him back!"), and he seemed most enthusiastic about his idea for an Ant-Man movie--It wouldn't be Dr. Pym and Janet Van Dyne, but fresh off the hijinks of "Innerspace", it would be a comedy about a scientist who developed shrinking technology: "The only way he can cross the street is hitching a ride on somebody's pants cuff! :D "

You can imagine the audience's reaction to the ideas (basically " :shock: "), but the latter is...pretty much what Lasseter did with Big Hero 6:
Even if they couldn't go the Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse route of saying "Just because we're not MCU doesn't mean we're not still Marvel!" (ie. Fox and MCU restrictions kept them from saying that Silver Samurai and Iron Man had formed the team for SHIELD), it would have been nice if he'd kept even, y'know, a LITTLE of the comic's original concept that the characters resembled famous Japanese pop-culture icons? And then the whole San Fransokyo setting would actually make contextual sense? It's animation, was John worried we WOULDN'T BELIEVE Fred could turn into a real giant lizard?? (And no, he doesn't have to use the M-word if Fox won't let him.)
Like, even if Honey isn't a little girl, and is now a nerdy grownup Latina, how about giving her a nerdy passion for some Sailor Moon style TV anime, and have her try to fan-copy the poses in action? That would at least fall within the ballpark of the comic's character, and one step toward justifying why he even bothered making it.

And that's leaving aside the whole villain plot stolen wholesale from Pixar's Up, which no doubt disappointed a lot of fans cosplaying as Yokai for the Halloween before the movie came out.
...Lord knows we've already got enough Scooby-Doo movies from Warner.

(And ftr: Who asked the question, anyway?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 15th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Okay, so it’s not the comic, but BH6 rules.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 16th, 2021, 1:41 am

Just saw the trailer, and... I am amazingly underwhelmed. The only thing that interests me is its Canadian setting.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2021, 2:58 am

…which totally passed me by! Did not realise that!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 16th, 2021, 8:59 am

The film takes place in Toronto, the hometown of the director. It's big news here. There are glimpses of familiar landmarks, and a few maple leaves.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 17th, 2021, 9:48 am

New Trailer:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 17th, 2021, 10:07 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2021, 4:54 am

Michael J Fox says hi. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 18th, 2021, 3:34 pm

"It's Gonna Be Me Mei!" Clever! Like how they followed up Backstreet Boys from the teaser with *NSync! Battle of the boy bands reignites! ;)

Looks adorable! Different, quirky, silly fun! So cartoony. The palette is just so pleasing! Incredibly funny too. Old school Tamagotchi! That takes me back.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 7th, 2022, 4:51 pm

Source wrote:Disney and Pixar’s #TurningRed will stream exclusively on #DisneyPlus beginning March 11.
Déjà vu. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2022, 6:20 pm

Disney+.

Where new Pixar movies go to die… :(