Disney Pixar's Turning Red

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney Pixar's Turning Red

Post by gaastra » January 19th, 2022, 2:12 pm

Nice to see a direct to video film get a art book.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 19th, 2022, 2:59 pm

gaastra wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 2:12 pm
Nice to see a direct to video film get a art book.
Are you aware that Turning Red is not going to be a "direct to video" film in many territories and that there are "direct to video" films that were nominated for Best Picture and that they even won like Roma?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 19th, 2022, 3:14 pm

Soul won animated film last year and it was a direct to video film also.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 19th, 2022, 3:31 pm

Well, no, these were theatrical films that got diverted to streaming. They were not produced as DTV projects, like the Lady And The Tramp hybrid. They just got much faster home premieres than Encanto…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 19th, 2022, 5:14 pm

Don't give a care if it was planned for theatres. So was gijoe the movie 1987. No theatre release in a country means not a theatre movie in that country.

So direct to video/ tv movie. Pixar themselves called it a direct to video film in that tweet rant they did.

Give it a limited release and at least then you can count it. (heck disney did that with those tinkerbell films giving them a limited release to count for awards. None got any however. Luca at least got a LA showing if nothing else.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 19th, 2022, 7:48 pm

Well, regardless of how you choose to define the film's release, that "Art of" book was designed, written, and laid out - and even sent to the printer - well before it switched from a theatrical release to streaming.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 20th, 2022, 8:31 am

gaastra wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 5:14 pm
(heck disney did that with those tinkerbell films giving them a limited release to count for awards. None got any however. Luca at least got a LA showing if nothing else.)
Turning Red will probably get the same limited screenings in LA and probably other places, they need them in order for the movie to be eligible for the awards.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 20th, 2022, 9:20 am

They delayed that rule last year. Anyone know if that rule is still paused?

If it is it has no trouble getting a nod.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 21st, 2022, 1:55 pm

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235076701/
Many wonder whether Pixar animators are seeing red over the Jan. 7 announcement. According to several sources with close ties to Pixar, that’s not the case. Disappointment, not outrage, is a more apt description. “Everyone is really bummed, but most of us get it. Families just aren’t going to the movies,” says one person at Pixar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2022, 4:45 pm

Added this to the front page earlier today! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 21st, 2022, 4:50 pm

Going to redo this as i felt i was too grouchy before. But yes some folks at pixar are fine with it. There has been some that have said this in interviews. But while some are fine others are not as 3 or 4 more have went to twitter and ranted over this. So both sides have spoken! Some insiders also have reported some in pixar was upset over encanto and raya getting theatre releases but not pixar so not everyone at pixar is happy. No offence to the "one guy at pixar" in that story. 4 others have said otherwise on twitter.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 22nd, 2022, 8:29 am

No doubt there are mixed reactions, as is always the case. It's a sucky situation, and I don't blame anyone for their feelings. And it certainly does not feel fair to have al the recent Pixar films go to streaming, when Encanto got its chance in theatres.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2022, 8:51 am

As I say, though, I *very* much doubt Lightyear will follow a similar fate. Especially since it has an above the line star in the lead, which is always a consideration (as they will have recorded that in the knowledge it was for a cinema release), that those other films have so far not had.

Yes, it theoretically could go to streaming, or even more likely Premier(e) Access, but it’s going to be harder for Disney to make a deal with Ryan Gosling on that than it would have been for the three other films. Soul aside, I think the other two could have benefited from Premier(e) Access, but then again are either of them truly easy sells in that way? No.

As "unfair" as it may seem, there are rhymes and reasons…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 22nd, 2022, 11:55 am

I will say one of the biggest complaints i heard wasn't even from pixar. On the john campea show he takes emails and responses for the topics. A theatre owner responded to this story on his show. He said this.

Disney promised a theatre release to them. Sent displays to promote it. (ours had a giant red display right at the front) posters and popcorn buckets and cups. The chains used time to play the trailers for the film.

Then right before release bob said "just kidding" and yanked it without warning. Now they have all these displays for a disney plus film and cups and buckets they now have to throw away. Money lost and they felt used for promoting a app film and will get no money from the film they promoted.

And disney did it to them twice in a roll!

Ouch!

Also if lightyear does go to theatres and you are a theatre owner would you trust disney a third time after screwing you two times in a roll with extra promotion for it? If they wanted to send you big displays, would you take it again and risk promoting a film you may not even get or use that space for another movie you know won't get yanked?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 22nd, 2022, 2:23 pm

I don't understand why Pixar's so upset about it--
Just look at Sony, they staked the studio on thinking they could rescue the Sony Animation label on one more Hotel Transylvania, with or without Adam Sandler. Given Sony's mild, humble, self-effacing restraint, I'm sure that didn't get any lobby promotion early on.

Apart from the Disney dual-releases, I'm hard pressed to think of a third-party animated that DID go to theaters in the last two years.