AV Forum Member

Re: Disney Pixar's Lightyear

Post by Daniel » July 19th, 2022, 9:37 pm

Yeah, standard 45 day window.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2022, 3:51 am

Which still feels too quick! We were all only just debating the movie's release like a week ago!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 25th, 2022, 3:50 pm

Coming to home video September 13:

DELETED SCENES
Deleted Scenes Introduction – Director Angus MacLane introduces six scenes that are all drawn, set to music, timed, and voiced but are not included in the final version of this amazing film – which took five and a half years to make!
The Dump – In one of Lightyear‘s original opening scenes, we explore Proxima B, with its carnivorous plants, sulfur pits, weird bugs, hot climate, and lack of coffee! A familiar Space Ranger volunteers to risk all in an effort to return to Earth.
Polly – Buzz relives childhood memories when he visits an aeronautic museum in which his father is memorialized. There, he finds Polly, his dad’s robot companion bird, who possesses a very revealing recorded message meant for Buzz!
Meet Izzy – After young Izzy and her family (including her brother Maurice) move in next door to Buzz, the adorable, talkative girl bursts into Buzz’s home, warms up to Sox and asks Buzz a lot of questions.
Up in the Lair – After his spacecraft crash-lands and he winds up in the bunker of fledgling Space Rangers, Buzz is introduced to cheesy snacks and a character whose role was cut due to time. He also receives shocking information about his father.
Tilted Ship – Star Command Space Rangers of the 56th Airborne Alpha Quadrant meet Buzz and the Space Ranger students. Buzz is given a truth serum so he’ll expose whatever he knows about his father’s connection to the aliens who have taken over Proxima B.
Fathership – Buzz wakes up in what he thinks is his childhood home, where he meets his father, who was a time travel pilot, just as he is. But it turns out he’s on the mothership of the aliens who are destroying Proxima B – and hope to vanquish Buzz as well!

FEATURETTES
Building the World of Lightyear – Visits to the Johnson Space Center in Houston and a very familiar cinematic archive gave the filmmakers inspiration as they embarked on the exciting journey of creating Lightyear’s breathtaking production design.
The Zap Patrol – Meet the actors who gave voice to Izzy, Mo, and Darby, the untrained, unprepared rangers who join Buzz on the adventure of a lifetime. While the misfits may not seem ideal for the mission, their unlikely friendship helps see them through challenging times.
Toyetic – Learn why Lightyear is one of the most “toyetic” films ever. Join director Angus MacLane and others on the meticulous, fun process of creating toy models for spaceships and other production elements that led to the film’s richly textured animation.

AUDIO COMMENTARY
Lightyear Filmmaker Commentary – Join director Angus MacLane, writer Jason Headley, and director of photography Jeremy Lasky as they provide insight into the making of this remarkable animated feature while you watch it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 25th, 2022, 4:12 pm

The completist in me says that I got Encanto, so… ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 26th, 2022, 1:09 am

You and Encanto. (I liked it a lot, but I still haven't bought it - though I plan to.)

Lightyear also gets a Steelbook.
Lightyear Steelie.jpg
Lightyear Steelie.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
I'll be trying this movie out on D+ first before I decide whether to bother with a purchase.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 26th, 2022, 2:59 am

Another look:

Blah.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2022, 4:45 am

Blah indeed. Interesting that The Diz has done away with their "swishy" lines cover branding on the regular Blu-ray and actually looks more like a 20th Century design. I think I probably prefer the regular 4K art, where at least Buzz looks a little more like, well, Buzz. I’d kind of go for a steel on a title like this (which is also unlikely to get a sequel), but it’s just so lacking any hint of "pop" in the grey coloring. I mean, even the smoke on the Blu-ray has a nice golden hue. All I keep thinking, though, when I see all the variants, is that someone as chubby as that would never be accepted into a space program!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 4th, 2022, 2:40 pm

That movie wasn't flying, it was falling without style!

Big meh. I kinda hated it. Storyline lacked cohesion and felt extremely rushed. There was no fun to Buzz whatsoever. Really didn't like the other characters in the crew, (Darby and especially Mo) they were so annoying and felt totally out of place. Wasn't a fan of the twist either. Sox was the best part and enjoyed the call backs. I didn't see it exciting enough to believe that Andy would want a Buzz Lightyear action figure, though. It was so dark and kinda depressing. There's three post-credits scenes, with the last one bating a potential sequel. I sincerely hope that doesn't become a reality. Even going in with low expectations I was disappointed.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 4th, 2022, 4:27 pm

I donut think Buzz II: The Next Lightyear is happening anytime soon. Maybe this is the time I break off my Pixar streak on disc? I look forward to checking it out on D+ over the weekend…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 4th, 2022, 6:49 pm

Between the mediocrity (or worse) of the films, and their availability on Disney+, it's getting easier for me - even as a diehard physical media collector - to avoid buying discs of recent Disney/Marvel/Pixar films. My wife will be happy to hear this.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 4th, 2022, 8:52 pm

Sad that it has come to this… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 5th, 2022, 1:17 am

I never bought everything from the beginning. I don't see any reason to buy something like Chicken Little or Cars 2, which I don't plan on ever rewatching, just for completion's sake.

I saw that Lightyear is on Disney+ and I couldn't bother rewatching it on there, let alone buying it. Watching the film in theaters made me realize that I need to be more selective about which movies I go to see, which is why I decided not to go to Strange World, and only watching it when it comes to D+, probably on Christmas like Encanto did, I can wait 30-45 days.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 5th, 2022, 11:38 am

Toys are marked down in price at our target when i went two days ago to buy some manga. Ouch.