Disney Pixar's Turning Red

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney Pixar's Turning Red

Post by gaastra » January 22nd, 2022, 9:22 pm

Not everyone at pixar is upset. Some are fine with it. They had rants and others went "oh well".

Correct with sony. Ironic mitchells vs the machines is getting a theatre release now just in time for oscar season. Rumble got yanked also. Scoob got a theatre release a year later and ironic did well long after it was on dvd. It's getting a scoob 2 for theatres. Spongebob 3 was only released in canada but i guess did ok by nick's point of view as they are making a theatre spongebob 4 with sandy in the lead.

As for animated full theatres and not same day not as many as you think.

Off the top of my head (i'm sure i'm missing some)

Encanto
belle
my hero 3
Spongebob 3 (canada)
sing 2 (but even with it doing well still went vod rent a week early)
monster family 2 (didn't even know there was a monster family 2. Was there any ads for this movie at all on tv? Also surprised they made a part 2.)
Ron's gone wrong (bombed)
Spirit untamed

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 23rd, 2022, 5:10 am

Ron's Gone Wrong is a *bit* of a special case, though, since it was a leftover from Fox's deal with Locksmith Animation (which is financed by Elisabeth Murdoch, whose Dad obviously owned Fox before he sold it to Bob Iger). As with LucasFilm's Strange Magic, when it got Fox and turned it into 20th Century, Disney was still obliged to give Ron a theatrical release and, to be fair, they gave it a half-decent bit of promotion, if nowhere near the level of Encanto. But, yeah, Ron was something of a dump, to fulfill a contractual obligation, while the rest of Locksmith's slate was let go and they have moved their deal to Warner Bros.

I’m still gobsmacked by Sing 2's early move to streaming. I could understand maybe the end of January, but to do that so early in its run and while it was still doing so well given the circumstances, I don’t feel they have been too fair to exhibitors and honoured the already truncated 45 day window they negotiated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2022, 4:15 pm

French book cover:

Pretty cool artwork!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 9th, 2022, 4:00 pm

Japanese trailer with a lot of new footage: (spoiler warning, naturally)

Pizza Planet truck spotting! The Japanese versions are always more emotional, and it showed a lot more of the culture. Looks really sweet. The scene where she's trying to separate herself looks stunning.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 22nd, 2022, 4:53 pm

Some concept art:

Love Mei's room(s)! Pikachu, Squirtle and Psyduck! :D Would be awesome if they're in the final film. Been thinking for the longest time there's definitely some Pokémon inspiration.

I also spy a Hello Kitty plush and boom box and a Maneki-neko! A good luck kitty figurine. I have a bunch of those around. Kawaii!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 22nd, 2022, 9:27 pm

Getting great early reviews.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 25th, 2022, 3:44 pm

The boy band from the film, 4*Town, have launched a real website. Love the creative marketing!

Lyric video of their song "Nobody Like U":

Definitely feels like it was plucked from the early 2000s. Pretty catchy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 28th, 2022, 4:03 pm

International poster:

The bunny from Burrow and hey there's Sox! ;)

Japanese spot with their version of "Nobody Like U":

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 1st, 2022, 2:19 pm

The El Capitan Theatre wrote:O-M-G! Disney and Pixar’s #TurningRed will have a limited one-week engagement at the El Capitan Theatre starting March 11! 🐼❤️ Keep an eye on social for on sale information.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2022, 8:05 pm

Gotta get their one-week Oscar qualifying LA screenings in, right?

And don’t think we haven’t noticed the new avatar Dan!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 3rd, 2022, 10:18 pm

Disney heard the complaints. AMC will be showing turning red for a series of showings in theaters! ---In new york only! Disney tells the rest of the country to jump in a lake! Yes this is the "play in some theatres to count for oscars next year" play they did for tinkerbell.

So it does count as a theatre film now. Shame only new york gets to go see it.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/turn ... ire-25/all

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 4th, 2022, 2:11 am

What I find really interesting is that while I know the pandemic is still in action, most countries are 'back to normal' with cinemas but companies like Disney are picking and choosing which movies are being treated like it's still a severe pandemic. I think it would be best for them to start adopting the approach of the studios that are putting movies in cinemas for 45 days (or whatever) and then dumping on a streaming service. I imagine Disney was informed that there is a strong chance next year's Oscars will be back to normal for eligibility, so have to dump Turning Red into cinemas for awards.

The upside (and selfish part) of this is it does make it easier for me to see a Pixar movie that is released when work keeps me busy that travelling 100kms to watch a movie is sometimes a bit too time consuming.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » March 4th, 2022, 4:07 am

100kms?!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 4th, 2022, 7:23 am

The joys of living in rural Australia - you have to travel long distances to see a movie so it had better be worth it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2022, 10:20 am

That’s about an hour's drive, right? We used to have to drive about 40 minutes to our nearest decent cinema, before the old one in town got a refurb, and so often we came out thinking the time to get there wasn’t worth the movie quality! ;)