Disney Pixar's Lightyear

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney Pixar's Lightyear

Post by Ben » August 31st, 2022, 11:01 am

I nearly typed "well that was worth the wait" yesterday…and couldn’t even muster up the effort to do even that!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » January 27th, 2023, 12:18 pm

James wrote:
June 13th, 2022, 2:07 pm
Kaszubas wrote:
June 12th, 2022, 4:24 am
...BTW Can you summarize your overall impression in one world/sentence before your review get published?
It was pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking. But nothing terrible. Pretty by-the-numbers and straightforward story. Doesn't hold a candle to the Pixar golden age, but nothing does these days.
Thanks. After watching I must say it was more like… mediocre… at best. Quite sad experience. I hoped for it to be soooo much better. Some scenes and characters are quite good. Visuals ate splendid (even if design-wise a bit generic), but overall it’s disappointment in my book.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » March 18th, 2023, 4:27 pm

Even Disney forgot about this movie so much that they don't even know who Izzy Hawthorne is:
https://twitter.com/DisneyPlus/status/1 ... vmp9Q&s=19

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » April 15th, 2023, 12:38 am

Lightyear
Pixar/Walt Disney
Total Loss: -$106M

One would think an extension of the Toy Story franchise, a spinoff about Buzz Lightyear, would be a sure-fire win, but devoted fans weren’t thrilled that Tim Allen wasn’t doing the voice-over (Chris Evans took over), not to mention their issues with the movie taking liberties with Toy Story canon. The $50.5 million domestic start wasn’t going to get Lightyear to the moon at the summer box office. Also potentially impacting grosses: former moviegoers getting too comfortable with seeing Pixar movies at home on Disney+ after Soul and Turning Red were sent straight to the service. Per CEO Bob Iger, Disney is returning to the regular Toy Story franchise with a fifthquel. With an A- CinemaScore, Lightyear had the lowest grade to date for a Toy Story movie. Critical reception fell from the typical 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes to 74% on Lightyear.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/biggest-bo ... 235325138/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2023, 3:17 am

I’m glad the message is there that streaming has tarnished the brands, although a better film (and, yes, Tim Allen) would have helped. Interesting to see how TS5 does: it’s something of a knee-jerk reaction, so will audiences embrace it, or will it be rejected as one too far…?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 15th, 2023, 9:37 am

Toy Story 4 was already one too far, but maybe it'll be forgotten by then.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » April 15th, 2023, 10:00 am

I rewatched the Toy Story movies recently and decided to stop with the third one, I didn't feel the need to continue, I actually don't think Toy Story 4 is bad, but it's definitely not on par with the others, and I don't feel like it justified its existence. I kind of regret buying it, but that's pretty much how I feel about all the Pixar movies that were made after Toy Story 3. I do enjoy Incredibles 2 a lot, but I think "Evil Endeavors" and her plan were stupid, and I can't get over the fact that the kids never bothered removing the glasses from the other superheroes when they had many chances or that there's this character, Voyd, who could have opened a portal and prevent the ship from crashing the city pretty easily. The action sequences are good and entertaining though.